Logging in pasta - confused about uncooked/cooked! calories

Options

Replies

• karenmarie1234
    Options
    "Correct me if I'm wrong... but if dry pasta is boiled in water, then wouldn't the nutrition information be the same regardless of if it's cooked or not?"

You are correct... if you know the calories in the dry pasta it will not increase in the cooked pasta. The problem lies with cooking more than one serving of pasta at the same time... you don't know how much is a serving once it is cooked.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    That weight on the box is for cooked pasta. Simple. It says so and the numbers are not even close to correct if it was dry weight.

I don't know where you buy yours at, but every box I've ever bought says the serving weight is for dry pasta.
    Right. And the weight on the front is the dry weight. My box says 411g total on the front. The nutrition info box says a serving is 56g or around 1/7 of the box. I pulled it out and weighed it. Those are dry weights.

I think it says "cooked as directed" to signify that if you boil it in vodka sauce, it's going to have more calories than boiled in water, as directed, even if you rinse the vodka sauce off. "Prepared as directed" is more useful on a package of dry pudding mix or something you mix with a caloric ingredient in order to eat it.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I cook up a package of pasta and then weigh it after it is cooked. I then divide the cooked weight by the number of servings the box says it should be to come up with how much I should put on my plate per the recommended serving.

I may also take the total amount of calories in the box and divide it by the number of grams the cooked pasta totals. This gives me the calories per gram on the cooked pasta. It is interesting how much it can vary each time I cook pasta.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    That weight on the box is for cooked pasta. Simple. It says so and the numbers are not even close to correct if it was dry weight.

I don't know where you buy yours at, but every box I've ever bought says the serving weight is for dry pasta.
    Right. And the weight on the front is the dry weight. My box says 411g total on the front. The nutrition info box says a serving is 56g or around 1/7 of the box. I pulled it out and weighed it. Those are dry weights.

I think it says "cooked as directed" to signify that if you boil it in vodka sauce, it's going to have more calories than boiled in water, as directed, even if you rinse the vodka sauce off. "Prepared as directed" is more useful on a package of dry pudding mix or something you mix with a caloric ingredient in order to eat it.

I understand all that and it makes sense but I've never seen any kind of pasta that 156 calories for 100 grams dry. Mine would be more like 400 calories for 100 grams dry. Unless maybe it's the kind that isn't dried pasta but comes from the refrigerator section? I haven't bought that kind so I'm not sure how it compares.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

I understand all that and it makes sense but I've never seen any kind of pasta that 156 calories for 100 grams dry. Mine would be more like 400 calories for 100 grams dry. Unless maybe it's the kind that isn't dried pasta but comes from the refrigerator section? I haven't bought that kind so I'm not sure how it compares.
    Oh you're right, I didn't notice that '156 calories for 100g' in the original post. That does sound like cooked weight, which would imply the pasta was sold cooked.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Oh you're right, I didn't notice that '156 calories for 100g' in the original post. That does sound like cooked weight, which would imply the pasta was sold cooked.

I was just sitting here thinking you're right and it's for fresh. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OP can we get a picture of the packaging?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I think we're saying the same thing. By "cooked" I mean non-dehydrated, which is aka "fresh". The package says to cook it 10-12 minutes. So "fresh" is probably the better word than "cooked". :happy:

So, yeah, if it's non-dried pasta, the weight is the weight, right? :indifferent:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I think we're saying the same thing. By "cooked" I mean non-dehydrated, which is aka "fresh". The package says to cook it 10-12 minutes. So "fresh" is probably the better word than "cooked". :happy:

So, yeah, if it's non-dried pasta, the weight is the weight, right? :indifferent:

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

:laugh:
  • adampierce142
    adampierce142 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So one packet of 500g of fusilli pasta states;
    (as directly cooked)(on hob) 100g per serving gives around 156 calories

Another packet of fusili pasta 500g states;
    as sold per 75g gives around 270calories

Why is this the case? Obviously the second case refers to dry pasta. so when i log pasta into my diary do i log it as dry/raw pasta or cooked pasta?
  • adampierce142
    Options
    here is a link to the pasta fusilli packet that i've been speaking about

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/37484
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Okay it says "cooked" so let's go with that. That makes sense in terms of the calorie count as well.
  • adampierce142
    Options

Okay it says "cooked" so let's go with that. That makes sense in terms of the calorie count as well.

Why is this the case? Obviously the second case refers to dry pasta. so when i log pasta into my diary do i log it as dry/raw pasta or cooked pasta?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Use the package information for the package that you bought.

Go to the database and type in ASDA fusilli pasta. Choose the one that matches your package-- I found it easily. Add that to your log. Cook your pasta. Weigh out 100 grams. Eat.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I guess US labeling norms differ from UK. It looks like a shelf stable product so it must be dried pasta but with 'cooked weight' N.I.

I'd have some popcorn instead. Easier to log. :happy:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I guess US labeling norms differ from UK. It looks like a shelf stable product so it must be dried pasta but with 'cooked weight' N.I.

I'd have some popcorn instead. Easier to log. :happy:

I know, it's weird.

I'd buy a different kind. :laugh:
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Not to encourage inaccuracies but I had the same problem. I now search "cooked pasta" in the database and can ususally find something that makes sense. My portions are usually 1/2 cup or 1 cup of cooked pasta..or you can find it in ounces/grams. I am a very dedicated logger but, I dont go too crazy with that stuff.
  • adampierce142
    Options

Go to the database and type in ASDA fusilli pasta. Choose the one that matches your package-- I found it easily. Add that to your log. Cook your pasta. Weigh out 100 grams. Eat.

Yeah that's the method that i have been using. However i've done a bit of research and there's a big difference between Asda pasta fusilli and morrisons pasta fusilli 500g. Look here;

ASDA - http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/37484
    (156calories per 100g)

MORRISONS - http://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Fusilli/114201011?from=shop&tags=|105651|102705|102605|102623&parentContainer=|102705|102605|102623_SHELFVIEW
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    How are they making this pasta without eggs?! The only ingredient is durum semolina wheat?! :noway:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Yeah that's the method that i have been using. However i've done a bit of research and there's a big difference between Asda pasta fusilli and morrisons pasta fusilli 500g. Look here;

ASDA - http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/37484
    (156calories per 100g)

MORRISONS - http://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Fusilli/114201011?from=shop&tags=|105651|102705|102605|102623&parentContainer=|102705|102605|102623_SHELFVIEW

Okay but you bought ASDA. So use that one.
  • adampierce142
    Options
    How can there be such stark differences between these two products? for some reason i'm still suspicious about Asda's fusilli pasta (100g can only contain 156 calories? even i don't believe it, yet it states on the packet