New Insanity Thread

Options

Replies

• nicoletteamber
    nicoletteamber Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Checking in! Hi hi everyone. Hope everyone's having a good week. One more day before the insanity week is over right?! I've got one more day of the 4th week and then head into recovery week. What is that like for those who have done it? Same DVD every day! I'm kind of nervous for it.

Well for those who have mentioned not seeing the scale drop, I certainly didn't either the first couple weeks. I was sticking to a 1200 cal diet but not paying ANY attention to macros. I thought I was eating clean but boy was I wrong. Week 3 & 4 I realized I was burning wayyyy too much and the 1200 cal I was eating was clinging to my body. I upped it to 1400-1500. This next couple weeks I'm bumping it up again to 1600-1700 and then 1800 because my body fat % hasn't dropped much in the 4 weeks. That should help a ton. And sticking to my macronutrient goals!! Anywho for those sticking to the 1200 cal food intake, it may be too little for your body to want to drop weight or at least the right kind of weight. Check in with how much you're actually burning. I've been burning 2400-2700 cal a day... I was reading on some forums you should be eating 75% of your daily burn and still be able to lose weight. For example, I can burn 2400 cal in a day, eat my 75% so 1800 cal and still have a 600 cal deficit! Anywho, try that. I'm slowly working up to eating 1800 cal... it's so so hard, just have to throw in an extra protein shake with some peanut butter. It's amazing how I can eat 1500+ cal of pizza and beer and desert in one sitting. But give me 1500 of healthy food it's much more filling and harder to eat all of it.

Does anyone have a fit bit or heart rate monitor they use while working out? That's the only way to know how much I'm actually burning in a day. Sometimes my fitness pal says I burn more or less than I actually do during workouts so I bought one of the cheaper garmin HRM. It's amazing how my tired sore days I don't burn nearly as much as a pumped up day. I'm trying to be more accountable. It definitely helps me know that I don't deserve that cookie ;). I have added the gym 3 X a week just full body 1 hour weight lifting. Next month I'll try to add a hike with the dogs once a week and hot yoga once a week. When it gets cold here (Boise, ID) I'm a hot yoga freak. I need the warmth!

I have 2 prior hip injuries and a year old inguinal hernia repair. So lately I've been having more pain with insanity ugh! Hopefully month 2 doesn't make it hurt more.

As far as the question what is the plans after insanity? What's everyone's plan? Has anyone done the asylums? I thought about doing those. But I do have turbo fire and piyo I think I will combine and try along with the gym. Give my hips a rest then try asylum. I seem to keep buying the programs and stashing them for later ;). I just love beach body programs!!!!

So tell me how everyone's feeling? Anyone have progress pics or measurements like in/lbs they've lost? Even the littlest amount is encouraging, no matter what we're working on our physical fitness and insanity sure helps. Proud of everyone for sticking with it!!!!! I'm glad people are posting, it's super encouraging. Sorry I'm super chatty :) my friends haven't been too encouraging they're all about going out with the bad foods and drinking and my husband is on the other side of the country for Army stuff so I'm just trying to keep on keeping on with people who are doing the same program!

Have a great Friday!! It's memorial day weekend!
  • wjelly
    wjelly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi glad to see you're still pushing on it is a good thread to keep in touch with others so thanks for starting it and giving everyone a platform to update on where they are and how they're doing, it's definitely important to have that and helps me realise I'm not alone in this battle.

It must be difficult with your husband away but having this gives you something to focus on and instead of your friends and there bad food/drinking we will all be here giving you encouragement you can be sure of that.

My plan is to finish insanity and possibly move onto p90x or similar with a bit of T25 or perhaps freelatics I'm not sure yet. It's difficult to decide as I love my cycling and once all this is over I want to make sure I get out on the bike a lot more.

@mekflari I took a look at that link, I can relate to a lot of it, the sweat in the mouth ha ha eeeewwwww I've not experinced that since running around a school playground in the height of summer, thank you insanity for reminding me what it tastes like.

Day 24 done it wasn't that bad even though I cycled the 25 mile round trip today (I couldn't face the train commute) took it really easy on the bike and once I got home left it a couple of hours. Legs were very tight but after the warm up and stretches they were fine.

This s*** is bananas yo! :laugh:
  • mekflari
    mekflari Posts: 11
    Options
    Day 47 crossed off the calendar. This was the first day that involved "Insane abs" .. along with the "max cardio conditioning" which is pretty much "pure cardio" but harder. First of all this was a LOOOOOOONG workout that made me burn so many calories I couldn't even believe it but also I wanted to die several times during it ... wasn't very happy about pushing play in the first place so the lack of enthusiasm probably had a lot to do with me feeling like **** during the workout.
    MY CORE, ABS AND OBLIQUES STILL BURN and I'm currently just lying in bed. I have developed a weird relationship with this "Insane Abs" DVD ... I hated every part of it during the workout - nothing ever burned so much but now I kinda want to do it everyday.

@nicoletteambe Going into recovery week I was soooo tired, my hip flexors couldn't take another workout, my calfs were killing me it's basically like ShaunT knew when will I start slowly dying and decided to call it "recovery week" (the problems were really in my shoes I realized later on so I went to buy new ones... but that's not the point). So in my mind I was just like... finally a break this will be some stretching and I will be as good as new...wrong. I was so tired on that second day of "core cardio and balance" I thought to myself that if I can barley get trough a recovery workout I'm gonna die in month 2. But that was just the second day it got way better by the end of the week and kinda boring with the same video over and over. It did help me recover a little though I gotta admit ... I was about to quit that week and it made me feel better in the end. Perfect example there that pushing trough means a lot.

I actually have "core cardio and balance" on the calendar tomorrow but I'm still sick of that video, good thing there's a replacement for it called "max interval sports training" the name is kinda intimidating but let's do this!!

I'm thinking more and more about doing The Asylum after Insanity, I still have a good amount of fat that is apparently glued to my waist and won't get off just yet. I need something at least as strong as Insanity and I think I'll find it in Asylum. And it's just 30 days it will be over before I know it, so I think I'm gonna give it a try.

I have a fit test on Monday along with measurments and stuff, I'll share my results so far then :)

@wjelly I laughed so much reading that blog and it even helped me a little today .. there's this weird move ShaunT makes you do to "recover" a little when you just wanna stop and break the DVD and the blogger commented on it like: "I just prettend like I'm a butterfly" ... so instead of breaking the DVD I remembered that, laughed and contunued :laugh:. The sweat in the eyeballys during the first stretching is also very very relatable haha.

Happy Friday everyone :flowerforyou: (although here in Europe it's already Saturday).
  • 108victorian
    108victorian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @mekflari, I've entered recovery week today and I feel the same as you did entering it. I'm flat out tired and sore. And my feet! they are on FIRE! You mentioned changing shoes and it helped, what sort of shoes did you change into? I've rotated various running shoes and my Vibrams, the latter seems the best so far, but my feet are still suffering. I assume time will strengthen the ol' arches but I'd certainly wouldn't miss the feeling of hot pokers in my feet. Any sage advice?
  • mekflari
    mekflari Posts: 11
    Options
    @108victorian I had really really old and heavy shoes it was just wroooong. Then I decided I might buy some light running shoes - the oposite of what I had of course but thank God before I did that I did a little research first (asked google and youtube). Basically people were going on and on about Reebok training shoes and Nike Free 3.0 or 5.0 tr fit to be the best. Everyone agreed on one thing - don't do insanity with running shoes because it offers no support to your feet in all those jumps and everything.

I also tried working out barefoot because that seems to work well for some people...not for me it didn't change the pain and burn at all.

I went to the store and bought Nike Free 5.0 tr fit and my calfs are thanking me already. Sometimes my feet burn after the warm up in that stretching time but not everytime I think slowly that is going away.

I also came across some people saying Vibrams work for them so I'm not sure what is the real smart thing to do here :huh:

Here's a thread on MFP where maybe you'll find something useful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/501630-best-shoes-for-home-workouts-like-insanity

Anyway...this recovery week was an awful thing for me, probably more in my mind than anything else so I hope you all get trough it without mayor difficulties!!

DIG DEEP :laugh:
  • wjelly
    Options
    Had a really busy weekend so just a quick update....

I only have one more workout to do (on Monday) and then I head into recovery week, it will feel good to get month 1 out of the way and just wind down a little bit although the recovery workout doesn't look that easy lol.

I picked up a tri curl bar on Saturday (similar to a ez curl bar) with 4x5kg plates, the last time I picked up some dumbells which weren't quite so heavy I had to stop twice on the 1 mile walk home. Carrying the 20kg and 5kg bar home wasn't to bad and I never stopped so quite pleased with that :happy:

So that'll be my focus during recovery, a bit of weight training mixed in with a few abs workouts from the HASfit youtube site.

Keep pushing play ya'll!!!!
  • wjelly
    Options
    That is month 1 completed, wow so glad to have got this far and look forward to a rest day tomorrow followed by the recovery week. The last few days have brought fresh aches especially from the muscles a few inches below the hips, no idea that those muscles existed before lol so definately hitting strange places.

I'll give my thoughts on month 1 tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

Hope everyone is doing ok :wink:

Oh you wanna leave?!??!?!:noway:
  • wjelly
    Options
    As promised here's my month1 look back and the journey (of highs and lows) so far.

You know it was months and months ago when I decided to take on insanity, I'd done the fit test but that didn't really prepare me for what was to come. I've always liked a challenge and as I've got older that hasn't changed, in fact the desire to push myself has never been higher. I guess I'm just stubborn.

It wasn't long before I started questioning whether my decision to do this was the right choice, I'd told everyone I knew my plans and also my work colleagues, two of whom tried the fit test, one was sick the other decided it wasn't for him. Here I was struggling on day 3 my legs were begging me to stop but my heart and mind wouldn't let me. I just told them to shut up lol

That was probably the hardest part because even the warm up was a struggle, countless water breaks and my own timeouts pressing pause while these athletes on the screen were making me look bad. Thats probably one of my criticisms of the workouts, why not have a couple of average Joes in amongst the elites to give us a fighting chance? Perhaps it wouldn't be good marketing but it certainly would have been nice to have had a chance of keeping up with someone.

Anyway I pushed on trying to focus, core tight, how many times I'd forgotten to engage my core lol now as the month has progressed it's something I am always telling myself. Thats an area where I have really improved and now when I engage those muscles it feels like I haven't I guess thats what tightened abs feel like.

Other things I have noticed is my fitness levels have increased, around the end of week 2 I didn't have to rest during the warm ups but I could progress to the very end, even keeping up and surpassing 1 or 2 of the people on show. This is when I started to really enjoy the workouts, on a rest day I'd actually start to miss Shaun T and his posse.

I have to admit though now I'm at the end of this month it's a relief especially for my legs, they're used to hard work from miles of cycling but all the impacts from the moves have taken there toll, hopefully this recovery week will give them a much needed rest and I can put a few more miles in on the bike without thinking about my next workout.

A few people have asked if insanity is right for them and I will say this, if you have any weaknesses in your joints especially kness I would say steer clear and don't even think about it, if you're very unfit do something else to get yourself at a level before trying this and lastly if you usually quit things because they're to hard/you can't be bothered then the answers NO!

Am I ready to take it to the next level? You bet! :wink:
  • 108victorian
    108victorian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @wjelly; great job finishing month 1!

So, it's official, Recovery Week = the week you see serious physical results.

Hallelujah! Within 3 days of recovery week I've dropped like 4 inches in my waist alone. Crazy. Each day that stubborn layer of fat that hid my awesome muscles is vanishing like magic. I love it. And recovery week is tough, don't let the name fool you. But, it is enough recovery to give your body the break it needs to "heal" and release the junk (in the trunk) that it was holding onto during the whole "shock n awe (sorry I hate that term)" phase. Niiiiiice. I wore a pencil skirt to the lab today and I saw my employees sneaking admiring peeks. Ha ha, felt good.
  • wjelly
    Options
    @108victorian thats brilliant news must make you feel so good especially sticking on a skirt like that and catching people checking you out :happy:

I had a funny one a week or so back, out on my bike and two women in there 20's were crossing the road and just as they got to by me one said to the other phwoar he's well fit, I had headphones on at the time (I think she thought I didn't hear her) I pulled one earpiece out and said thanks haha she went bright red :blushing:

Back to this recovery week, you were right it is hard to, tried to take it easy and just about stayed with them.

Anyway time for bed, once again well done!
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As someone who has completed 3 rounds of P90x and 1/2 of Insanity, I applaud each and every one of you. Keep showing up, keep pushing play.
    Most of all, learn. Meaning, learn from p90 and insanity that its much more than just a routine or another video.

By doing them for so long, I myself learned about Splits and how Tony and Shaun both show proper form and control and how to breath.

As I read through this I too thought, ok now what after? what happens? Another round or do I break away from it, this all of you will answer soon enough however you will likely continue on I hope, you will take each cardio session and lifting session and come away that much wiser and whether it may be inside a gym or at home, you'll likely use proper form and technique, avoid injury and continue on your weight loss goals and simply LVFT

advice?
    -keep pushing play
    -follow macros for best results that are specific to you and activity level
    -dont give up just yet
    #alwayshungryneversatisfied
  • photojennic82
    Options
    this is motivating... staying posted :)
  • Louise3180
    Louise3180 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! It appears a few more have joined the thread since I last posted, that is great :smile:

I have been really bad the last week :sad: My food has been TERRIBLE. And I don't mean a little naughty, I mean TERRIBLE. I think I am addicted to sugar. And carbs, maybe. Definitely sugar though. Today alone I have eaten two doughnuts, a large bar of dairy milk with Oreos, a feast ice cream and half a large bar of sainsburys milk chocolate. Obviously that doesn't include my normal meals or the bottle of Fanta I have had. I have been slipping with the workouts but other than one day when I was so exhausted I could barely move, I have missed them because of visitors. Don't fancy leaping about in front of others. Or perhaps that is an easy excuse?

Anyway, I will read back through all the posts. I am aiming to do a meal plan tonight and get back on it from tomorrow, hope everyone else is doing well!

Wish me luck guys :drinker:
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Almost finished week 2 of month 1. Noticing some subtle changes, but i guess more will following looking at the earlier posts.

Its tough going, but kind of addictive.... Is that wrong? :)

Good luck everyone, lets keep going!
  • nicoletteamber
    Options
    Hey everyone! Looks like most everyone is keeping up with the program. These last two weeks have been insane at work, long hours, overtime, but I haven't missed a video!! Next week starts max interval. I'm exited. I've read some people having some trouble with eating. The only way I remain successful with diet is food prepping in advance. I mean putting my entire diet for the week into my fitness pal and matching up my macros, calories, etc. This week I upped my calories to 1650 from 1450. So slowly increasing the amount of healthy foods I'm eating. I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I am a pizza addict. Before the program I would eat pizza 1-2 times week. Since I started the program, almost 5 weeks now, I've had pizza once. One time in a month. (Although to be fair, I started the program Aug 4th.. so I crammed in pizza before I started.) So last month total I had pizza 4 times. But, the last time was a month ago. That was a huge step for me. But meal planning has made it successful.

Some things that keep me accountable is a monthly calendar that I put all my exercise stuff on (insanity, dog walks, hikes, gym, hot yoga, etc). I also have a sheet for my progress measurements. Lastly, I have a cheat with ALL my cheat meals and cheat snacks on it. Having to put a mark on a cheat meal or cheat snack and then put my "Days since last cheat anything" reset to 0 really makes me sad! So it helps keep me way accountable. I am however going to see my husband on thursday so this week has been super hard work and clean eating. Luckily I can do the DVDs there when I see him but I think I'm going to binge on some pizza beer and more bad foods. Come home and get right back at it. We'll see, it's hard to break the addiction, give yourself a quick break, and get back to the healthy stuff.

Any who hope everyone has a good weekend and enjoys their rest day of insanity!! Keep pushing!! Happy to hear people seeing results. Anyone willing to share result pictures or measurements??? I'll post mine on monday. :)
  • twinkers88
    twinkers88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I was wondering how you are documenting your insanity workouts on myfitnesspal. I have been documenting them as circuit cardio, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.
  • cjudesaenz
    cjudesaenz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm on week three... and I'm seeing results cardiovascular wise and some inches lost and of course every girls dream of looking better in clothes. BUT the scale hasn't moved... anyone else having this issue or will it all pay off in the end... Im doing well with my diet and kcals... Im not stopping I'm just wondering
  • nicoletteamber
    Options
    Well I have a fitbit so I don't track it on mfp, I track it on my fitbit app. But I use a heart rate monitor so I actually get to put in the amount of calories I've burned per DVD.

As far as the scale not budging, but you saying that you've lost pounds, that's a great thing!! I'm sure it doesn't seem like it but that means that instead of losing weight--you're staying the same, but by doing that you're burning fat and creating/sculpting muscle. So you probably are at the same weight but your body fat is lower! Have you done bf % measurements before? You could start tracking that to see if that's what it is. But that's what it sounds like if you're losing inches. Your altering your body mass :) definitely be happy about that! If you do however, want to lose weight at the same time, how much are you eating and do you know your macronutrient percentages? You can get a weekly average on mfp. Let me now maybe I can helP!
  • oykumceren
    oykumceren Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Last week we went on holiday so I couldn't do anything :sad: But I had a chance to finish week one so this week I'm coming baaack :laugh:
  • wjelly
    Options
    Hi all quick update - day 32 completed so just over halfway through now and a big psychological boost as far as I'm concerned. Did get really tired towards the end of the week after clocking up 135 miles on the bike, I managed to get through it and looking forward to month 2 :cry: lol

I'm quite enjoying the recovery days (4 so far) not that it's a break as such but it's nice just getting myself prepared for month 2.

Anyway hope ya'll are having a great weekend!