Bulk up(Gain muscle) or Burn Fat(Lose Weight)?

Options
Hey I need some help,
I need to know whether I should gain weight or lose it. I'm an 18 year guy, I weigh 154, my height is 5'9 and my bf is anywhere from %14-18. I have somewhat of a gut and some fat around chest, back and stomach. I have access to a gym and protein supplements(I know these aren't the best but they still help). What do you guys think I should do?

Replies

• skaffle
    skaffle Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's really up to you.
    Some people are more strict about it and suggest cutting to around 10% bf (or lower) before any bulking, but at your height/weight I would presonally suggest you get started on a lifting program and eating at a surplus (bulking) to put on some size first.

Either way, the gym access will help a lot since you should start lifting a.s.a.p. whether you decide to cut first or bulk.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    IF you are really at that body fat percentage, I say bulk. You are very light. Don't go crazy, do a smart strength training routine such as Starting Strength, HST, Wendler 5-3-1 big but boring. Make sure you start very light and use compound movements with linear progression. Find your maintenance calories and eat maybe 500 over per day. Track everything e.g. measurements, strength gains, etc. If no weight gain, or fail to progress in a linear fashion add in more calories.

Linear progression will probably end when you can do at least, the weights below or about 6 months. If you are not progressing, you are not eating enough
    Squat 1.5 to 2x of your body weight (5 reps)
    Deadlift 2x to 2.5x our body weight (5 reps)
    Bench 1x body weight (5 reps)