how to fail at losing weight...

Options
I posted this on my blog last week, and several people have asked me to re-post it on the forums...so at the risk of shameless self blog promotion, here goes:

This post is maybe going to sound judge-y, but I assure you, it's all from a place of love. I see so many posts and just think "Oh, man...that's not going to last for you". In fact, as of late, I'm trying to stay off of the boards because I'm cranky. But, since we're all friends here...here's my how-to prescription of tough-love "You're doing it wrong!". I'm not judging. I have done all these things, and I have seen hundreds, if not thousands of people come on MFP and then dissapear without a trace. . .

{continue reading (the much longer blog) here: }

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/viviakay/view/how-to-fail-at-losing-weight-59678#comments

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    GREAT summary - I agree with all of it!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I like tough love, and I loved the blog post!
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Thank you for sharing it on the forums!
  • ZHawk1123
    ZHawk1123 Posts: 215
    Options
    Great post!

I agree on all fronts.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think your missing something. If you eat say 12,000 cals mon thru sat and lets say you eat 5,000 on sunday not watching. You consume 17,000 cals but your body only burns lets say your body burns 2400 cals a day so thats 16,800 for the week. How are you going to lose weight with 200 cal surplus? Calories in vs calories out. Going crazy for a whole day never stops. If we could control we wouldnt be fat. Read Tom Venuto Burn the fat feed the muscle that gave me clarity. Just my opinion
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    We should have a cranky club - I just went cranky on someone in a different thread. Cranks, unite!

I like the way you think, even if I don't make the same choices, and that's *ok* for both of us. Thoughtfulness and learning are *good*.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think your missing something. If you eat say 12,000 cals mon thru sat and lets say you eat 5,000 on sunday not watching. You consume 17,000 cals but your body only burns lets say your body burns 2400 cals a day so thats 16,800 for the week. How are you going to lose weight with 200 cal surplus? Calories in vs calories out. Going crazy for a whole day never stops. If we could control we wouldnt be fat. Read Tom Venuto Burn the fat feed the muscle that gave me clarity. Just my opinion

Wait, what? If you read the post, I am not advising that you do this...um..at all...it's a blog post about "how NOT to lose weight"...so in the numbered bits, I'm saying the opposite of what I mean.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    We should have a cranky club - I just went cranky on someone in a different thread. Cranks, unite!

Ha - I like this. I've been crankier lately, probably due to the influx of new users and their question... one can only see/answer the same question so many times before losing it! :laugh: I've been staying away from the boards more lately because of it all... I don't like being cranky but sometimes you just can't help it!
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    I wanna read this blog but need sleep now :yawn: so bumping it for tomorrow
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Loved it the first time and love it even more this time! I have had to refrain from the cranky responses this week too. I have either bit my tongue and not posted, or if I have answered the post topic many times, I go find the response I typed before and paste the exact same answer again. :smile:
  • Katz85340
    Katz85340 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I posted this on my blog last week, and several people have asked me to re-post it on the forums...so at the risk of shameless self blog promotion, here goes:

This post is maybe going to sound judge-y, but I assure you, it's all from a place of love. I see so many posts and just think "Oh, man...that's not going to last for you". In fact, as of late, I'm trying to stay off of the boards because I'm cranky. But, since we're all friends here...here's my how-to prescription of tough-love "You're doing it wrong!". I'm not judging. I have done all these things, and I have seen hundreds, if not thousands of people come on MFP and then dissapear without a trace. . .

{continue reading (the much longer blog) here: }

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/viviakay/view/how-to-fail-at-losing-weight-59678#comments

I agree with everything you've said! It's taken a long time, and I still have a long way to go but you are right on the money!
  • lot013
    lot013 Posts: 53
    Options
    bump
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this again. Thanks for posting!
  • Keekaj520
    Options
    Awesome!!! :) I'm so glad I read your blog. Thanks so much!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    good blog but some things just are not the same for everyone.I started exercising in april and keeping a food journal i rarely got to 1200 and I lost 40 lbs then in september I moved and was unable to go to the gym anymore and just stopped trying till january ,I never gained any of the 40 back.I also have cheat days,I dont go crazy but I dont worry about what im going to eat.Im just not hungry very much I have always been that way thats whats normal for me.I will not eat if im not hungry I know my body.
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump - I love this no-nonsense approach. I've been cranky lately with certain forum posts too :)