You'll go bananas for this ice cream substitute!

Options
2»

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Sounds fantastic. . .Thanks for sharing!:bigsmile:
  • nzchikky
    nzchikky Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ive tried doing this in my blender but it always ends up sloppy and not creamy like ice cream just looks like mashed bananas. Not sure what I am doing wrong?
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Just going to leave this here:-
    1zmm5mv.jpg

Ben and Jerry's chunky monkey for the record
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'll go for the chunky monkey instead!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Just going to leave this here:-
    1zmm5mv.jpg

Ben and Jerry's chunky monkey for the record

That's great.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Ive tried doing this in my blender but it always ends up sloppy and not creamy like ice cream just looks like mashed bananas. Not sure what I am doing wrong?

I'm not sure how it would work in a blender, since I used a food processor. It could be that the bananas aren't frozen enough; how long did you freeze them for? I also didn't add any additional liquids to mine (only think I added was the chocolate/peanut butter mixture), so if you're using liquids (like almond or skim milk), that may affect it as well.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you like smoothies, the Sally's Baking Addiction website has some awesome smoothies that use a banana base and they don't even taste like bananas. I love the one that tastes like cake.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    This is about the same calorie count as a Dairy Queen vanilla cone and quite a bit higher calorie than most sugar-free low-fat ice cream. Why is this a better alternative?
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    The cake milkshake is: frozen, whipped bananas, greek yogurt, almond milk, vanilla extract and sprinkles. You can play with the flavors of the yogurt and extract to change it up.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    This is about the same calorie count as a Dairy Queen vanilla cone and quite a bit higher calorie than most sugar-free low-fat ice cream. Why is this a better alternative?

Some people can't eat dairy (and can omit dairy items in this recipe for non dairy items).
    Some people don't like ice cream.
    Some people want to incorporate more fruit into their diet.
    Some people don't like Dairy Queen.

Just a few examples.

I would also like to add I never said this was a better alternative. I called it an ice cream substitute.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    The cake milkshake is: frozen, whipped bananas, greek yogurt, almond milk, vanilla extract and sprinkles. You can play with the flavors of the yogurt and extract to change it up.

448.jpg
    I really want to try this tonight...another excuse to buy more bananas!
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options

448.jpg

LOL that cat is awesome.
    Here is the website: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/05/27/skinny-funfetti-milkshake/

I've only tried her smoothies but her other recipes look AMAZING too. She has a LOT of really awesome smoothies - even one that tastes like Almond Joy, a mint chocolate one and a bunch of others, and a lot of healthy desserts too.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

448.jpg

LOL that cat is awesome.
    Here is the website: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/05/27/skinny-funfetti-milkshake/

I've only tried her smoothies but her other recipes look AMAZING too. She has a LOT of really awesome smoothies - even one that tastes like Almond Joy, a mint chocolate one and a bunch of others, and a lot of healthy desserts too.

I'll have to check her site out! I'm looking for new ways to indulge my sweet tooth. :) Plus I feel like it's cheaper; I made my "ice cream" for less than the price of a pint of Ben and Jerry's!
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, if I leave what I typed here, someone will come along and list all the poisons that are in bananas. LOL (story of my forum life)

I'm going to try this soon. I've wanted to since you posted it, but I'm waiting for my banana to ripen (I think it would taste terrible right now, simply because the banana hasn't reached that "overripe sweet factor" yet.

Thank you for posting it!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Nevermind, if I leave what I typed here, someone will come along and list all the poisons that are in bananas. LOL (story of my forum life)

I'm going to try this soon. I've wanted to since you posted it, but I'm waiting for my banana to ripen (I think it would taste terrible right now, simply because the banana hasn't reached that "overripe sweet factor" yet.

Thank you for posting it!

No problem! I definitely want to try this again with more ripe bananas. I did this when the peel was still yellow, but I think it would be better to try with spotted peels. Definitely think the flavor would be much better!
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    I currently have some bananas that I'm browning. They're deliberately taking their time.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I currently have some bananas that I'm browning. They're deliberately taking their time.

Who do they think they are, doing that to you?