Is this diet plan safe?

Options
I'm 5'9 with a weight of 109kg and I started going on a diet on August 16, 2014.

My routine was:
1. Breakfast: Eggs or Hotdog or Bacon with 6-10 spoons of rice
2. Lunch: Anything my mom cooks with 6-10 spoons of rice
3. Exercise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R9z24gJhWY
4. Dinner: Anything my mom cooks with 6-10 spoons of rice

And the results were:
Aug 9 - Aug 15 = 1kg lost (108kg)
Aug 16 - Aug 22 = 1kg lost (107kg)
Aug 23 - Aug 29 = .5kg lost (106.5kg)

But I recently tried a diet plan called the 14 day Fitnesse Challenge
More can be found here: (http://www.nestle-family.com/14days/english/)

I used the original cereal because it has less calories than the other varieties, the cereal has about 150+ calories per 30g and the Milk I use has about 39 calories per 100ml

My routine was:
1. Breakfast: 30g of cereal + 50-100ml Cowhead Milk
2. Snack: 100g Apple ( about 50+ calories)
3. Lunch: Anything my mom cooks + 1 cup or 10+ spoons of rice
4. Snack: 100g Apple ( about 50+ calories)
5. Exercise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R9z24gJhWY
6. Dinner: Breakfast: 30g of cereal + 50-100ml Cowhead Milk
7. Snack: 100g Apple (about 50+ calories)
8. Night Coffee: Alkaline zero calorie coffee sweetened by Stevia

After a week I LOST 2.5KGS! yes, not pounds but KILOGRAMS, I stepped into the scale and from 106.5kg I weighed 104kg

Now I'm worried if this diet is safe, I did everything the program said and even had apples in-between meals.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Safe, I don't know your stats and and your caloric intake. Boring, most definitely. With that menu you'll be binging in no time.

PS. Are you male? Unless you are a small guy, that doesn't sound like a whole lot of food.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that 14 day fitness challenge is ridiculous and on par with the Special K challenge. It's a way to sell product. People lose weight on the plan because they are dropping water weight, not fat, by drastically reducing their calories because they are replacing two regular meals with cereal. As soon as you go back to eating the way you normally eat, the water weight will come back on.

You do not need a fad diet. You do not need to eat an apple between every meal or eat spoonfuls of rice with every meal. Eat foods you like and enjoy, watch your portion sizes, stay within your calorie goal, eat foods that allow you to hit your macro and micronutrient goals, drink water, get sleep, get some exercise for your health, and the weight will come off.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Anything your mom cooks? This is so vague it could be a pound of fried chicken or 4 oz of grilled chicken breast?
  • arnold824
    Options
    Safe, I don't know your stats and and your caloric intake. Boring, most definitely. With that menu you'll be binging in no time.

PS. Are you male? Unless you are a small guy, that doesn't sound like a whole lot of food.

I'm 5'9 weighing 104kg atm, I'm a guy xD. I'm really really determined atm (I really want a certain girl plus I really really want to look presentable because I don't socialize often since people don't usually talk to the fat guy in the corner) and can 100% promise that I'll stick to this plan despite it being VERY boring as you stated.

My calorie intake would be:
    189 (breakfast) + 50 (snack) + 300 (lunch) + 50 (snack) + 189 (dinner) + 50 (snack) = 828 calories

I was just amazed on how I lost 2.5kg in a week and I can keep this up for as long as I need, I was just wondering if this is safe? Will my skin sag when I get thinner because I get thin fast? or Will it have an effect on my metabolism or something I'm just really worried that this diet plan may have a drawback despite its effectiveness.
    Yeah, that 14 day fitness challenge is ridiculous and on par with the Special K challenge. It's a way to sell product. People lose weight on the plan because they are dropping water weight, not fat, by drastically reducing their calories because they are replacing two regular meals with cereal. As soon as you go back to eating the way you normally eat, the water weight will come back on.

You do not need a fad diet. You do not need to eat an apple between every meal or eat spoonfuls of rice with every meal. Eat foods you like and enjoy, watch your portion sizes, stay within your calorie goal, eat foods that allow you to hit your macro and micronutrient goals, drink water, get sleep, get some exercise for your health, and the weight will come off.

I currently make it a point to drink 2 liters of water a day, I made my mom promise to cut my allowance if ever I didn't finish my water goal (she bought me a 2 liter jug). What I like about this plan is that I don't see my dining room when eating and prevents me to get hungry and pig out, I like having my cereal delivered to me so I don't smell or see what delicious food my family is eating xD it helps me not to give in to the temptations.
    Anything your mom cooks? This is so vague it could be a pound of fried chicken or 4 oz of grilled chicken breast?

I'm a filipino and so far the things my mom cooks during lunch are:
    adobo (chicken, porkchop in oyster sauce or soy sauce with potatoes)
    apritada (chicken, pineapple, carrots, potatoes in tomate sauce)
    tinola (chicken, malunggay leaves in boiled water with knorr cubes and magic sarap as seasonings for the flavor)
    sinigang (porkchop, pechay, raddish, in boiled water with knorr cubes, magic sarap, sinigang mix as seasonings)
    fried chicken
    friend liempo / porkchop

There's alot of them but I only listed a few, we call them "ulam" and have rice as a side dish. I think there's around 150-250 calories per "ulam" + 100-150 calories per rice so that's around 250-400 calories depending on the ulam and rice
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Frankly, your new plan sounds horrible. It's basically sugar, and whatever your mom cooks.

And not NEARLY ENOUGH CALORIES. NO. 850 calories a day for a growing male is NOT SAFE.

Your first plan was not remotely balanced either.

Why not try eating some meat, some vegetables, some dairy, some nuts, some fruit, and some whole grains. Not too much. And keep moving.
    Use MFP to track what you're eating. Let MFP tell you how much to eat. Eat all the calories it gives you.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Frankly, your new plan sounds horrible. It's basically sugar, and whatever your mom cooks.

And not NEARLY ENOUGH CALORIES. NO. 850 calories a day for a growing male is NOT SAFE.

Why not try eating some meat, some vegetables, some dairy, some nuts, some fruit, and some whole grains. Not too much. And keep moving.
    Use MFP to track what you're eating. Let MFP tell you how much to eat. Eat all the calories it gives you.

+1

If you have to ask if a diet plan is "safe" chances are it's not.
  • arnold824
    Options

When my mom cooks there is always a chicken or pig meat or fish + a set of vegetables and a rice as a side dish(filipino tradition of eating), I eat apples as snacks if ever I feel hungry.
  • arnold824
    Options

+1

If you have to ask if a diet plan is "safe" chances are it's not.

What if I eat breakfast as I do in lunch and take that cereal at night? my calorie intake would reach about 1000-1050+
  • kgeyser
    Options
    So basically you're barely consuming any calories, not getting proper nutrition, and only consuming that limited food in an isolated location away from other people and the meal they are eating?

No, it's not safe, and it's not healthy. Not physically, emotionally, or mentally.
  • arnold824
    Options
    So basically you're barely consuming any calories, not getting proper nutrition, and only consuming that limited food in an isolated location away from other people and the meal they are eating?

No, it's not safe, and it's not healthy. Not physically, emotionally, or mentally.

I tend to eat a lot of vegetables during lunch time and have a multi-vitamin pill prescribed by my doctor. Yup I don't wanna look at them chowing down and I feel like that isn't fair and I say to myself that I should equally eat like them then the results are I pig out or I go back in the dining table after 2-3 hours and eat.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    That isn't enough calories for a male. And this girl that you want to impress, if she's the right girl for you then she'll like you no matter what you weigh! ( my husbands over 300 lbs, been married 16 years and I love him no matter what he weighs)
  • kgeyser
    Options

I tend to eat a lot of vegetables during lunch time and have a multi-vitamin pill prescribed by my doctor. Yup I don't wanna look at them chowing down and I feel like that isn't fair and I say to myself that I should equally eat like them then the results are I pig out or I go back in the dining table after 2-3 hours and eat.

You do realize that at your age, height, and weight, you can eat a lot more food and still lose weight, right? About 1800 is considered the minimum for most men, especially young men. You're punishing yourself unnecessarily, and all your low calorie diet is going to do is eat away at your muscle, so you'll basically be left a flabby mess with a lower number on the scale.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Given your posts I'm going to guess you're about 15. Maybe 16. PLEASE don't keep going with this plan. You're setting yourself up for so many bad things.
  • arnold824
    Options
    That isn't enough calories for a male. And this girl that you want to impress, if she's the right girl for you then she'll like you no matter what you weigh! ( my husbands over 300 lbs, been married 16 years and I love him no matter what he weighs)

Now that's true love... Only if it's like that in here :( but sadly, I lack confidence to approach her since I think I weight twice as her lol, she's really smart (my favorite trait on a girl) and is a great artist and I'm a 3d animator and sometimes I fantasize that we're the perfect team xD, she's beautiful, she's really kind, her voice is very sweet, she has good friends and I could go on on how she's the perfec girl for me but it's our last year in college and If I can't ask her out this year then I think I'll lose her.

Would it help if I uhmm eat breakfast as I eat lunch and add more servings of rice? I always eat vegetable if they're present though and have a multivitamin pill for my daily nutrition needs.
  • arnold824
    Options
    Given your posts I'm going to guess you're about 15. Maybe 16. PLEASE don't keep going with this plan. You're setting yourself up for so many bad things.

I'm 19, is there anything you could recommend I eat? that's if its available here in the Philippines. I can't really plan a whole meal my self and pay for it ( I could have my mom pay for it but I doubt she'll agree to pay additional money to only accommodate my needs for like 5-6 months)

I guess I could eat 500 calories in breakfast, lunch, and cereal dinner? or no? uhmm 300+ calories worth of servings from the breakfast or lunch menu, +200-300 calories worth of fruit snacks.
  • arnold824
    Options

You do realize that at your age, height, and weight, you can eat a lot more food and still lose weight, right? About 1800 is considered the minimum for most men, especially young men. You're punishing yourself unnecessarily, and all your low calorie diet is going to do is eat away at your muscle, so you'll basically be left a flabby mess with a lower number on the scale.

I definitely don't wanna have that. Is it safe if I eat 500 (breakfast) + 500 (lunch) + 300 (dinner) + 300 (fruit snacks), that's around 1,600 calories
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 45 yr old female who weights 148 and I eat WAY more than you and I'm losing weight. Go to the Scooby Workshop calculator and figure out (based on your lifestyle) how much you can eat daily at your TDEE and then subtract 15% for a healthy loss. If you try to lose very quickly you will end up losing muscle mass, have loose skin and NEVER learn good eating habits.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm 19, is there anything you could recommend I eat? that's if its available here in the Philippines. I can't really plan a whole meal my self and pay for it ( I could have my mom pay for it but I doubt she'll agree to pay additional money to only accommodate my needs for like 5-6 months)

I guess I could eat 500 calories in breakfast, lunch, and cereal dinner? or no? uhmm 300+ calories worth of servings from the breakfast or lunch menu, +200-300 calories worth of fruit snacks.
    meat and vegs.
  • arnold824
    Options

meat and vegs.

That's good.. My mom cooks those things I guess I'll just eat up more, it's funny though now my problem is I should eat more xD But I really appreciate you guys helping me out if I hadn't come here I could've continued that crazy diet and end up in the hospital
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 with a weight of 109kg and I started going on a diet on August 16, 2014.
    Diets are temporary. What you need (what we all need here) is a permanent change in lifestyle.
    What you are describing cannot be maintained long-term, and will likely result in malnutrition.
    I don't see the harm in doing it for a week every now & then, but not long-term.

Here's a calculator which will show you how much of what foods you should be eating.
    https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/caloriesneed.cfm
    If you put in your healthy goal weight (which from BMI would be no more than 165 lb) http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    it will show you what you need to eat to get there.
    Also adjust for activity level.

Read these threads:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read