anxiety and depression issues

Options

Replies

• Russquatch
    Russquatch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've battle with both for most of my life mostly anxiety. I had been on lexipro for 9 years weened off them finally off 100% in June, but now the sad down feelings of depression sneaking up on me. my mind roams and thinks about the past and then thinks of how much it's going to suck as I lose loved ones in the future... While I do walk, I'm wondering what kind of natural ways to fight off these issues ... or should I just go ahead and realize that I might just have to live with taking medication? I've tried to set up meetings with a counselor but the ones my insurance covers give me the run around or not taking "new" clients so kind of at a dead end on that.

out of curiosity, how did you manage to come off of the lexapro? i have been on lexapro for about 4 or 5 years now. initially, i did not want to go on anything, but after about a month i couldn't take it any longer and allowed my psychiatrist to prescribe me meds. i definitely don't have the same anxiety/depression levels that i did at the beginning, but i still fear going off of my meds 100%.

I slowly tapered off over about 6 months, seemed to be going good so stopped completely in June, July and Aug were pretty good but did start feeling down the last week or two of Aug. then POW one bad night, and a whole lot of DOWN since.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There are many, many studies that show that exercise can relieve depression, even major depression. Google "exercise and depression". Click on the one from Harvard Medical School. The meds didn't cure you so why not try something else?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am writing this with post grad qualifications in psychology along with a lot of training and experience as a psychotherapist....
    CBT can help for some people but not others. Other types of therapy such as Transactional Analysis are more powerful if CBT doesn't work. There are other things you can try...

Are you aware of how food affects you (if it does). some people have bad reactions to sugar which can throw their mood our completely (I am like this) (look up radiant recovery .com which will try to sell you stuff you don't really need but which also has a lot of information on this which I would advise you look at even if its to eliminate it). Also coffee can increase anxiety so I would suggest looking at this. Diet and weight as been shown to correlate with depression so it may be that if you eat good stuff and shed a few pounds that may help. If you are not taking any anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication at the moment also look out for vitamin b (a complex will do) and an amino acid called 5-HTP which you can buy in health food shops (in the uk ). These are the precursors of serotonin in the brain which can help with both depression and anxiety because it makes sure you have a good supply of raw materials when your brain needs them. Don't take 5-HTP if you are taking medication though. Also I would recommend you look on the net for medication and "grounding" techniques on the net. Yesterday is history, tomorrows a mystery so they say but they can also be extremely horrible places to live. If you can ground yourself in "now" then it may help. What you may find is that If you try this you have an underlying horrible feeling which your brain is trying and failing avoid by thinking about the past and future. That feeling is most probably (in my own experience) something better living, medication and diet can get rid of. If you have enough money I would seriously also consider seeing a transactional analysis , gestalt or integrative psychotherapist. I've also read stuff on the net about sweeteners and certain food colourings triggering depression but I haven't seen research to back this up. It something you may want to investigate.

Good luck
  • crazymommy5
    crazymommy5 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There are many, many studies that show that exercise can relieve depression, even major depression. Google "exercise and depression". Click on the one from Harvard Medical School. The meds didn't cure you so why not try something else?

Exercise can RELIEVE depression- not cure it. If someone's depression is chemical, not situational, than the only thing that can manage it is an antidepressant. Exercise can increase serotonin and can lead to temporary feelings of bliss. However, if a chemical imbalance is present ONLY meds can be used to maintain those feelings.
    Over a period of time our brains can become accustomed to the meds we are taking and not respond efficiently. Psychiatrists will then increase or decrease doses or even change medications.
    There is no such thing as a cure for chemical depression. Beliefs like that are what lead to suicide.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I had been on lexipro for 9 years weened off them finally off 100% in June, but now the sad down feelings of depression sneaking up on me.

This is pretty much the universal story of people who go on SSRIs and then stop them. Even with weening, which is the right way. I'm glad you posted this. It's important for people who are considering SSRIs - but haven't decided whether to take them or not - to know. Doctors never tell people this.

This is also what happens to people who NEED the antidepressant medication for their clinical depression when they try to go off the medication, no matter which one it is. Derp.
  • Skout528
    Skout528 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no shame in taking medications, along with using other methods to relieve your symptoms. I know that my mind feels clearer now that I don't take in a lot of starchy carbs like potatoes and pasta. I kinda knew this would happen, just simply from science, but indeed it has. I have struggled with major depressive episodes, anxiety and panic, enough to be hospitalized twice. DO NOT STOP YOUR MEDICATION. I still eat sugar and things that aren't good for me, but I'm working on it. I can tell a huge difference in my mood stabilization by not filling up on massive amounts of starch. Cognitive behavioral therapy in conjunction with medication: awesome. Hard, but awesome. You definitely have to try a big variety of things and stick with what makes YOU feel stable and better, whether anybody else believes it or not. The journey to physical health is 100% tied to the journey of mental health so when you have days that feel better than others and you don't have as many obsessive irrational thoughts, pay attention to what you've done differently that day. DO NOT listen to most of the claims of people who did one simple little thing and were able to stop their meds. If that's the case, they were probably misdiagnosed in the first place and needed a metabolic change instead of medications to stabilize their neurochemicals.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    Depression and anxiety have been part of my life since childhood. I hate myself from the pit of my stomach and always have done. Had a nervous breakdown and attempted suicide last year. Been on prozac since March 2013. I need them, that's why I take them. No shame, no shame at all.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I had been on lexipro for 9 years weened off them finally off 100% in June, but now the sad down feelings of depression sneaking up on me.

This is pretty much the universal story of people who go on SSRIs and then stop them. Even with weening, which is the right way. I'm glad you posted this. It's important for people who are considering SSRIs - but haven't decided whether to take them or not - to know. Doctors never tell people this.

This is also what happens to people who NEED the antidepressant medication for their clinical depression when they try to go off the medication, no matter which one it is.

Agree. Forgive my silly question - why would one go off the depression/anxiety meds if it's helping them?

I was depressed/anxious/suicidal for most of my teenage/adult life. Tried Wellbutrin twice a few years aback but it didn't do anything for me so I felt that I was stuck in this hell for life. Then the doctor prescribed a low dose of Prozac earlier this year. The fog lifted and I got my groove back. The hubby says I'm a new person. I'm a better mom to my daughter. I'm also working on an anti-anxiety program through my insurance and listening to relaxation CDs. Never ever going back to where I was a year ago.
  • let1179
    let1179 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It took me years, just last year, for me to finally accept that I have a chemical imbalance and need my meds. I used to stay on it for a while and think oh I'm good, but then a month later be in the same depressed, sad boat. I take my meds regularly but still have crappy days, like today! Put that is also female related. The worst part is feeling out of control, like no control, and that's when I realized I had a problem. Feel free to add me, it helps to have others to vent to.
  • SUSIE091
    SUSIE091 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    agree there let 1197 depression has got a hold off me and trying to keep going is such a vicous cycle meds or no meds

weight gain a big prob for me to accpect
  • shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I find that walking a lot helps me, which recently I've not done so much :(
    Walking somewhere quiet with my music in improves my mood a little, as well as reading and drawing, basically things I can do by myself without being bothered by others.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I've battle with both for most of my life mostly anxiety. I had been on lexipro for 9 years weened off them finally off 100% in June, but now the sad down feelings of depression sneaking up on me. my mind roams and thinks about the past and then thinks of how much it's going to suck as I lose loved ones in the future... While I do walk, I'm wondering what kind of natural ways to fight off these issues ... or should I just go ahead and realize that I might just have to live with taking medication? I've tried to set up meetings with a counselor but the ones my insurance covers give me the run around or not taking "new" clients so kind of at a dead end on that.

I have never dealt with depression, but here is a thought. When those feelings start creeping up, ask yourself this question: What are the things that I have control over and the things that are outside my control (make a list to make it easier make a list). Try and concentrate on the things that are within your control and do the best you can to enjoy them.

We all worry about people close to us dying and how will we cope, but that is outside our scope, we have no control over when and where it will happen.

A cousin of mine died in June, it would have been her 61st birthday July 4th. I last spoke to her end January, never knew she was sick, but everyone else knew. We had a big argument last year (something she did that I thought was extremely selfish). Well she got sick and decided not to tell me. It knocked the life out of me, even now I cannot believe that she is gone. Would I change anything that happened last year, if I knew that she would die this year, probably not, maybe I would have gone about it a different way, but my feelings would have been the same. She went into a coma and never came out, I would have liked for her to even live 1 more year to rectify the situation, but that's life.

I am using my cousin to say, we do know when and where we will leave this earth, spend the time you have living life, doing things that make you happy. Some days are going to be better than others. I find walking and listening to music really helps me and stop me from feeling down. I make a date with my clock every morning for 6:00 a.m. and walk for at least 6 miles, which set me up for the remainder of the day.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I ran into this board as I was looking for ways to control anxiety with food. I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks since I had my son almost 3 years ago. I was controlling it with magnesium (Natural Calm), L-theanine, and counselling. I recently starting getting into Strongwomen competition and training. It seems like my anxiety and panic attacks have really ramped up lately. I'm starting to accept that I may need to get medication for this. I have a blood workout ordered and my family doctor prescribed Wellibutrin but after I read about it, it seems to increase anxiety. I'm scared to death of getting on meds. I don't know anyone who has ever come off them. I'm really scared of losing my orgasm as that seems to be a symptom of antidepressants.
  • Russquatch
    Russquatch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    my dr. started me on viibryd, just started week 2 ... I can tell it's helping, and the stuff I've read about this one, not much of an issue with the weight gain side effect other meds have. so looking forward to seeing how it works after I'm at full dose. Maybe I can get off meds someday, but for now I know I need something, I feel God gave us doctors who understand the brain ... and then these meds ... so really kind of a blessing there are things out there to help with brain chemistry issues.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have chronic anxiety and have had a lot of relief with massage therapy and meditation. Has worked better for me than any med I've ever been on (and there's been many). I also have to say that regular excersize and a healthy diet helps somewhat. Hope that helps! Good luck to you!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I was in your same shoes and really didn't want to be medicated but it came to a point where I just had to be. I take brintellix. you might want to ask your dr about it. I am not a dr, or a nurse, but I do have personal experience that it works for me with no side-effects. I wish you well and i'm very sorry. depression and anxiety are very real and most people don't truly understand. esp when battling weight loss, the loss of extra fat and calories and have a very negative impact on the brain.
    blessings :flowerforyou:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    I ran into this board as I was looking for ways to control anxiety with food. I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks since I had my son almost 3 years ago. I was controlling it with magnesium (Natural Calm), L-theanine, and counselling. I recently starting getting into Strongwomen competition and training. It seems like my anxiety and panic attacks have really ramped up lately. I'm starting to accept that I may need to get medication for this. I have a blood workout ordered and my family doctor prescribed Wellibutrin but after I read about it, it seems to increase anxiety. I'm scared to death of getting on meds. I don't know anyone who has ever come off them. I'm really scared of losing my orgasm as that seems to be a symptom of antidepressants.

wellbutrin did make me lose my ability to orgasm. i'm on brintellix right now and it does not have that effect.
    it's scary to be on meds, but most days, it's much scarier not to be.
    :smile:
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Some things that can help -

Read David Burns - Feeling Good
    Sleep
    Getting sunlight every day
    Getting outside, gardening, going for walks, hiking, sitting by a lake
    Listening to music
    Arranging time with friends
    Noticing the ways your mind is going to the negative parts of the past and future and keep (gently) shifting your mind back to the present moment (mediation will help with this)
    Reducing TV or at least doing something else when watching TV
    Volunteering
    Scheduling something pleasant every day

Keep trying for a counselor though because you deserve genuine help. Good therapy can be equally effective as medication and has similar effects on the brain (although, there are some people who do better with therapy just there are some people who do better with medication or even other treatments like ECT)

If your previous medications weren't helping any longer, you might do better with a new medication.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options

This is also what happens to people who NEED the antidepressant medication for their clinical depression when they try to go off the medication, no matter which one it is.

Agree. Forgive my silly question - why would one go off the depression/anxiety meds if it's helping them?

going off the medications is very tricky, and it's a complicated situation with someone who is mentally ill. yes, I have been one of those who takes meds, they work, then I stop. its almost as if when you're feeling well, you think "I don't need these..." even though the meds are the thing making you feel well. it's twisted and hard to comprehend, but makes sense somewhere deep inside.
    :ohwell:
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with needing medication to be healthy. I had mental health issues for years, and was finally diagnosed bipolar a few years ago. I've been on Lithium and Paxil ever since, and it's helped tremendously. In my opinion, the benefits of the medication far, far, far outweighs the stigma of being medicated. I'll be on this stuff for the rest of my life, and I'm totally fine with that. It's either that or end up suicidal, so really, it seems like an easy choice. Life is too short to waste it being sick.