I can't do it...I dont have it in me

Options

Replies

• BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I said the same thing 9 months and today I'm down 86#. I learned really quick to tell myself positive lies such as "You CAN do this, I love this food (even as I was throwing it up), I can walk comfortably (even though I was crying from my broken back & couldn't last long)"

Now, I love healthy food, am down some weight and I am finally starting to love myself as I am for the first time in my life. It's a beautiful feeling. I don't lose weight every week and I do have bad days. The point is not to let it get you down.

Also, have you had your blood tested for diabetes or thyroid problems?
    I have both and when there out of whack I did it harder to lose.

Good luck, no matter what you do! :flowerforyou:
  • radimage
    Options
    "I don't know what I SHOULD do. All I know is what I CAN do." ~ James T. Kirk
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Just don't cut out soda and snacks? Instead go for smaller portions? I have something chocolate or ice cream pretty much every day and my scale numbers are going down.
  • fitasacello
    fitasacello Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    On behalf of the 30-somethings (and older) who didn't make it until our age, you're starting with a leg up on us! You got this one. Start today.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You don't have to get bigger and bigger. You don't have to be a 'perfect 10' either. What we all need is to have a better relationship with ourselves and our bodies. What does eating do for you (apart from keeping body and soul together!)? Are you comfort eating? Bored? Try to find your trigger and address that. I've been a lifelong fatty and couldn't stick to a diet for longer than 5 weeks. i topped the scale last year at 244lbs. At 5' 6" that wasn't pretty. I have tried, with varying degrees of success, every diet going. Last year I discovered the 5:2 or Fast or Alternate Day diet. After a fit and start I am here, 49lbs lighter and 15 weeks of continuous diet. This diet works for me. I think its a case of finding what diet works for you and one you can live with. For me this is not about denial (I don't do denial) and I've changed my whole relationship with food and with that I've got a better relationship with me.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    OP, I know you need more than motivational one-liners, so I just gonna leave this right here. These few threads are key (IMHO) to successful, sustainable weight loss without all the unnecessary misery.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was like this up until very recently. I lost about 20 pounds on nutrisystem and as soon as I stopped, I put all the weight back on and then some. A few months ago, one day I decided I wanted to start a food journal. I found MFP and began my journey. Then I started exercising. Now I'm steadily losing weight and have no desire to go back to the large portions I was eating.

It's all a matter of getting into the right mindset. If you're not ready to accept that this is a lifelong change, then you will fail. You have to embrace turning things around and making some compromises (ie flavored water instead of soda). There will be things you have to give up (at least somewhat), so you have to decide what's most important to you.

Good luck! Feel free to friend me and we'll help motivate each other along the way. I couldn't do this without a little help from my friends.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    No -- instead, accept the fact that this is going to take effort and time.

What you're going to do, is make a commitment to yourself and those important to you to get healthy.

You're going to calculate your BMR and your TDEE, and create a weight loss plan that has you eating at least to your BMR if not slightly higher.

You're going to weigh/measure your food as accurately as you can (for most, this means a scale) and record it every single day, and work hard to stay within your calories/macros, while allowing yourself to eat foods you love. This literally means anything, including the odd soda.

Weight loss really, barring a significant medical condition, is about calories in and calories out. If you've put on weight, it's because you've been eating/drinking more calories that your body needs. It's time to be conscious of that.

Want to eat more? Then you'll have to exercise.

You can do this and will do this if you want to. The onus is on you. You can continue to eat more than you need, or you can develop a healthy relationship with food. It's your choice.

Excellent advice. ^^
  • AnnofB
    Options
    You can lose many battles...but still win the war in the end.

I know that sounds kind of goofy, but it's true. Just do the best you can everyday. That's all you can do.

So true. You don't have to be perfect everyday. One bad choice or setback is not the end. Just get back right back to your plan and keep going. Don't beat yourself up over it. Remember the times when you stuck with it and gain power from that. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • AnnofB
    Options
    OP, I know you need more than motivational one-liners, so I just gonna leave this right here. These few threads are key (IMHO) to successful, sustainable weight loss without all the unnecessary misery.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Calliope, awesome list!
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

What you're going to do, is make a commitment to yourself and those important to you to get healthy.

You're going to calculate your BMR and your TDEE, and create a weight loss plan that has you eating at least to your BMR if not slightly higher.

You're going to weigh/measure your food as accurately as you can (for most, this means a scale) and record it every single day, and work hard to stay within your calories/macros, while allowing yourself to eat foods you love. This literally means anything, including the odd soda.

Weight loss really, barring a significant medical condition, is about calories in and calories out. If you've put on weight, it's because you've been eating/drinking more calories that your body needs. It's time to be conscious of that.

You can do this and will do this if you want to. The onus is on you. You can continue to eat more than you need, or you can develop a healthy relationship with food. It's your choice.

OP. Please read and re-read the above.

Then put it to work.

Too massive a calorie restriction will lead to a lack of self-control and binging.

A moderate calorie deficit, varied diet (yes, you can have soda, or whatever, if it fits your calorie budget) and plenty of protein will keep you satiated whilst you consistently lose weight and avoid counter productive snack-attacks.

Lots of good responses. I drink diet soda and I snack often, it's about eating healthy snacks. Nutritious foods will keep you fuller longer. Your body needs fuel to exercise. You don't have to be so restrictive, it's not as sustainable to be that way. I know it's hard girl but you need to believe in yourself and realize that it is most definitely possible to do this. choosemyplate.gov is an excellent resource if you'd like to learn more about nutrition.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut anything out completely. You can enjoy what you like, but the key is using moderation. Maybe it would help to apply the 80/20 rule. Use 80% of your daily or weekly calories on foods for nutrition and the other 20% for snacks. You might find that just knowing that you can have it will help with the cravings. Another thing, don't label food "good" or "bad". I'm not sure if you are or not but I've noticed that when people do and then have some of the "bad" food they often feel guilty and sometimes decide to give up.

What you shouldn't be doing is trying to lose weight to please other people. You have to want to do this for yourself. While working on losing weight work on your self confidence. Learn to love yourself and accept yourself no matter what the number on the scale is.
  • sartezalb
    sartezalb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you tried too aggressive a plan too quickly--the harsher the plan, the bigger the temptation (and possible disappointment). Sometimes slowly tapering your calorie intake is an easier way (and more practical).

1) Change your MFP goal settings to "maintain weight."

2) Try logging all of your calories for a little while. Don't focus on meeting any particular goal; just eat how you normally would and be COMPLETELY HONEST. This will give you an idea of your baseline consumption AND help you practice logging calories. Once again, DO NOT focus on meeting any particular goal.

3) Once you've gotten a few days in, look at your current calorie intake. How many calories in excess are you having?

4) Figure out a small goal to stick to for a week or few. For example, if you exceed your maintenance goal by 400 calories, you could trying cutting the excess to 200. Also important is thinking of an easy way to meet that goal; for example, cutting out 200 calories would be equal to a single soda or a small bag of chips--more manageable than cutting them out entirely.

5) If you're able to maintain this for a few weeks, great! Pat yourself on the back and set yourself another small goal--or maybe a bigger one if you have the confidence now. :)

If you can't maintain this--don't give up! Keep logging calories and set a different, easier goal and try to achieve that instead. The important thing is that you gain the confidence to control your habits and then use that confidence to achieve progressively greater things.

Some members of this board will probably scoff at this, because I'm not just telling you to lose weight right away or "suck it up." But to me, the biggest obstacles are discipline and confidence, and *anything* that helps you build those two (even something like keeping yourself to a 400-calorie excess instead of letting it balloon to something higher) will help you in the long run--the discipline and confidence will give you the ability and mental strength to set progressively bigger goals and deal with any setbacks.

(For my own part, I spent a week just eating maintenance when I started. Then I moved to 1800 calories, 1700, 1500, etc... and am a fair ways lower than that now. But I didn't rush it--I kept myself comfortable, consistent, and accountable)
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    It's possible that you tried too aggressive a plan too quickly--the harsher the plan, the bigger the temptation (and possible disappointment). Sometimes slowly tapering your calorie intake is an easier way (and more practical).

That is very true for me.

Also the second I tell myself I CAN'T eat some particular thing (whether it's bacon or doughnuts...which I don't really like all that much to begin with), I am immediately obsessed with wanting whatever that is and cannot stop thinking about it. It's ridiculous.

Much easier to tell myself...well I could have it if I really wanted to. And fit it into my overall calories.
    More often than not, I don't eat it.
  • SoCalPhoenix
    SoCalPhoenix Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That was a great response. Thank you for that. I needed to hear that too.
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it !!!! Just portion control your food and soft drinks. You may want to get a food scale to measure your food if you don't have one already. The food scale will help great.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yup, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. We all have. "I'll never find someone to love." "I'll always be fat." "I'll never finish my degree." "I'll never live in a clean house."

If we give in to all those things we become lonely, super-obese hoarders who, like the woman in my hometown last year, died as the inside of her house collapsed around her. She wasn't found for weeks.

Some of us seem to need to work harder than others to avoid caving in totally to our worse natures. But we still have choices. Some things you may give up on either temporarily or permanently to work on others. I'll never finish my PhD but it ceased to matter. I did keep hunting for Kismet and Bill and I found each other at age 54. I'm working on shedding stuff and took two boxes to the Goodwill this week. And I log into MFP and try to improve my health -- with more or less success. It beats the alternatives for sure.

You need to make your choices, too. You can get healthy and lose weight. You may need to do more research to make a plan that works for you. The choice is yours. And anyone who says sticking to those choices is easy needs a dope slap.

We empathize. At least, most of us do.
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Nothing more to say, she nailed it. Great response!
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    This is channeled from Yoda all wise being of beings ever created on screen and through thought:

To yourself be kind. To yourself like best friend speak, what would you say to your best friend if, struggling with similar things, were they, hmm?
    To beat yourself up refuse. With you be gentle. If to put yourself down you hear that negativity creeping in wanting, my best friend say, think what would, hmm? And say that instead.

In regular speak: Be kind and gentle with yourself, you'll make it, speak to yourself like you would a best friend and don't beat yourself up :)

Bringing the silly
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You aren't expected to be a saint. :) No one eats NO treats. Everything in moderation. I measure out my treats. Like my b/f bought me a tub of cheese balls...LOL! Well, they are one of my danger foods...I could eat half a tub in a sitting. So I measure out one ounce...you get quite a few in an ounce....and I can easily fit that into my day.

That's the thing...fitting the foods you crave around the other foods that are good for you. I used to drink Coke all the time. Now I drink Diet Snapple. I used to love ice cream...now I will fit in a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich.

It CAN be done! You CAN do it! Don't deprive yourself of the foods you love....just don't over indulge. Cutting back does NOT mean cutting out. :)