A healthy snack anyone?

Options
Hello all my fellow MFP family!

A quick question I'm hoping some of you might help a gal with! I'm a full time nurse and I'm having trouble sticking to my daily calorie goals on the days I work.. mostly because I'm always busy at work... I was wanting some Ideas on some healthy and PORTABLE snacks I can bring to work with me!!! Any suggestions!?

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• shaphira
    Options
    homemade trail mix
    fruit or dried fruit
    crackers
    yogurt
    and those speacial k bars are kinda good.i like the rasberry cheesecake one:smile:
    veggies are good too especially baby or small ones like carrots or cherry tomatoes
  • cherylknaack
    Options
    If you need something that doesnt need refrigeration i would suggest: Nuts, granola, granola bars, apples, raisens, dried fruits, dry cereal, and peanut butter. If you have access to a cooler or fridge then: carrots, celery, yogurt, grapes, oranges, cheese sliced small, string cheese, baby bell cheese,
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    apples
    almonds (measured, so you don't eat too many)
    pistachios (measured, so you don't eat too many)
    kind fruit & nut bars (they are low glycemic index and delicious)

when i was in college, i used to bring a whole apple, a whole carrot and a cliff bar with me everyday in a small insulated lunch box with an ice pack in it.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    almond butter + apple slices
    hard-boiled egg
    avocado slices + pita chips

I like snacks packed with protein and fiber, especially if I"m ready to eat the fridge! Those elements fill you up FAST and keep you full. I'd avoid snacking on anything that's empty calories (like popcorn or 100 cal crackers), since you'll just be hungry again in 15 min!
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I buy the special k vanilla almond cereal and dried cranberries. I mix them in a ziploc baggie and take it with me wherever I go. It is a great snack! Especially when I want something sweet or crunchy! I am a teacher so I don't get a lot of chances to eat great snacks. It is a quick snack and one handful can keep me going for a while!

Hope that helps!
  • bluedoree
    Options
    Dry cereal as a snack...I hadn't thought about that. Thank You!
    I'm going to start bagging it in little snack baggies.
  • 0terrance
    Options
    Yes to piggyback on some great suggestions already, i make my own snack which cuts out processed food. Sesame Bars (Raw & Gluten Free)
    Ingredients
    1 cup walnuts
    1/2 cup sesame seeds
    1 1/2 cups pitted dates
    1 1/2 cups raisins

Directions:
    1. Pulse all Ingredients in food processor until mixture holds
    together when pressed.
    2. Press mixture into 9inch square pan, chill and cut into squares
    to serve.
    Each square should be appox. 2 inchs
    Number of Servings: 16

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per RecIpe: 16
    amount Per Serving
    calories: 138.4
    Total Fat: 6.4 g
    colesterol : 0.0 ing
    Sodium: 20.9 mg
    Tots Carbs: 21.0 g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
    Protein: 2.5 g

hope this helps:)
  • Kathy2510
    Options
    I get Orville's 100 calorie snack bags and pop them at home to take for a snack if I don't have access to a microwave.