C25K starts tomorrow! Any tips or advice?

Options
I'm starting C25K tomorrow and am super excited about it! I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice that may have been through what I'm about to do? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Here are a few I thought of:
    1. Don't go too fast in the beginning. Focus on getting a good running form.
    2. Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you feel like you're struggling.
    3. Just have fun!!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Here are a few I thought of:
    1. Don't go too fast in the beginning. Focus on getting a good running form.

I think this is one of the most important things in running, good form. Assuming you know what that is, then you should be all good.
  • HelenO20
    HelenO20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just keep going no matter how far out of reach you think it is :) I completed this and have since been increasing my distance I am now at 7km in 43 mins 2.5 months ago I was faced with week one and thought it was impossible. But here I am :) running is now a part of my normal lifestyle routine. Enjoy :)
  • Perksy80
    Options
    I 2nd That ^^^^^^^.
    I did the same and found the biggest barrier was my mind! Ignore your internal voice when it starts doubting and just run through it. As the distance increases I found it useful, if I started to feel like I couldn't do it, to start setting little mini goals. Get to the next lamp-post, then just to the end of the road, then just push a bit more to get to the red car etc etc etc. Soon enough you will have done the running section. After about three months I am running 4-5 times a week, 6k 4 times and a 12k, and increasing. I still find myself having to set the little goals to keep going until the doubt goes away, and that is usually quite quick

Good Luck!
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good shoes!!

By that i mean go to someone that knows a bit about running ( ie. running specific store) and get them to look at how you walk , and help you pick out shoes..

Happy feet = happy biomechanics = Happy Runner :)
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am also starting C25K tomorrow. I have actually done it before and loved it and it worked really well for me. I was never a runner and after a few weeks of the program I actually found I enjoyed my runs. Unfortunately I have had some backsliding with my diet and exercise; hence my starting over. I also agree with some other's points and suggestions: good shoes, and focus on form not speed in the beginning. Feel free to add me and we can start together! Good luck! :)
  • summer92008
    Options
    So I just finished Week 1 Day 1 earlier this morning. There are a few concerns...

(1) I definitely do not think that I have a good form. I start out slower to pace myself, but my body wants to run faster. I also think that I may be bending my knees a little more than I should and my upper torso tends to bend over my lower body a little. Like, when I look down to watch my feet, they never really come out in front of me, so I must be bending over a little too much or something. I also run pretty flat footed. My feet just "smack" the ground, they don't roll from heel to toes or anything.How do I improve my form or even know that how I'm running is right?

(2) I really enjoy jogging, but this first day of the first week was harder than I thought! My biggest problem is my breathing. It was a little cooler today than normal (mid 70s opposed to 80s), so my mouth and throat hurt a little from the cold air. Will I get used to this? My legs also feel like they are not strong enough; my knees seem to buckle a little too much, like I mentioned in number one.

(3) Nothing really hurts on me after my runs except my ankles. I think they just aren't strong enough yet. Is that it or does it have something to do with my shoes?

I agree that good shoes are important, unfortunately there are no real sports places within 2 hours of me. The only "sports" store that I have available is Hibbit Sports (I don't know if this is nationwide or more of an east coast store). Right now I'm running in Nike Air Max 360's that are quite old. They are the shoes that I've been walking in all summer. I don't have a pair of running shoes. I don't mind to buy some, but it's just hard to make sure they are the right kind for my feet and the way I run. I'm also afraid I will drop big bucks on a pair and then stop running when it turns cold and snowy. And as a poor, full-time college student, $150.00 is a risk lol.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Google good running form and you can find a lot of tips to help w your issues. A few tips that helped me a lot were to carry imaginary eggs in your hands (sounds silly I know). That will help keep you from tensing your arms. Time your breathing w your steps. Breath in for 4 steps and out for 4 steps. I try to focus on my breathing a lot. And you are supposed to lean forward a little but maybe you're over doing that? Just keep practicing! As for shoes....I loved my brooks pureflows that I had when I first started and they were $80. Can't get the same style now though so I have a pair of new balance shoes I'm trying and they were on sale for $50. If you don't have a place that can watch your stride and help that way, try on LOTS of styles and walk around in them and even do some jogging in place to see how they feel. You'll feel silly in the store but if you find a good pair its worth it! Way to go today!
  • summer92008
    Options
    Thanks! I'll watch some YouTube vids on running form and hopefully it'll help me! And thanks for advice about shoes. I don't care to jog down the aisles at the shoe store lol, so I should be good ( :
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Like, when I look down to watch my feet, they never really come out in front of me, so I must be bending over a little too much or something. I also run pretty flat footed. My feet just "smack" the ground, they don't roll from heel to toes or anything.How do I improve my form or even know that how I'm running is right?

I'd say that your stride length is about right, you don't want to be kicking out too far as that places quite a load on the joints. Ideally your foot should be landing just in front of your centre of gravity. The point about your foot slapping may be a question of muscle imbalance, a weakness in your shin muscle. Running won't improve that so you need some form of cross training, cycle with toes strapped in or clipped in, or use a resistance band or sandbag to strengthen the muscle.

It's also worth putting some conscious thought into running tall, lift your head up and look out in front.
    but this first day of the first week was harder than I thought! My biggest problem is my breathing. It was a little cooler today than normal (mid 70s opposed to 80s), so my mouth and throat hurt a little from the cold air. Will I get used to this?

I think this might play into the previous point as well. Until you've got your form sorted out you'll probably find yourself going a little fast, which will also make the session much harder work. If you're hunched, as described above, then you're not giving your lungs space to operate properly. Again lift your head up, open your shoulders and breath to your belly.
    My legs also feel like they are not strong enough; my knees seem to buckle a little too much, like I mentioned in number one.

Nothing really hurts on me after my runs except my ankles. I think they just aren't strong enough yet. Is that it or does it have something to do with my shoes?

You'll find that running will help to strengthen your legs, but it's worth doing complementary resistance training as well. Personally I just stick with bodyweight work, which will give you enough benefit to help the running.

I use You Are Your Own Gym, but there are other programmes

I'm running in Nike Air Max 360's that are quite old.

That certainly won't help. Running shoes generally have a life of between 300 and 500 miles, and that's before using them for other things like walking, or gym training.

What I would say is that spending the money on shoes is a bit more productive than spending the money on a physio. Equally many good running shops will offer a returns policy so that even if the shoes you opt for don't work out for you, there is an option to change them.