Dr. Oz show today: Lose 20lbs in 30 days with 4 hours a week

Options
Watching Dr. Oz (what's new?) and he had Timothy Ferriss on talking about the 4 hour body. He wrote a book with tips for losing weight in just 4 hours a week and they were medically proven. So I totally just ordered the book. He only shared 3 tips on the show but they were: Ice therapy, start with placing an ice pack on the back of your neck for 30 mins, work your way up to cold showers, and if you're brave enough ice bath up to your waste for 10 mins 3 times a week. This speeds up your metabolism. Number 2: Eat 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up. It gives your body the day’s supply it needs to burn fat. And the last one was to binge once a week. Dr. Oz said he wasn’t completely on board with that one, yet. But Timothy said the reason for this is if you are doing the small changes through the week then you can have that binge day which also helps people stick to a diet. But the key is to drink grapefruit juice before you eat and within an hour of the eating do squats for 60-120 seconds to get the sugar to go directly to your muscles to burn off rather than being stored in your fat. I’m anxious to see all the tips in the book. Thought I would share in case anyone else is a “Dr. Oz follower”

Replies

• Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    hmmm interesting.....ice bath huh? bet it feels good after a workout lol
  • amberallen568
    Options
    This is very interesting. Ice bath seems a little too crazy for me but i'd love to see some more tips once you get the book! :)
  • bslclay
    bslclay Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm shivering just thinking about that. I will have to do some research into the reasons cold would boost metabolism and see if it's worth it. I hate to be cold but I do want to boost my metabolism...hmmm?
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Lol I'm gonna pass on the ice stuff...unless its in my drink.:bigsmile:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    How long would it take to set up an ice bath = too long! wow!

I don't have an ice machine in my fridge, I have only ONE little tray. So making 20 cubes and freezing more would take too long to work.

Buying bags of ice would be so expensive!

I wonder if they mean just coldest of the cold tap water?
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm shivering just thinking about that. I will have to do some research into the reasons cold would boost metabolism and see if it's worth it. I hate to be cold but I do want to boost my metabolism...hmmm?

The reason it boosts it is because your body has to work harder to do anything when it's cold. That was Dr.Oz's explaination anyway. :happy:
  • chelcscarbrough
    chelcscarbrough Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I totally saw part of this segment before I had to leave for class! Maybe I should order the book too. I totally LOVE that binge once a week tip! Don't know if I'm ready to go with that one though. I'm scared it will reverse my progress. But anyways on the show they said the ice therapy thing works because it burns more calories for your body to do things when it is cold. Like it takes more effort for your body to do it so it burns more calories.
  • corey_e
    Options
    I totally saw part of this segment before I had to leave for class! Maybe I should order the book too. I totally LOVE that binge once a week tip! Don't know if I'm ready to go with that one though. I'm scared it will reverse my progress. But anyways on the show they said the ice therapy thing works because it burns more calories for your body to do things when it is cold. Like it takes more effort for your body to do it so it burns more calories.

Yeah, I don't think I would binge either. I mean once I got to my goal weight I planned on letting myself cave in sometimes. But knowing that drinking juice and doing squats will help makes me feel less guilty about it. :bigsmile:
  • AlishaA
    Options
    i live in Vermont it is an icebath!
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options
    It seems like every week Dr. Oz has someone new touting a new way to lose weight. I dont watch him often but I think his viewers would end up horribly confused! Last week was a 14 day diet. The week before that was his own diet plan....

For a variety of reasons I'm becoming less a fan of his but I seriously think he needs more topics and new show ideas :)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I like Dr. Oz. I think that he offers lots of good health info overall.

I just got the book on my phone kindle app...I actually am skimming through it right now! Lol Interesting read :)
  • corey_e
    Options
    It seems like every week Dr. Oz has someone new touting a new way to lose weight. I dont watch him often but I think his viewers would end up horribly confused! Last week was a 14 day diet. The week before that was his own diet plan....

For a variety of reasons I'm becoming less a fan of his but I seriously think he needs more topics and new show ideas :)

I think he supports so many weight loss plans because not all of them work for everyone so the more options there are the better success. He and his team research them to make sure they are safe and will actually work. Dieting is the most popular subject so it makes sense that he constantly has shows about it.
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options

I think he supports so many weight loss plans because not all of them work for everyone so the more options there are the better success. He and his team research them to make sure they are safe and will actually work. Dieting is the most popular subject so it makes sense that he constantly has shows about it.

I agree about not one plan fitting everyone but IMO, it's information overload. I think it's good to have a lot of info on hand to make the best decision but for someone like me, it's too confusing. In my old age I cant process too much info all at once :) LOL! I think it would be better if it wasnt week after week after week.

Edited to add: Now...all that said, I would still be interested to know how this plan works out for you once you receive the book. It does seem interesting with a very "common sense" approach.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking an ice pack on my neck in the evenings could be a really good thing....hmmmm.....I might start trying that this week!!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    The first thing he talks about is calorie cycling..funny I just started this a few days ago :) lol
  • pannet
    pannet Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't drink cold water much less take a cold shower! An ice bath???? I don't think so...not into the polar bear thing! I think I'd rather sweat to a cardio workout instead. LOL!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options

He needs to give more detail - it's so frustrating how fast the pace on the show is and his website isn't any better - it is full of videos from the show instead of more detail on the diet plans he gives.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    cold shower and ice water! .. in fact.. if I don't turn on the heat in my house.. I can lose more weight and save money also.
    :)
  • Kabear2013
    Kabear2013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    FRICKEN THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!! :)
  • Kabear2013
    Kabear2013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    lmbbo too funny