Coffee lovers

Anyone else a huge fan of coffee? What do you put in it to make it low carb/cal and still tasty? Any suggestions?

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    I love my coffee, I switched to better quality coffee beans, now I wouldn't add anything to ruin the delicious flavor. Cheap coffee required cream and sweet n low.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    I never new Coffee was High carb? I just have my coffee the same just make sure I log the Milk/cream (I use non dairy ones) I use. At around 15-30 cal per cup it's not going to destroy my calories for the day
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    coffee has no carbs and barelly any calories... and if you are a huge fan of coffee why would you want to add anything to it?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Seattle = coffee! I've learned to love it black.
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Coffee with a tsp of sugar and a dash of semi-skimmed milk is how I take it. It works out at about 20 calories per cup. :)
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    coffee creamers are high in calories and have trans-fat
    I get powdered milk and use the powder in my coffee for a lightener. I just add the powder, unmixed, into the coffee. It has a lot fewer calories.
    For sweetener I use TRUVIA. I buy the bottle of loose crystals, not the little packets.
  • nige101
    nige101 Posts: 22 Member
    Seattle = coffee! I've learned to love it black.

^^^^^ this^^^^^^^ :-)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Medium roast coffee here and 2 scoops of pure cane sure and 2 Tbsp. Of International Delight Hershey Chocolate and Caramel creamer in a travel mug for a 130 calories and worth everyone... Lost a few pounds drinking this concoction...... Best of Luck
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    Coffee is low carb and low calorie. 1tsp of sugar is 16 calories and a tbsp of cream has 20, the coffee has virtually no calories.......
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Black coffee for the win. The taste, the aroma, the flavour, the feeling... Simly awesome!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    I put milk and stevia in mine. I don't mind the calories as I drink my coffee pretty slowly and enjoy each sip.:drinker:
  • XoxoKellyXoxo
    XoxoKellyXoxo Posts: 31 Member
    I was always a fan of the flavored creamers, which can def add on the calories. Not a fan of black coffee, so was trying to think of something to add in to give it a flavor and sweetness
  • XoxoKellyXoxo
    XoxoKellyXoxo Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Much appreciated :-)
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    I use the sugar free french vanilla Coffeemate creamer - 1tbls is 15 cals. I use a GIANT mug though so use 2tbls, making my morning coffee ~35 cals. It is my main breakfast item though, so I'm not trying to make it calorie free, just trying out different options :)
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    i invested in good coffee beans and grid them when needed I've gone from a lot of milk and 2 sugars to just a dash of skimmed milk to take the edge of sometimes :)
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Quality of the coffee makes a huge difference, I can drink it black or with a little bit of milk. :)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I drink it black. Always have.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Need my coffee and I just make it fit to my calories for the day. I have cut back a bit on the sugar though.
  • StephanieL14
    StephanieL14 Posts: 124 Member
    Mmm coffee. I used to drink it with milk when I first started drinking it but I've enjoyed it black for the last 8-10 years. Sugar in coffee never tasted right to me
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,246 MFP Moderator
    I use half and half and that's it. If i happen to want it sweetened, I suck it up and fit the extra calories that sugar adds into my day. :)
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    The different between my coffee before and now is the milk and sugar, I switched to 2% and I only add one sugar cube. Some days when I feel like I need hairs to grow on my chest I have it black. Viva Cuban coffee!
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Most days it's just skim milk. Sometimes I'll add a teaspoon of sugar. If it's going to be my dessert, I'll have skim and a tablespoon of flavored creamer (International Delight Frosted Sugar Cookie is our current favorite). I love coffee and will drink it any way. Right now I'm having a cup with just a teaspoon of sugar.

But to answer the OP, I think skim milk is the way to go. It adds a little of its own sweetness and it smooths out the rough edges if you're not in the mood for that.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    I am a coffee addict I guess...
    I love coffee. Dunkin donuts to be exact.
    I use fat free creamer and equal.

I have posted before, a large iced coffee keeps me from snacking in the afternoon. It seems to control my appetite.
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    I tip my hat to all these black coffee lovers but I do love a cup of coffee that tastes like dessert! I put unsweetened almond milk in mine (I did that before MFP but was pleasantly surprised to see that I can add up to a half a CUP and it's only 15 calories) and then I live for the Torani sugar free coffee syrups. They're all either 0 or 5 calories for 30 mL and it's so much fun to switch them up and try new ones! Right now I'm alternating between S'Mores, Belgian Cookie, Salted Caramel and Brown Sugar Cinnamon!
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    I put fat free half-and-half and a big spoon of sugar free hot chocolate mix into my coffee. It's a yummy mocha!! :happy:
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    sweetener & cream- but i only put in 20 mls of cream so its only 75 cal a cup, and 1 g carbs.
    almond milk would be another low carb option instead of cream :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
    Ok. I haven't had time to read all the replies so forgive me if I repeat. You said low-carb? I'm your lady.
    Torani and DaVinci have sugar-free syrups. I haven't tried them yet, but have many friends who rave. So look those up on Amazon. Try Monks Fruit extract or liquid stevia. I use heavy cream in my coffee AND I add a half TBSP of coconut oil. Something about it intensifies the sweetness of the artificial sweeteners so I don't have to use as much. Plus, it helps me get in some fat. Some people add butter, but it tastes meh to me.

This is my personal recipe:
    Folgers mixed with Chocolate Truffle gourmet coffee
    .5 TBSP coconut oil
    3 TBSP Heavy Cream
    1 tsp powdered splenda
    2 squirts Monks Fruit sweetner (Skinny Girl)

It's about 3 carbs.

I'd be happy to answer any other low-carb questions. :) I've lost 39lbs, so it must be working.:drinker:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
    I tip my hat to all these black coffee lovers but I do love a cup of coffee that tastes like dessert!

Hear, hear!
    Much respect for the coffee purists, but I MUST have my coffee and it MUST be a little sweet. I'm a happier and more energetic person with the coffee. And if I'm weak because I need my sweet, then I'm fine with that. :smile:
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Nothing! I drink it black. Better for you that way. I use to drink it with coffee in my Cream and Sugar. But I changed that once I realized how much fat and calories is in the add-ons..

I would imagine though, if you want to flavor it, you could probably add skim milk, splenda or other sugar sub, and perhaps a pinch of honey or something...
  • ! cup of black coffee plus 1/4 cup whole milk and one splenda....divine:drinker: !