Replies

• PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Also, thanks for the suggestions!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I make my own dough to whatever size I'm craving, but I used to just load up a pita.
    Book all the toppings and fill in those cals. Just make room for whatever you want. Eat a smaller breakfast and lunch.
    Cauliflower is a vile weed and should be banned by civilized nations but especially should not be in any way associated with delicious food such as pizza.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    You should be able to get a regular slice of quality pizza in around 350 calories if you go with something like simple margherita. Just make a small regular pizza and be careful with the toppings.
    freschetta canadien bacon and pineapple thin cust is 990 for whole pizza. California pizza kitchen chipotle black bean thin crust is 890, And delicious. Dunno if they qualify as quality to others though.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    You should be able to get a regular slice of quality pizza in around 350 calories if you go with something like simple margherita. Just make a small regular pizza and be careful with the toppings.
    freschetta canadien bacon and pineapple thin cust is 990 for whole pizza. California pizza kitchen chipotle black bean thin crust is 890, And delicious. Dunno if they qualify as quality to others though.

The Great Pizza Debates of 2014 have revealed that "quality" is somewhat open to interpretation, but at least they weren't as brutal as the Pizza Wars of 2013, or the Pizza Conflagration of 2012. In any event, I define it as a crispy thin crust made of white flour, fresh mozzarella, tomato sauce, and fresh herbs all put together by someone who knows his/her way around a wood fired pizza oven.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I can't do it for 350 calories but I can definitely reduce the calories compared with a takeaway or supermarket pizza. And this is for a proper pizza still not a fake diet one made of pitta or courgette or something.

I use this recipe: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/basic-pizza and weigh the dough and divide it into 10 portions. I would ignore the instruction to make the dough straight on the worktop and mix it in a bowl first. Otherwise its way too messy.

The dough is freezable, so I put each ball of dough into a food bag ready to defrost next time I want pizza (means it's much easier to make the next time so less excuse for buying ready made ones).

A tenth of the douugh recipe is 343 calories and it initially looked small to me, but I made it into 2 small pizzas and found I didn't need to eat the whole lot - I ate about three-quarters and saved the rest for lunch the following day.

I used light mozzarella which reduces the calories a bit.

I was having pizza as a treat anyway so had the toppings I wanted - chicken, chorizo, barbecue sauce and piqante peppers.

On the other one I did my favourite (have to do this every time I make pizza). Cook the pizza just with sauce and mozzarella. When it's done, cover with a layer of parma ham (thin slices, strong flavour means a little goes a long way so not too naughty - it added 50 calories to mine), a handful of rocket and some more mozzarella. So good!

My calories still came to 624 which I know is rather a lot, but it was a treat and I ate plenty. I reckon I could've eaten a bit less (500 calories?) with salad and not been hungry.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like my pizza and I'm willing to make room in my caloric allowance to do it. For most people, that's entirely possible to do.

If you really want a low cal option, try making a cauliflower crust and using cheese made from skim milk, then topping it with veggies and whatever lean protein you have (like chicken).

I used to make a cauliflower crust, then add thai sauce, a bit of mozzarella, tons of broccoli and chicken chunks. You could probably do that whole "pizza" for 350 calories or so.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Tofu Pizza Bowl - vegetarian - 180 calories
    Single serving:

1/2 tsp olive oil
    4.0 oz Extra Firm Tofu, diced
    7.0 slices Turkey Pepperoni
    2.0 tbsp Pizza Sauce
    1.0 tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flake
    0.25 cup diced onion
    0.25 cup diced Red Bell Pepper
    Garlic Bread Sprinkle
    Cayenne
    oregano

Drain and cube tofu, sprinkle it with cayenne and salt, wrap in a paper towel and let sit at least 20 min. You can do this to the whole block and keep it in the fridge for a week, taking out what you need when you need it.
    Saute onion and bell pepper in a skillet with salt and oil
    Add Tofu and pepperoni and and GENTLY brown tofu on all sides
    add spices and sauce and cook for an additional 2 minutes
    Transfer to a bowl, toss with nutritional yeast, and dig in.

you can add any traditional topping you care too
    making sure to cook the tofu gently keeps the texture closer to cheese, so don't over toast it
    The N.yeast can be replaced with parm, but it will increase the calories
    I sometimes dice a light string cheese and add it the last min of cooking, but it's really not necessary.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    we have been making our own pizza. i buy dough at trader joes, weight out a chunk, squash it thin and cover it with designer toppings. i like one i made with (trader joes) eggplant garlic spread, smoked mozzarella, sliced olives, sliced cherry tomatoes.

i want to make one with fig jam, gorgonzola, and caramelized balsamic onions, but i keep not having the fig jam.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I replied earlier but re-reading your post saw you wanted 350 calories. Also, I could eat pizza daily. Having run out of ingredients I had to revise my normal daily pizza and was happy to see it is much closer to your calorie limit. I did add spinach and onion that I forgot to track. The laughing cow gives it the creamy texture you are missing by using fat free cheese but the calories are so low and protein so high I do like to use it. The turkey pepperoni is the 70% less fat. You could sub cooked chicken, ground turkey for lower sodium options. Lots of protein and fiber. It fills me up too so I don't have to just "work in" one slice and then still be hungry. I also find making these during the week helps me to say no to pizza when I'm out. You need to spray the bottom of the flatout with pam to crisp it. Josephs pita is lower in calories and a good sub if you can find it.

Flatout - Multigrain, 1 flatbread 100 17 3 9 8 1
    Priano - Aldis tomato sauce, 1/4 cup 35 6 1 1 1 4
    Amour - Turkey Pepperoni, 12 slices 53 1 3 7 0 0
    Kraft Natural Shredded - Parmesan - Cheese, 1/8 cup 55 1 4 5 0 0
    Mozzarella Fat Free - Kraft-natural Shredded Cheese -, 0.5 cup 90 4 0 18 0 0
    Laughing Cow - Cheese - Light Garlic & Herb, 1 wedge 35 1 2 2 0 1
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    368 cal 30carb 13fat 42protein 9fiber 6 sugar