Coffee lovers

Options

Replies

• DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Anyone else a huge fan of coffee? What do you put in it to make it low carb/cal and still tasty? Any suggestions?

I love my coffee and can drink it black but I also love to have a little something-something in it too. I'll put a little Irish cream or Amaretto in it. and if it's a little high in carbs so be it! I like my little selfindulgances from time to time. Don't nobody judge me!
    Just make it in small volumes and you can make it up elsewhere or just work it off.
    Best of luck!
    DW
  • jessicalewis82
    jessicalewis82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil and heavy cream.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    My current coffee is just with almond milk if I'm at home, or skim milk if I'm out. I like it on the darker side so I can taste the coffee, not what I add. It used to be with 4 sugars, but I reduced, then cut it out completely about two years ago. I have a Keurig, so I keep that stocked. I love Dunkin Donuts coffee, both at the drive through and as K cups. I work nights and maybe twice a month, when I have some calories left, I'll get a tall, skinny mocha, but make them put in one pump of chocolate syrup instead of their standard three - it was like sludge with that much.

I usually do one large cup a day, but found that since being on this weight loss journey, I do crave more, so sometimes it's twice a day. Not sure why that is, but at least it's only about 18 cals (DD is 10 for a large black and 8 cals for 2 oz almond milk).
  • XoxoKellyXoxo
    XoxoKellyXoxo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You guys rock! Thanks so much for the great suggestions. :)
  • nmmom2
    nmmom2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Definitely a coffee lover....as I sip my Cup of Joe. I used to use a lot of the flavored coffee creamers and I really packed on the weight. I have switched to vanilla almond milk and a Tablespoon of Half & Half. I like to have a creamy flavor to the coffee. It took a few weeks to adjust to not having all the sweet stuff added to the coffee.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I add some vanilla protein powder, milk and sugar to my espresso :)
  • greenstar25
    greenstar25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The only way to make your coffee taste better is high quality coffee beans. I use "Kicking Horse", but there are many good brands. So no Folgers, Maxwell etc. I love my coffee that much that I am willing to "sacrifice" the 40 cal.of 2 tbsp of half and half (I have tried lots of other things, but nothing comes even close).
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I put 2% milk and stevia in mine at home but i have it as is when out and having filtered coffee.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I use Equal sugar substitute and non-dairy coffee creamer. I pour about 20oz cups of coffee, and use a tbsp of the creamer and 8 packets of Equal, works out to only 30 calories. You could use Stevia but Stevia has additional carbs/calories, and I find I can cut those out by using Equal.

I'm not afraid of that Equal stuff at all.
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    lavazza coffeee mmmmmmhmm
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Short, strong and black - as long as its good quality
  • ChloeBear414
    Options
    I dont skimp out on the creamer! I always use those international delight coffee creamers pre-poured in to the little cups to add to my coffee. I can afford those calories and take away something else from my diet for the rest of the day if i have really gone over board. =) hope this helps
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    A coffee press makes a huge difference in the taste of the coffee. You can get one for around 20 bucks. I love adding just a splash of almond milk and pairing a morning cup with something like a quest bar. :smile:

+1 - Totally agree. Great for making a single cup too.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I was always a fan of the flavored creamers, which can def add on the calories. Not a fan of black coffee, so was trying to think of something to add in to give it a flavor and sweetness

I love sweet, flavored coffee, too. I find if I'm not in the mood for working in 100's of calories for my coffee, I can get the same effect by brewing (I love my Keurig) flavored coffee (5 cals or something a cup), then I only need to add one measured serving of flavored creamer (~20 cals or so, or whatever) to get the same intensity. Mmm, now I want my Mocha Swirl K-cup w/ caramel creamer. Or maybe some pumpkin w/ vanilla creamer. Decisions....

Also, adding a pinch of cinnamon to the grounds before brewing is delish, and 0 calories, too!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I love coffee so much, I use most of my calories for the day on coffee instead of food.
  • Alchemagician
    Alchemagician Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    After a lifetime of drinking it with a lot of milk and sugar, I switched to drinking my coffee black. It took about a week to get used to the taste, which I find funny because now I love the taste and can't imagine adding all that crap to it anymore! :)
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I put half n half in my coffee.

Yep, you read that right.

Why not enjoy it?

I just make it fit in my calorie budget.

People make calories and food way too hard. Eat what you like, within your budget. You'll be happy and lose weight. Best of both worlds.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    We have a super-auto espresso machine, so I'm kind of spoiled there. I make my own iced coffee 1-2 times a day in my reusable Starbucks cold cup .. 10 ice cubes, 2 shots of espresso, 1/2 cup whole milk - 76 calories, 6 carb, 4 fat, 4 protein. It took me awhile to stop drinking almost a tablespoon of sugar in every cup of coffee, and now when I do have sugar in coffee it's like a teaspoon max or it's far too sweet.
  • MyMalfunction7
    MyMalfunction7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've messed around with a few different things!
    Quarter cup of almond milk - 15 calories (2 extra calories if you add 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, which i highly recommend :P)
    1 tbs Hazelnut or French Vanilla sugar-free Coffee Mate creamer - 15 calories
    Or when I'm feeling like I want a treat, single serving cups of International Delight - Amaretto, Hazelnut, French Vanilla, Pumpkin, Hershey's Chocolate and Caramel, Irish Cream, Almond Joy.... all flavors are 30 calories and are just so, so tasty

I add sweet and low, 3-4 packets, to each cup of coffee as well. I like very, very sweet coffee lol
  • xael1234
    xael1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to dairy so we use so delicious French vanilla coconut creamer. I don't use sugar