Running/Jogging problem, need advice

Options
So I've been running, on and off, for about two years, about five times a week steadily for the past four months. In the past two months, I've been having some issues with side stitches. It doesn't happen often, only three times in the past two months (however the last two were only two weeks apart), but when it does happen, it derails the run completely. It's not just a minor ache, it feels like I'm literally being stabbed and almost brings tears to my eyes. However, its very likely not a more serious problem, because the pain vanishes completely the second I switch from running to walking.

I've tried waiting and walking for awhile, then switching back to running, but that doesn't work. All three occasions have been on a completely empty stomach, so that isn't the problem. The second that I start running again, the pain immediately flares back up, just as bad as before. I've tried different breathing tricks, stretching out my obliques, but nothing seems to work. Once I get one, I can't run or jog anymore for the duration of the workout. This is especially a problem because I'm training for a half marathon and I can't afford to have my long runs screwed up by side stitches.

A little additional background, and another question: I used to get side stitches all the time when I ran, or did any vigorous exercise. However, I solved that problem for the most part. I run first thing in the morning on a completely empty stomach. The "first thing in the morning" part is personal preference, its my favorite time to run, but the "completely empty stomach" part is not optional. I absolutely cannot eat before I run, or a side stitch is guaranteed. I've experimented with eating something small a full two hours before running, but it still resulted in a side stitch. Five hours, however, seems to be acceptable. A few times, I went for an evening run a full five hours after lunch, just before dinner, and I was fine. However, my mileage is increasing every week, and after this half marathon, I'd like to run a full marathon. Is it possible to run a half marathon or a full marathon on a completely empty stomach? I haven't experimented with gels DURING the run yet, so I imagine they would be fine, but is it really ok to run a marathon without eating breakfast first?

Replies

• onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about marathons, but I have advice for the cramps/stitch part - potassium and water! Every morning I would wake up with cramps in my foot - it's excruciating! But now that I stay on top of my hydration and potassium intake (bananas & potatoes are my go-to, but there are many sources). Not sure if it's just one of those myths and I'm just eating more nutrients in general (plus a daily vitamin), but it has worked for me - cramp free for about 2.5 years!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree. More water should help.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be hydration related as well.

You might also be light on fuel and salts. You don't appear to be eating back consistently so you're probably a bit under fuelled.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water in the hour before you run? If you stomach is too full with water it can cause a stitch. Try keeping hydrated through the day and only have small sips of water in the last hour before you run.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be hydration related as well.

You might also be light on fuel and salts. You don't appear to be eating back consistently so you're probably a bit under fuelled.

You might have a point. I don't always record my exercise here, and I rarely eat the calories back because I'm nervous about eating more calories than I've actually burned, even though I use a heart rate monitor. Maybe I'll consider upping my calories at least for long-run days.
  • Boccellin
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who suggested hydrating more. It wasn't something that occurred to me, but now I'm thinking that's what might be the problem. I do drink water through the day, but I rarely pay attention to how much because I always assumed I was getting enough. Come to think of it, when I got my side stitch this morning, I was feeling a bit thirsty. I'll try to add more and see if that helps. Maybe I'll even throw in some Powerade Zeros, no calories plus added potassium. I'll see if that helps.
  • nucgirl13
    nucgirl13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Definitely up your water intake. I run here in AZ and usually get side stitches when I am not properly hydrated. I haven't done a marathon yet but am into triathlons and do not think it would be a good idea to attempt a half or full marathon without fueling on the run. Whatever you want to experiment eating on your runs definitely try it out before race day. My stomach can be pretty sketchy running but find that I do great with honey stingers waffles and energy gummies. They taste delicious and don't upset my stomach or make me cramp.
  • Boccellin
    Options
    Definitely up your water intake. I run here in AZ and usually get side stitches when I am not properly hydrated. I haven't done a marathon yet but am into triathlons and do not think it would be a good idea to attempt a half or full marathon without fueling on the run. Whatever you want to experiment eating on your runs definitely try it out before race day. My stomach can be pretty sketchy running but find that I do great with honey stingers waffles and energy gummies. They taste delicious and don't upset my stomach or make me cramp.

I still have to try experimenting with fueling on the run. I'm somewhat new to long-runs, I've only recently started going for more than five miles at a time, so I haven't had much time to play around with on-the-go fueling. I'm hopeful that some gels or gummies will be ok since they're not really substantial like food. My question was more about pre-run fueling. There's really no way I'll be able to eat breakfast before the half or full marathon. Do you think it would be ok to just have a good dinner the night before, then gels and gummies during the run? Or do I absolutely need to find some way to eat breakfast first, in which case I should start daily experimenting now? I'm not so worried about the half marathon, but a full marathon is a beast on it's own, without having food issues to deal with.