What're your go-to "quick dinner" options?

Options
Hey there!

I'm a college student who works and studies, and so I often need really quick and simple meals for dinner. Something I can pop in the microwave quickly. Unfortunately, while my college is supposed to cater for me, they automatically assume "vegetarian" means "feed her all of the pasta/rice/potato things!" and that doesn't quite fit my weight loss journey, so I feed myself instead, but I only have a microwave and kettle, fridge and freezer!

Does anyone know of any good, quick and easy meals I can prepare with my limited resources? I'm getting a bit over rice noodles with soy/sweet chilli and microwave soups!

Share your "go to" quick dinners- it might help me, and it might help other people!

Replies

• Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Well not really a go-to option....but what about investing in a crock pot? Lotsa recipes online that might help. Sorry that's all I can come up with:smile:

An electric two burner stove??
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite "I don't want to cook" meals is whole grain bread, goat cheese, and sliced avocado with a dash of salt. I like the spreadable goat cheese, but if I have the crumbled kind, I throw it in the toaster oven to melt it before putting the sliced avocado on top.

I like Amy's frozen meals and burritos, they aren't all vegetarian but there are many vegetarian options. One of my favorites, even though I'm not vegetarian is the Light & Lean Quinoa & Black Beans with Butternut Squash & Chard.

Since you have a fridge you could do some make-ahead type salads. I found several interesting options on the website Budget Bytes. There's a recipe for chickpea confetti salad that I love on that site. There's a falafel salad that looks great and I'm planning to try today. It calls for a cooked grain but maybe you could snag something from your dining hall to toss in if you don't have the tools available to cook grains at home.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a stove top, my quickest and yummiest cheap dinner is white bean chili.

Tin of white beans (I prefer butterbeans, but cannelini or whatever you fancy)
    onion
    carrot
    celery stick
    vege stock (marigold bouillon, in the UK)
    bit of beer.
    dry coriander and cumin

Chop up the veg. Stick everything in a pot, and cook for 20 minutes till veg are soft.

Stir in a bit of fresh coriander (cilantro) to serve. A spoon of creme fraich and some grated cheese tart it up nicely.

Next to no prep time, and cooks quickly, and is super yummy and filling and full of protein.
  • hollmart
    hollmart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Breakfast For Dinner:
    Scrambled Egg (if you do eggs) with Salsa, or Spinach - easy to make in a microwave
    Plain Shredded Wheat with almond milk - no cooking involved
    Oatmeal

Or you could not plan on a full-on dinner, but allow yourself two more snacks late in the day / early evening, instead.

Your school's dining hall hopefully has a decent salad bar - which should help.
  • jackibailey
    jackibailey Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like microwave vegetables in the steamable bags and I always have a bag of frozen sweet Asian chicken thighs by Tyson. Get them at Walmart. I also eat a lot of Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I usually have a piece of fruit with those. And I love egg white omelets with fat free cheddar cheese. Frozen tilapia is good. I like the square ones by Gordon's. I'm a lazy cook but this is what I enjoy eating.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest you have a chat with your catering department head, about nutrition & how they're failing you. :grumble:

Since dinner for me is often only 300 cal or so, my 2 go-to things are:

greek yogurt with a sliced piece of fruit & some dry oatmeal, sometimes honey (cal vary depending on amount of oatmeal & honey)

a wrap made with a mini tortilla (50 cal), 1T black olive paste, 0.5T sundried tomato paste, bacon bits, a slice of cheese (cheddar or colby), 2 slices turkey lunchmeat, and sometimes a little bit of lettuce or spinach (290 cal)
    Obviously you would substitute tofu / soy meat products.

Tonight I'm having something new: a mini tortilla spread with 2T almond butter, wrapped around a banana. (315 cal)

My favorite summer salad would be easy for you to make with your limited tools:
    1c couscous + 1c boiling water + 1t garlic powder + 1T olive oil - put it in a big bowl & let it absorb while you add everything else on top, then stir it all together
    1 can chickpeas, drained
    4-6 oz crumbled or finely chopped feta cheese (easiest: get the tub of crumbles)
    1 can sliced black olives, drained (sometimes I use 2, 'cause the cans are small & I like olives)
    1 cucumber, chopped
    about 2c chopped tomatos
    1 bunch parsley, chopped
    can also add: chopped yellow bell pepper, chopped summer squash
    Best when chilled, but fine at room temp if you can't wait.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Soup au pistou for cheaters. Boil some frozen mixed vegetables. Add a chopped tomato and a tin of beans (plain, not in tomato sauce). Add a big dollop of pesto into each bowlful to flavor the broth.
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I love the Tasty Bite Madras Lentils - I buy them at Costco but I've seen them other places as well. They come in little pouches that technically have two servings in them but I figure you only live once and eat the whole pouch for 300 calories and 14 grams of protein. They cook in the microwave in 1 minute and taste awesome! I've eaten them by themselves, over rice or quinoa, or over steamed veggies.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I keep my favorite frozen low caloire meals in the freezer … i pop them int he microwave with a handful of frozen broccoli on top…

i love reduced guilt mac n cheese from trader joes.. 270 calories. I also add tuna to that at times

and Trader Joe's Chicken Tikimasala …300 calories…

I also like a few lean cuisnes.

all good in a pinch . (for me)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches. I find the Sarah Lee 45 calorie bread to be a nice option, whole grains, not many calories. I use extra filling on one slice of bread and eat it as a sort of "rollup". Works for me.

Oh, a bowl of cottage cheese. Dressed however you like. Some sweetener and a few splashes of vanilla for an ice cream knockoff, or maybe splash some hot sauce in it for a hot wing type thing. Cottage cheese is not for everyone though. Nothing faster or easier than that, though.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I cook batches of food then freeze them in individual portions, take one out to defrost each day. Frozen veg is quick to cook in microwave. I boil a few eggs at a time to keep in fridge. If i have been forgotten to defrost anything and have no time to cook then i a tin of beans with a salad. I always try to keep some salad stuff in fridge. Does not take long to cut up some cucumber,lettuce , etc then can add olives, cheese , nuts. Basically i can nearly always throw together to good salad with lots of extras to add protein and healthy fats. Drizzle over some olive oil and add sprinkle of salt or soya source if like. An old favourite of mine when younger if super rushed was home made banana milk shake. Break up banana in a jug, pour over milk and whiz with a hand blender, nice with cinnamon too. Hand blenders can be got cheap, take up hardly any space and are easy to wash if stick in water after, great for making soups too. Could have milk shake with a healthy sandwich or beans on toast. added salad is always good. Omelet is another quick simple dinner option. If got a little time then could do a small stir fry in your sauce pan , much quicker to do than you might think, just cut stuff up smaller to cook faster, Tofu, veg , beans etc .
  • melaniebester
    melaniebester Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest you have a chat with your catering department head, about nutrition & how they're failing you. :grumble:

Tried that, they don't care for much other than my money. ($500 a week rent for a room and food I don't ever eat that they still charge me for. Grumble
  • melaniebester
    Options
    I find the Sarah Lee 45 calorie bread to be a nice option, whole grains, not many calories. I use extra filling on one slice of bread and eat it as a sort of "rollup". Works for me.

We don't have the low calorie bread in Australia :( I have no clue why, but our lowest is about 150cals per serve which makes me sad. Still fine, but 35 would be a dream for me!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a trader joe's pre-pack salad but most of the ones I eat contain chicken.

Trader Joe's vegetarian canned chili is excellent. They also have frozen palak paneer (if you eat cheese) and a variety of other Indian food entrees that are vegetarian.

add: Not sure what country you are in & if Trader Joe's exists there...
  • melaniebester
    Options
    soup!

watch the sodium though!

I eat SO much soup, it's driving me right up the wall! My two major eats are soup and also small portion rice noodles, boiling water, chicken stock (faux style) with sweet chilli. It's about 730kJ so like 160 calories which is an awesome dinner!
  • melaniebester
    Options
    I was going to suggest a trader joe's pre-pack salad but most of the ones I eat contain chicken.

Trader Joe's vegetarian canned chili is excellent. They also have frozen palak paneer (if you eat cheese) and a variety of other Indian food entrees that are vegetarian.

I probably should have mentioned I'm in Australia- they don't like vegetarians here. We don't have much pre-packaged vegetarian food that's low-cal. :)
  • melaniebester
    Options
    Soup au pistou for cheaters. Boil some frozen mixed vegetables. Add a chopped tomato and a tin of beans (plain, not in tomato sauce). Add a big dollop of pesto into each bowlful to flavor the broth.

That, that is amazing. I have all of those things lying around my house! I'll try this for tomorrow's dinner and report back! I might use tomato soup over the top or canned tomato instead though!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Also check out any Asian markets in your area, and check out Indian and Asian cookbooks. Lots of vegetarian Buddhists in Asia and India, so there are many vegan dishes in the cuisines of those countries.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Tried that, they don't care for much other than my money. ($500 a week rent for a room and food I don't ever eat that they still charge me for. Grumble
    $500 a week!! Why don't you just buy a house, it would be cheaper.