What're your go-to "quick dinner" options?

Options
2»

Replies

• melaniebester
    melaniebester Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest you have a chat with your catering department head, about nutrition & how they're failing you. :grumble:

Tried that, they don't care for much other than my money. ($500 a week rent for a room and food I don't ever eat that they still charge me for. Grumble
    $500 a week!! Why don't you just buy a house, it would be cheaper.

I'm moving in about a month into a flat of my own where I can cook and I'm so excited you have no clue! I'm really struggling with the finances, it's horrible and really stressful, does no wonders for my anxiety. I'm in a pretty yucky place right now but i just have to push through and keep working to pay it off before I move.
  • osmium3
    Options
    The breakfast-for-dinner suggestion would have been my answer. However, I have another..

I nuke boneless, skinless chicken breasts all the time. Now that in and of itself doesn't qualify as a meal, so I cook whole grain pasta by the pound and dole out portions accordingly. Since there are way too many ways to make pasts more exciting as a meal, I will leave that up to you.

Nuke some broccoli, drink some skim milk--as long as you're not lactose intolerant--and you have a pretty well balanced meal for little money and rime spent. It also has the benefit of being a helluva lot healthier for a person than any frozen dinner of which I can name. This is mostly about the sodium load that typically comes with frozen dinners.

The reasons that this is one of my "go to" meals is that it is really easy to portion things out, and I too am often pressed for time for not entirely dissimilar reasons. PLUS as previously stated there are lots of ways to add some pizzazz to pasta without blowing your calorie budget.
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    tinned soup. probably bad for you. but quick and under 200cal, and the bean ones have some protein.

tinned beans (not baked beans). with salt.

protein scoop with yoghurt
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Quick:
    - Canned tuna
    - Canned beans
    - Salad (Letuce, tomato, cucumber).

Drain tuna and beans and mix it up.
    Shred lettuce, slice tomato and cucumber and mix them up.

Ready.
  • wuggums47
    wuggums47 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite "I don't want to cook" meals is whole grain bread, goat cheese, and sliced avocado with a dash of salt. I like the spreadable goat cheese, but if I have the crumbled kind, I throw it in the toaster oven to melt it before putting the sliced avocado on top.

I like Amy's frozen meals and burritos, they aren't all vegetarian but there are many vegetarian options. One of my favorites, even though I'm not vegetarian is the Light & Lean Quinoa & Black Beans with Butternut Squash & Chard.

Since you have a fridge you could do some make-ahead type salads. I found several interesting options on the website Budget Bytes. There's a recipe for chickpea confetti salad that I love on that site. There's a falafel salad that looks great and I'm planning to try today. It calls for a cooked grain but maybe you could snag something from your dining hall to toss in if you don't have the tools available to cook grains at home.

I definitely second amy's, they have great vegetarian and vegan food, and all you have to do is microwave it.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    morning star farms patties
    steamed broccoli, asparagus, zuchinni, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc ( can be done in microwave)
    cucumbers and tomatoes
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Amy's Kitchen makes some very good vegetarian microwave entrees. I still eat them sometimes even though I am not vegetarian anymore. :) The black bean vegetable enchiladas are my favorite.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting one of these halogen ovens.
    They use little electricity and you can literally cook just about anything in them, from toast to stew to roast dinners to stir fries to soups and so forth.

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-R-HCO-11001-Halogen-Convection-Oven/dp/B005EHQN4Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410118123&sr=8-2&keywords=halogen+oven
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    Usually my quick go to dinner is a veggie burger either on a flatbread or bun with spinach, cucumbers or pickles and mustard.
  • cottony
    cottony Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    -low fat cottage cheese
    -with tomatoes
    -and cucumber
    -with slice of whole wheat bread
    - and green tea.