Diet Fads that do NOT work ( i know, do any? )

Options
12346»

Replies

• MissCherrySwirl
    Options
    Any diet that only lasts a limited time and does not lead to a lifestyle change basically will only work temporarily as you'll likely gain the weight back.

"Lifestyle changes" have the same abysmal rates of long term success and maintenance as temporary fad diets and radical dieting.

Regardless of how it's lost, the overwhelming majority of people either fail to reach their goal, or fail to maintain that goal.
    So are you saying that people should then just roll the dice and hope that they aren't one of the majority? Or is that lifestyle change is really beyond one's control?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I kind of love you for saying that last part. Often people start with a lifestyle change and then get to where they want to be and switch to "I reached my goal, I'm done" mode and go back to eating pretty much how they did before they made their lifestyle change. Combine that with how fat cells vs. muscle cells work and they gain back a bunch of weight. Yikes! Yes, lifestyle change means FOREVER! Of course you can make careful adjustments to it but bottom line is you are never done.

People still confuse 'diet' with 'lifestyle change' that's the problem. If you want weight loss and maintenance to be permanent you have to get out of the mindset that weight loss something you do for a little while and stop. A lifestyle change is something that should be sustainable for life. That's where I'm up to, trying to change my behaviour and wanting a 'quick fix'. It's hard to do when you have lived your life being set in your ways.

I've tried...

Jenny Craig, weight watchers, various shakes, the Dukan diet and carb free fads. None of which teach you how to eat sensibly, portion size etc. As a result I lose weight and put it back on again!
    Those don't teach you about portion control or eating sensibly? Do you not understand the point system is based on calories for weight watchers? Hmmmm....

Jenny Craig gives you food, you blindly stick it in the microwave and consume it. Where in that does it teach you to portion control and eat healthy? It's also laden with so much salt it's ridiculous. Weight Watchers might be a calorie counting type diet, but why do I want to pay for going to meetings to show me how to count calories when I can do it on MFP for FREE (and it's pretty frigging expensive!)? Also their food tastes like cardboard and I avoid it like the plague. I'd rather eat full fat and just log it and move on.
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Metabolife.

Metabolic research center... As a teen, they gave me pills and a guided eating plan, list of forbidden foods, and weekly weigh ins...i ddi drop a lot of lbs, and I did gain it back....and it was all ephedra based then. Not sure what it is now, as it still exists. :/
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Any diet that only lasts a limited time and does not lead to a lifestyle change basically will only work temporarily as you'll likely gain the weight back.

"Lifestyle changes" have the same abysmal rates of long term success and maintenance as temporary fad diets and radical dieting.

Regardless of how it's lost, the overwhelming majority of people either fail to reach their goal, or fail to maintain that goal.
    So are you saying that people should then just roll the dice and hope that they aren't one of the majority? Or is that lifestyle change is really beyond one's control?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Nope. I'm saying that slapping a "lifestyle change" label on your dieting doesn't magically put anybody in a better position for beating the odds.

It's become quite common for people to claim that if you call it a "lifestyle change", or lose it slowly, or do it in "moderation", and many other such popular dieting platitudes, it equips you better for long term success. That's not backed up by any actual facts or statistics. Calorie counting, point watching, carb counting, fast loss, slow loss, moderate loss, portion control, dieting, "lifestyle changes", all ultimately have extraordinarily horrendous long term results.

So I'm merely saying that regardless of how you lose, it's best to be aware that it's an uphill battle for most people, no matter how how you label the journey.
  • Bessyboo82
    Options
    Fad diets don't work its about changing your food intake and exercising. The 123 plan is similar to the dukan diet.. Is it coincidence??? NO ! Terri ann lost her weight via the dukan diet . This widely known in the area where terri ann is from. If i read shakespeare and copied it onto A4 and sold it does it mean i have compiled it myself ? Definitely not. An amazing business evidently for this lady, is it morally right to steal other professionals hard work and claim it to be your own ? Thats for others to decide
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Agree completely - high schools should teach a course called life skills - how to cook, how to eat sensibly, how to shop sensibly, how to manage your money, how to be in a relationship, how to be a parent and on and on...........that would actually prepare people for life.

High school should teach this? Are you kidding me? The last time I checked, this was called PARENTING.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one old enough to have tried Ayds? You were supposed to take them before meals and they were supposed to swell up and fill your stomach so you wouldn't eat so much. Nope. Did not work. I followed the directions but no magic full feeling. My appetite was not lessened. I did not lose.

Does anybody remember the embarrassment producing product that was Olestra? It was supposed to prevent fat absorption. Olestra potato chips felt like they had coated your entire digestive tract, from your tongue to your poop chute with a greasy, plastic film. Food slid through, unhampered by the digestive process. It was too disgusting to try more than once.

Weight Watchers worked for me in the 70's, the 80's and the 00's. Only problem is I fall back into old habits as soon as I decide I've spent enough and stop going to meetings.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one old enough to have tried Ayds?
    You're about 14 years older than me but I remember Ayds from an older sister trying it in the mid-70s. The vibrating belt machine was still around, too, I think? I remember Marlo Thomas on That Girl using it.

I tried a box of Alli when it first came out. Eh. You limit your fat intake to 15g/meal so you don't have greasy orange diarrhea. I could do that without an expensive pill.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Low fat diets. Hahaha. What a bunch of crap those are
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The "eat right for your blood type" diet. I'm embarrassed that I got suckered into trying that one!
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have several friends that swear they lost a lot of weight on HCG. What's the story there?
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Face type diet.... All those home made oatcakes and disgusting green soup....ugh.

And Slimming World made me feel so ill it was unreal.... Low fat diets do bad things to my digestive system... And I put on weight :frown:

One of the shake diets, Celebrity Slim (I knowwwwww! :embarassed:) does actually work for me, though. Trouble is I have a mild dairy allergy so it's impossible for me to do for an extended period. The weight lost stayed off until my boyfriend moved in...
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My mum did Lighter Life where you only drink these awful expensive milkshake sachets. She lost like 5st very quickly but then her hair started falling out.

Once she stopped Lighter Life and started eating normal food, she ballooned back up and is now way bigger than she was pre-lighter life.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    In high school, I megadosed on Metabolift (off-brand Metabolife) at the urging of a boyfriend. I felt awful after doing that for a short while and had to stop. I also drank Kombucha tea with my mom - it tasted like warm vinegar, so of course you won't want to eat after that!

I tried some chitosan liquid while in college - saw an infomercial for it. Did nothing. Neither did this weight loss vitamin supplement my cousins were using and selling - can't remember the name of them now.

I have also tried Atkins and didn't work at all. I felt awful after week 1, yet lost zero lbs. My doctor recommended South Beach. I got the book but didn't do it because the food was expensive and I was a broke grad student.

I thought about Alli, but I thought better of it once I remembered it was a tapered-down version of Xenical. My dad took Xenical back in the 90s and apparently had a lot of "treatment effects" (ie lots of oily poop and emergency restroom trips while on family vacation).
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    Alli....you will **** yourself....true story.:mad:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Low fat diets. Hahaha. What a bunch of crap those are

Exactly. :grumble:

I prefer eating food that tastes good. And satisfies.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    All diets seem now to be called 'lifestyle changes' now, though that may be because you have to change your life completely to accommodate them.

I have done Slimming World but struggle after the first few pounds. It doesn't really teach portion control, and some of the free foods are not particularly healthy.

I liked WW until they changed to pro points.

I tried the Harbourne diet twice but the lack of carbs on the first week led to me having a full blown migraine. When I questioned this on the forum was told it was me detoxing. I decided to keep hold of my toxins and gave up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    ANY diet works if one follows the program. A FAD DIET is one that will help one lose weight, but one that's not likely sustainable by anyone looking to lose a few pounds and keep them off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    as an adult the only diet i ever tried was atkins and i barely lasted a week. not because it doesnt work but because it SUCKED. sorry, i like food or i wouldnt be in this mess, why would anyone want to restrict what they like from their lives...

i do calorie counting, and it works, i do diets, they dont. because i hate them.

my mom used to get me to try this and that with her when i was a tennager. cabbage soup, atkins, blahdy blah and i hated them all so much that they didnt work.

the only thing that has ever worked for me in all this time is calorie counting. not having anything be off limits, but just controlling how much of things i eat.

people try to tell me about diet pills and i just pshaw at them. no thanks.

i count my calories. i eat what i want but less of it. i continue to love food and not feel like i cant eat it and i lose weight.