HELP! all I want is French fries and ice cream!!

Options
I have let go of all the foods that I love.I am 230 pounds and have been for a long time. I never eat fruits I never eat vegetables so I'm making a healthcare life choice.when does this get easier? Does it get easier?I swear to God I had a dream of chili cheese fries last night.I have let go of sodas fast food and junk food. I am eating a lot of fruits and vegetables now.and I'm frustrated because even though I'm eating nothing but fruits and vegetables my calorie intake is still over a thousand.so every night I get aggravated when I review, I feel like fruits and vegetables should be free calories but they're not. Any input on on this. I'm having a hard time dealing.

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Healthy does not equal low calorie. And many of us find that giving up everything you love is the road to quitting and giving up. I have never given up foods/drinks I love, but I'm eating/drinking less of them. I just fit them into my calorie needs. I watch portion sizes. And I try to fulfil my protein needs above everything else (sometimes I don't get there, most days I'm close).

I think it's great that you are trying to eat more veg & fruit, but it shouldn't be your entire diet.

And you might want to check out the TDEE method of eating/losing weight so you can have as many calories as possible, which means you'll learn to how to eat for life versus for just the short-term.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • weebo45
    weebo45 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I know that feeling when you start out you feel deprived when not eating ice cream or french fries, the first few days (or weeks as it was for me) can be tough. Honestly I didn't think i would be reaching for an apple and passing up the chocolate bar... but you will get there! Its hard to break bad habits I would say stick through it as much as you can, for me personally I avoid buying those foods so I am not tempted to eat them! In the end its a lifestyle change, like the user said above its portion control so you don't feel deprived!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I am eating a lot of fruits and vegetables now.and I'm frustrated because even though I'm eating nothing but fruits and vegetables my calorie intake is still over a thousand.so every night I get aggravated when I review, I feel like fruits and vegetables should be free calories but they're not. Any input on on this. I'm having a hard time dealing.

Do you mean you are upset because you are 1000 calories above your calorie goal, or you are upset because you an unable to keep your total calories below 1000? If it's the latter, you're not supposed to be doing that anyway. Your logging is virtually nonexistent, so I'm not sure if you are eating everything in sight and not logging or just don't understand how MFP works.
  • mandyleec12
    Options
    it's because I just started logging in today I didn't log in yesterday cuz I had just downloaded it and I was busy. I wanted to keep it 1000 calories or less and it seems like I keep it at 1200I'm not happy with that considering all I'm eating as healthy food
  • mandyleec12
    Options
    I have been very hard on myself exercising a lotthe only thing not healthy the time consuming at the moment is my coffee creamer but I refuse to let that go I let everything else go.. I was using the lose it out before I like this one a lot betterhowever I just went on the scale I have lost 4 pounds in 2 daysso happy maybe I am doing something right
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It's kind of hard to see what's going on for you because there aren't any entries in your diary. I think that your calorie allowance is probably too low (1000 kcals at 230 lbs is very low indeed) what has mfp set for you? Seriously eat more calories and check your macros - if you are just eating fruits and veggies it might be that you aren't having enough protein.

I can understand wanting to cut out junk foods but if you are craving something so badly that you are dreaming about it then eat it, log it and move on. Don't let your craving push you to a full on binge! I do think that more cals and balancing your macros will help with your cravings tho :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum you should be eating, and even in your case is probably too low. At 230 I was eating ~1800 net calories and I was losing easily.

You don't have to give up fries or ice cream. I eat ice cream at least three times a week. Learn how to eat the things you love in moderation, that way you'll get the satisfaction from them and not feel deprived/tempted to binge.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have let go of all the foods that I love.I am 230 pounds and have been for a long time. I never eat fruits I never eat vegetables so I'm making a healthcare life choice.when does this get easier? Does it get easier?I swear to God I had a dream of chili cheese fries last night.I have let go of sodas fast food and junk food. I am eating a lot of fruits and vegetables now.and I'm frustrated because even though I'm eating nothing but fruits and vegetables my calorie intake is still over a thousand.so every night I get aggravated when I review, I feel like fruits and vegetables should be free calories but they're not. Any input on on this. I'm having a hard time dealing.
    How about eating some of the foods you love? No food is bad or good they all offer something. How about going for a balanced diet with a reasonable calorie goal. You really don't need to make yourself suffer
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum you should be eating, and even in your case is probably too low. At 230 I was eating ~1800 net calories and I was losing easily.

You don't have to give up fries or ice cream. I eat ice cream at least three times a week. Learn how to eat the things you love in moderation, that way you'll get the satisfaction from them and not feel deprived/tempted to binge.

A fine point Malibu - I've just been through a phase of eating ice cream *every* night!!
  • bandgeek_17
    Options
    It is no wonder you are craving french fries and ice cream because I am pretty sure your body is craving more nutrients. I am currently at 226. I eat a lot every day. I eat a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 3 snacks. I am never hungry and I eat fruit or veggies and some protein at every meal. It helps keep me full and energized. My goal on MFP is 1490. I eat probably 1250 to 1350 of those plus I eat my exercise calories. The numbers are designed to take into account the deficit you need to lose weight. Fruit and vegetables and fabulous and very healthy for you but those alone will not sustain you through the day. You need protein and complex carbohydrates and good fats. You should never be eating under 1000 total, it will do more harm than good. Your body will slow down and it will hold onto the weight/fat.

Good luck on your journey and keep making healthy choices.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    As others have said, if you deprive yourself you will find it harder and really for no reason.
    You could lose weight eating nothing but chocolates and cheese cake if you wanted ( not that it would be healthy)

If you can afford it get yourself an actifry, best fries ever and not much worse calorie wise than a baked potatoe.

Ice cream, in moderation, or frozen yogurt is not horrible either. I have ice cream almost daily,atleast 4 times a week but normally nightly and I'm down over 100 pounds.

It's all about how much you eat, not so much what you eat
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You're eating too little calories, being too aggressive with your goal and your food choices. It's no wonder you are fantasizing about food.

I strongly urge you to rethink your calorie goal. 1200 calories should be the absolute MINIMUM (without exercise), and I would hazard to guess that even that is too little for you, considering your current weight. If you're exercising as well, then you need more calories on top of that too.

Like another posted already stated, you don't need to give up any foods. There are no good or bad foods... just food. Eat the food(s) you love, in moderation, within an appropriate calorie goal. You'll feel much better, stop fantasizing, you'll be less likely to binge, and you'll lose weight.

Remember, the goal isn't to eat as little as possible or be miserable. You can be 100% happy with the foods you eat and still lose weight. You don't have to be scared of calories. Calories are good for you, just not in excess.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Eat what you LOVE...in moderation. Many people give up on their weight loss goals because they deprive themselves then go back to gorging. This journey is not about deprivation. It is about portion control...we eat much much more than our body needs with all the super size this and that we do. So now you have to scale back on your portions. Why can't you eat ice cream? Instead of a pint, maybe eat the portion the ice cream maker recommends. Make your own cheese fries, etc.

I haven't given up on the things I love, I just eat them in smaller portions and balance out my calories per day accordingly. Plus, you can always find ways to make the things you love healthier. I made some chicken parmesan and instead of frying the chicken breast, I baked it.

Take it one day at a time and good luck.

Here are some good MFP posts that can help you get started on your weight loss journey.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

OK, what everyone else has said. Also, why do you need to deprive yourself of chili cheese fries. Instead of going out to have them, make them at home in a healthier fashion that is just as good. Cut up a potato into fries. Bake them till golden brown, throw serving of chili on them with a serving of cheese and you are good to go. The key is serving, not a plate full.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    what the sloth said about going at it too hard, not a good strategy. Read the forums and see how people answer others questions.

You can see people prefer the strategy of deny yourself nothing if its important, but alter the portion size and regularity you eat it.
    If you want your diet to succeed, then it has to be more of a lifestyle change that you can maintain.
    There are ways to spend your calorie allowance on food that is more nutritious and perhaps moe flavoursome than what you are eating at the moment.

I think 1000 calories a day is way too little. Going too hardcore will be too hard and you will be unable to sustain it, so take soem advice off more experienced members and get a plan that will work better for you.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options

Read these links...they have a tremendous amount of information in them. Don't go all out. Figure out a decent calorie amount daily and then make sure you are at a deficit. You don't have to eliminate foods. You can have the foods you love occasionally as long as you account for them.
    Good luck to you.
  • mandyleec12
    Options
    thank you all I really appreciate the input.I do eat protein I eat grilled chicken and grilled steak but chicken more than steak steak is a lot higher in fat and calories I will start using things that I like but only a little bit once a day that way I still get something but I like every day I'm starting to get used to it lettuce is actually one of my favorite things to munch on them apples I now love them.. I drink nothing but water I do drink two cups of coffee every morningI will take everybody's a bite and it a little bit of something I likeeveryday and I will make sure I'm at 1200 caloriesI exercise a lot but I refuse to eat my exercisein my mind that's why we exercise
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    thank you all I really appreciate the input.I do eat protein I eat grilled chicken and grilled steak but chicken more than steak steak is a lot higher in fat and calories I will start using things that I like but only a little bit once a day that way I still get something but I like every day I'm starting to get used to it lettuce is actually one of my favorite things to munch on them apples I now love them.. I drink nothing but water I do drink two cups of coffee every morningI will take everybody's a bite and it a little bit of something I likeeveryday and I will make sure I'm at 1200 caloriesI exercise a lot but I refuse to eat my exercisein my mind that's why we exercise

Just so you know, your calorie deficit is already built into your calorie goal. That's why you are meant to eat your exercise calories. Because you are giving your body extra work, your body needs the calories/energy. You're only short-changing yourself by not eating at least a portion of them back. And you may even end up in the same position you're currently in, because your body WILL send out signals that it's not getting enough calories. It's not about negating your exercise calories. It's about providing your body with sufficient energy (calories) and nutrition while being able to keep up a moderate deficit. Too aggressive of a deficit can lead to problems you really don't want to touch (think weakness, tiredness, loss of hair, loss of bone density, loss of muscle mass, etc.).

I strongly encourage you to read the sexypants link provided and really really think hard on this. You don't want to go balls to the wall only to give up because you're feeling run-down, ragged, and deprived. Figure out how many calories your body truly needs, do some research, invest in a food scale, eat the food you love, live your life to the fullest and lose weight while doing it.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    @mandy, please listen to those that have had success. You are setting yourself up for major challenges down the road by not paying attention to what people are saying that have been in your shoes. You really don't want to be one of those that comes back six months, a year or maybe even five years from now and say you were wrong.

Please read the links above and as @Ninkyou said, think long and hard about the path you are taking. I am now 45 years old and have been up and down a lot since high school. In just in the last two years I have finally stopped trying to do it my own way or follows the latest fad. This is the longest I have kept the weight off. I have had some bumps, but nothing I knew I wouldn't be able to wworking through. I really wish I would have kept it simple 20 - 25 years ago and maybe I wouldn't have as many aches and pains today.

ETA: exercise is about health and fitness, NOT weightless. That happens in the kitchen. You can lose all the weight you want without exercise. Exercise just makes you a better you.