Can't lose any more weight :(

Options
I lost 50 pounds without exercise. I have been maintaining the same weight for a few months. I currently weigh 140 but want to lose the last ten. I've been jogging 30 minutes a day for about two months. Nothing too much but I thought it would make a difference.

I don't eat bread, pasta or red meat.
I normally end up eating around 1200 calories a day.
I don't always track them or count calories because I always maintain the same weight.

Replies

• wubbykid
    wubbykid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your body may be used to your workout, you might need to up the intensity!

Also, track your calories and eat at a deficit.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds without exercise. I have been maintaining the same weight for a few months. I currently weigh 140 but want to lose the last ten. I've been jogging 30 minutes a day for about two months. Nothing too much but I thought it would make a difference.

I don't always track them or count calories because I always maintain the same weight.

So you don't track calories because you maintain the same weight but you can't seem to lose the last 10 lbs? Did it make sense when you read what I just wrote?

This, plus you really don't know if you are eating 1200 calories since you aren't weighing and tracking it. If you were really eating only 1200 calories you would be losing.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Yeah... those last 2 sentences completely contradict each other. If you aren't tracking or counting your calories, how do you know you are only eating 1200?

I would start by tracking your calories every single day, weigh and measure everything for accuracy. Losing those last few pounds are the hardest, so you have to be consistent and patient. Also, 1200 is too low IMO. I started off at 1200 and never lost any weight. I upped it to 1400-1600 and the last few pounds melted off over time. Calculate your BMR and eat above that, calculate your TDEE and eat below that (10-20%)

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Youre eating at maintenance. Which, unless you are an old, sedentary, 3 foot tall lady, is a fair amount more than 1200 calories.
    You yourself admit that you seldom track calories "because you are maintaining" but interestingly you would like to lose 10 more pounds. I would advise you to get a scale and start tracking.
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    I meant that when I track them it is always around 1200. I eat the same things, mostly organic foods.
    I have been 140-141 for couple months.

I don't know about macros and how much you need to eat if you exercise certain amount of time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose the last 10, tighten up your tracking belt, so to speak. You need to be accurate by weighing and measuring. As you've less to lose, the deficit has become more critical.
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    So, I should eat more or less calories now that I need to lose the last ten?
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    Never mind the bmr calculator said 1377
    Tdee 1988

Thanks!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    You're 5'5" and 140, which is in the normal range. Losing those last few pounds won't be as easy as the first because you are close to the right weight for your size. You might want to focus more on changing your workouts to change your body shape and less on the scale. You'll probably lose very slowly at this point, less than .5 a week.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Never mind the bmr calculator said 1377

do realize BMR is if you were pretty much in a coma for 24 that is how many calories your body would be using up. TDEE is what you need to figure out what you are ACTUALLY using. AFter that you can reduce it accordingly, not going under 1377, and working out and you will find yourself loosing weight.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Are you getting enough protein? if you are not, then you might be eating your muscles instead of your fat when you are working out.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    You're 5'5" and 140, which is in the normal range. Losing those last few pounds won't be as easy as the first because you are close to the right weight for your size. You might want to focus more on changing your workouts to change your body shape and less on the scale. You'll probably lose very slowly at this point, less than .5 a week.

this is also very true.

You might loose inches and gain muscle but the scale might not move. are you doing body measurements? This will help figure out if your body is changing.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    So, I should eat more or less calories now that I need to lose the last ten?
    No, you shouldn't eat more calories to lose weight.
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I have not measured in a very long time.
    Will do that tonight :)
  • phonegal2
    phonegal2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Truly Blessed: Losing 50 lbs is such a feat in its self. I would consider weight training. Running can burn muscle if you do to much. If you've never lifted, your muscles will wake up and start burning. You might have lost some muscle mass with such a large loss. I trained for a 1/2 marathon and actually gained weight. Really measure and log everything you eat. I don't want to log every bite but all those bites add up. A chip here or a sugar drink there. Seeing the patterns and realizing how sedentary we are every day help me to realize that I cannot eat as much as everyone else. 1200 cals is very low, and you need more to maintain your nutrients. Slow and steady does it. :smooched:
  • truly_blessed90
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement.
    I just recently have decided that I really want to weight train and lift.
    I have saggy belly skin and a little under my arms, cardio can only do so much.