20 lbs to lose and over 40...

tczaja
tczaja Posts: 12
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
I have seen lots of people here under 30 but I know the weight loss for those of us over 40 is totally different! I would love support from "metabolism impaired" over 40's!!

Replies

• Murphy3
    Murphy3 Posts: 32
    OK, I'm 39 and I feel your pain. Can't drop the weight as fast as I could when I was 20.
  • purple_power61
    purple_power61 Posts: 59 Member
    I'll be 50 in april..... I feel your pain plus 10 lol
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Ditto. I am also 39 and frustrated. When I was younger, I could skip dinner and lose five pounds. Now, I am working out and eating right and......nothing. Good luck!!!
  • I'm 39 and really struggled with the last 10 lbs until I started using this site. I was exercising like crazy but would lose a few then gain it back. Tracking my calories and drinking water really worked for me.
  • mlanier
    mlanier Posts: 1 Member
    I am 51. I have lost 17 pounds but it has taken 17 weeks!
  • AmandaHammill
    AmandaHammill Posts: 125 Member
    I'm going to be 50 in September of this year and embarking on trying to lose 60 pounds in a health way by then (70 or 80 if all goes really well). I've found this site really great for keeping you honest about what you eat and 'reminding' you that exercise is important to changing one's lifestyle. I'd be happy if you added me as a friend. You're likely to hit your goal before I do, but I'll cheer you on all the way!
  • cora88888
    cora88888 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi, I just joined today too. I am 40 and have a very slow metabolism. I'm trying to lose up to 40 pounds and I hope this site helps us both. Good luck!
  • Just turned 51 and this weight loss thing sucks. I go up and down 5 lbs and wish it would just stay gone.
  • billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    join the club i have lost 33 pounds but still have about 36 to go at 43 and wishing i had started earlier but hey ho. this site has been a great help so far and am taking each day as it comes. good luck.
  • I too am "metabolism impaired"....am on thyroid meds. I can tell you that EXERCISE is definitely key to my weight loss. Plus, I feel alot better physically & emotionally when I exercise.
  • They just adjusted my meds this week for my thyroid and I hope it helps me out. The exercise is definitely necessary.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Hi,42 here and hve 25 to go its tough but worth it.hang in there it will happen:bigsmile:
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    I'm 43, and I've lost 40 lbs in the past 5 months. Its hard, but we can do this!!!!!
  • snowdays
    snowdays Posts: 23 Member
    i am 47, pre-menopause hit a little over a year ago and i packed on a few (10) more pounds.I started a healthy diet on Jan. 1st and have lost 12 pounds so far. I just found this website last night and hope it is the tool that will help me lose the weight & keep it off. I really want to lose 20 more pounds and keep it off. I need all of the help that I can get. I seem to lose a few pounds and then gain them back with interest!!
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 532 Member
    I'm 44 and it's definitely harder than it used to be...BUT. not impossible! I hate to exercise but have found that 15-20 minutes on the elliptical before breakfast while my coffee drips, revs up my metabolism for the whole day. Sometimes I'll jump on for another 10 minutes before dinner. I think exercise is the key to taking it off & keeping it off over 40.
  • bromk
    bromk Posts: 34
    It all gets a little more difficult with age. I'm 43, it's taken me 18 months to lose 40 pounds (13 since joining MFP in January). I've still got 30 to go. I'm really hoping it doesn't take another 18 months, but I guess my body will decide (since I don't seem to have much control over it anymore :grumble: ).
  • zeityp27
    zeityp27 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi everyone,. I am 41yrs and new to this also, it looks sooooooo good around here. I think I will luv it. :bigsmile:
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    If you want to boost your metabolism- you must do strength training- muscle burns fat- I am 42 years old, and I used to drop weight A LOT when I was younger, I still drop weight quite a bit now too. Exercise is not anything you need to hate. Find what you like, even if it means dancing around your living room with your I Pod- or riding a bike. Exercise does not have to equate to torture :)
This discussion has been closed.