Serving size for frozen vegetables before or after cooking?

Options
Hi, I was just wondering...the serving size that is listed on frozen vegetable packages in the nutritional info box, is that the weight of the vegetables in the frozen state or cooked state ?

For instance, the Green Giant shelled Edamame's serving size is listed as 100g (1/5cup)
So I weighed 100g of the frozen edamames but it's way over 1/5cup =/

Please help :(

Replies

• salbunnylettuceleafyexley
    Options
    i would have assumed its about the same, either way frozen veg are usually low in cals anyway, so i don't think it would make much difference
  • cjl2535
    Options
    The weight is pretty different with frozen and cooked I find =/
  • cjl2535
    Options
    ANYONE ?? =/
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    On something like edamame which is high in calories but very good for you, I would recommend weighing before cooking. Most veggies I wouldn't worry about the weight, in fact most veggies I don't weigh I just measure with a cup. Calories are so low that the difference is not something to worry about.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Total mystery for me. I mean, the 'steam in the bag' stuff doesn't specify if it's frozen or cooked either, but I assume it's cooked, so I'm guessing the non steam in the bag stuff is cooked as well.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I always wonder this as well. To be on the safe side, I go with the frozen weight. Then, if I'm wrong, I've overestimated.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It's for frozen weight. There are nutritional entries on websites to put in an estimated nutritional value for the cooked alternatives. If I am cooking in bulk I use cooked estimates, if raw then I use the nutritional info on the bag itself.

Most of the time, if it does not specify cooked or raw/frozen then it is indicating the nutritional info for the state of the food as it is in the packaging. In this case, frozen.

You will find that most foods do not actually line up with their measurements. especially with something round like edamame, which will leave spaces all throughout... just weigh your portions. Oh and log for how you weighed it! So if you weighed it raw look for the raw entry. If oyu weighed it cooked, use cooked entry.

http://skipthepie.org/?q=edamame

You can see that the info for frozen might not match up with your Green Giant label; doesn't match up with mine. But I still use the cooked info because it's better than nothing, and all calorie counting will be an estimate anyways. So if you have some type of "official" guideline to use you will at least be within the ballpark.
  • cjl2535
    Options
    Phew, thank you all so much >< I guess I will use the frozen weighing and hope for the best :P