My Clean Eating Dilemma

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Choose fattier meats-- steak, chicken thighs, etc.

Is butter considered "clean?" I know it depends on the school of thought to which you subscribe.

Rice, oil, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, granola (again, assuming butter is okay), homemade bread (I could probably eat 1200 calories of that by itself. :blushing: )
  • Your username... WHY ?

While making my account I kept punching in different usernames and they were all taken. Even "Therearenomoreusernames" was taken. I was getting irritated lol
    :laugh:

I know the feeling. I once made my username when I was first trying to get a yahoo email account slimeylizardthing because everything else was taken. It's weird but it works.

I would add that I too have a hard time eating enough cals most days. I eat a low-carb diet which is mostly meat, a little veggies, and fat. That stuff is very filling, my stomach has shrunk, and I have no cravings (unless my husband and kids eat sweets and such in my face. Carb addiction was ugly but I'm good now). Some days I can hit 1500, sometimes it's more like 1350. (They do make things like chips, and other processed foods to make you crave more, btw. They actually do. It's called formulating the food to hit the "bliss point.") So once you've weaned yourself off and don't crave it any more, food just becomes fuel to you. And some days I just don't feel hungry or feel like eating.

Nuts, nut butters, meat, avocados...and add a glass of juice or two if they don't cause you to crave more sweets (it does that to some people), or maybe even try making a healthy smoothie. I think you said dairy was an issue, you can use coconut or almond milk instead of milk for smoothies. And try to eat a little more fat. Fat is not the enemy. The studies based on that turned out to be falsely reported.

Kudos to you on managing to eat 'clean' in a processed world. Some people can lose weight and thrive while still eating the occasional junk food. Chips and sweets just make me crave and binge those foods and many other people have that problem as well. Eating clean can really help you get to back to what the majority of your diet should be. And as you've learned, those basic foods can satisfy you better than you would have thought.

Could you post a typical day for us if you don't want to open your diary? That might help us make better tailored suggestions.

Yeah, I was having a problem with cravings and I don't really crave anything anymore. I am craving cheetos at the moment because I cheated a couple days ago and had a small bag of cheetos that came with a burrito I ate with my husband a couple days before.

And I just posted yesterdays intake :)
  • Choose fattier meats-- steak, chicken thighs, etc.

Is butter considered "clean?" I know it depends on the school of thought to which you subscribe.

Rice, oil, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, granola (again, assuming butter is okay), homemade bread (I could probably eat 1200 calories of that by itself. :blushing: )

I haven't even thought about butter... I'll have to look into it. This whole thing has definitely made me more aware of how a lot of stuff is made.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused as to your definition of 'clean' and non-processed - everyone has different definitions - but most of the things you have said you are eating are actually processed. So I am assuming you mean 'nutrient dense foods' for your staple foods.

It depends on whether you are looking for higher protein, fats and/or carbs - it sounds like you are low on them all based on your posts however.

You mention dairy free, so I would look to cooking fattier fish, such as salmon and tuna. Don't be afraid to use oils. Also, have some bacon! Nuts and seeds, and nut and seed butters are good. Also, hemp, flax and chia seeds are a good addition. Depending on your fiber, you can chose less fibrous (and therefore less satiating generally) fruits and veggies.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options

I haven't even thought about butter... I'll have to look into it. This whole thing has definitely made me more aware of how a lot of stuff is made.

Once your get into the groove of things, many people find a 90/10 or 80/20 approach better for them. As in, pristinely perfect 80 or 90% of the time, and the occasional processed item. So I wouldn't freak if all your processed intake is butter or oil. As long as you are mostly perfect, and don't let too much "occasional" creep in, you should be golden.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lqpcldWOT71qh3icjo1_500.gif

Don't let this guy clean your food. :flowerforyou:

Good luck! When I was in Ireland it was amazing, everything was fresh food, they didn't have preservatives in everything. You had dorm fridges so more frequent trips to the store.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

TBH that's one reason why "clean" eating gets so much flak. There's no definition so it's hard for people to give suggestions. For example, strict "clean" eaters would not consider bread or tortillas to be "clean" foods. I don't think you should cut them considering the trouble you're having reaching your goal. But it might be helpful to give a more precise definition of the kind of foods you want to eat.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Organ meat tends to be more calorie dense. You could try adding some of that.
    (And I'm not even making an innuendo here, for a change.)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I can really only second what others have already said.

You NEED to eat more food.

I don't understand your definition of eating "clean". There are about a billion different definitions, but I've never heard one that included "fresh bread".

It would be better for you to eat a serving of some kind of "not-clean" food every day rather than eat so little food. The point of clean eating is more nutrition on less calories for sure, but based on your sample day, you are NOT getting enough nutrition.

I don't mean this as an insult, but sometimes the brain is more powerful than the stomach. After going through such an ordeal, maybe you are so afraid of gaining the weight back that you are convincing yourself you aren't hungry because you don't WANT to eat anymore?

Regardless, if you are truly not hungry after 500 calories, you need to go to the doctor. You are not eating enough food and it will start to damage your body. Good luck to you and please take care of yourself..
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Can you list the amounts and foods you ate that added up to 550 cals because it doesn't make sense.

Sure, I ended up almost making it to 700 by midnight.

I wasn't awake for breakfast.

Lunch:
    Raspberries 60g = 31
    Avocado (small organic) = 227
    Hard-boiled egg white ( I usually eat the yolk, but wasn't feeling it yesterday) = 17

Dinner:
    6-inch flour tortilla = 75
    Raspberries 100g = 52
    Pollack Fish 4oz = 90

Snacks:
    Sourdough bread (turns out it did have nutrition facts even though it was made at the grocery store) 1oz = 130
    Pistachios 1oz = 56

= 678

Suggestion: Lunch doesn't sound very appealing to me (personally) but as a salad with some chicken it sounds amazing. Add a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar and your calories will be much more reasonable.
    Dinner: Put the fish in the tortilla with some rice, cucumbers and tzatziki made with greek yogurt.
    snacks: put something on that bread. Almond butter would be good.

You have to ask yourself if you can eat the way you've been eating for the long term. I can only speak for myself, but when I've failed in the past it's because I over do the dieting and exercise and give up. I like my food to be delicious.

Edited for spelling mistake
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I don't think we need to get all hung-up on the definition of "clean." She has her own definition, and as all THIS is about HER journey, all we need is to focus on her eating more calories. I think is she follows the suggestions thus far, she'll be ok. Good luck, hun! I know it's hard.

I'll add this though. I realize that sometimes the desire not to eat is not always "I'm not hungry," but occasionally it's "I'm not hungry for this kind of food." So recognize real hunger and then eat a snack: handful of nuts or something else. And tell your inner food-demon that this is how it is and he/she better like it. Sometimes, once we get to the level of the non-frantic eating drive, we have to deal with the "not in the mood for my diet food" syndrome. Just be on the look out for that.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much processed food and am *hungry* at my 10% cut of 2030. Feel free to look at my open diary for food ideas. If your not hungry at 1200, maybe you should exercise more/ start lifting weights and you'll have no problem eating 1200 for breakfast "clean" or not :).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can you list the amounts and foods you ate that added up to 550 cals because it doesn't make sense.

Sure, I ended up almost making it to 700 by midnight.

I wasn't awake for breakfast.

Lunch:
    Raspberries 60g = 31
    Avocado (small organic) = 227
    Hard-boiled egg white ( I usually eat the yolk, but wasn't feeling it yesterday) = 17

Dinner:
    6-inch flour tortilla = 75
    Raspberries 100g = 52
    Pollack Fish 4oz = 90

Snacks:
    Sourdough bread (turns out it did have nutrition facts even though it was made at the grocery store) 1oz = 130
    Pistachios 1oz = 56

= 678

If you really are eating just this and feeling like you can't eat more (not just not super hungry) and it continues for more than a few days, go to a doctor. Probably it will take care of itself. I don't care how clean you think those foods are, I don't think that's an especially filling diet and usually when people say eating clean (a term I dislike) is so filling they mean because protein and fat and fiber tend to be more filling than processed carbs.

It looks to me like it's less no hunger as you being scared to eat more calories--egg white for breakfast, cooking low calorie fish with no oil for your only real protein. Berries (which are great, but low calorie) as your fruit of choice.

Also, it indicates to me, again, the problem with focusing on cutting out foods as the definition of healthy vs. really thinking about a balanced diet. You have inadequate protein (you aren't even choosing vegetarian sources if you are avoiding meat other than fish for ethical reasons) very few veggies, and based on that a limited selection of fruits.
  • I am a bit confused as to your definition of 'clean' and non-processed - everyone has different definitions - but most of the things you have said you are eating are actually processed. So I am assuming you mean 'nutrient dense foods' for your staple foods.

It depends on whether you are looking for higher protein, fats and/or carbs - it sounds like you are low on them all based on your posts however.

You mention dairy free, so I would look to cooking fattier fish, such as salmon and tuna. Don't be afraid to use oils. Also, have some bacon! Nuts and seeds, and nut and seed butters are good. Also, hemp, flax and chia seeds are a good addition. Depending on your fiber, you can chose less fibrous (and therefore less satiating generally) fruits and veggies.

I guess what I mean by clean is that there aren't any preservatives.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Full on 500cals? :laugh:

You say you're eating rice and nuts, those are calories dense...50g of cashew nuts is 300 cals, 100g of rice just over 350cals

You're kidding yourself.
  • I can really only second what others have already said.

You NEED to eat more food.

I don't understand your definition of eating "clean". There are about a billion different definitions, but I've never heard one that included "fresh bread".

It would be better for you to eat a serving of some kind of "not-clean" food every day rather than eat so little food. The point of clean eating is more nutrition on less calories for sure, but based on your sample day, you are NOT getting enough nutrition.

I don't mean this as an insult, but sometimes the brain is more powerful than the stomach. After going through such an ordeal, maybe you are so afraid of gaining the weight back that you are convincing yourself you aren't hungry because you don't WANT to eat anymore?

Regardless, if you are truly not hungry after 500 calories, you need to go to the doctor. You are not eating enough food and it will start to damage your body. Good luck to you and please take care of yourself..

By eating clean I mostly meant eliminating preservatives. That's why I'm okay with tortillas and breads that are made in the grocery store, although, I'd like to move to making them myself, I just decided to take it easy while getting used to all of this.

I don't take it as an insult and that might be true. I am in counseling for child abuse, so I try not to discount anything that might be psychological in nature.

I have a follow up appointment in a couple weeks with my doctor. If I can't fix this on my own, I might bring it up. Thank you for your input.
  • I am a bit confused as to your definition of 'clean' and non-processed - everyone has different definitions - but most of the things you have said you are eating are actually processed. So I am assuming you mean 'nutrient dense foods' for your staple foods.

Thanks!
  • Full on 500cals? :laugh:

You say you're eating rice and nuts, those are calories dense...50g of cashew nuts is 300 cals, 100g of rice just over 350cals

You're kidding yourself.

One cup of Jasmine Rice is 205 calories and I haven't had cashews.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ihave same problem. Since Im eating healthier, less processed foods, it is sometimes hard to eat a full 1200 (or more if exercising)...and stay within macros limits. I too get very full.

THANK YOU!!! I feel like everyone thinks I'm either lying or an idiot. When I ate junk I kept my calories between 1200 and 1400 and I did lose weight, but now it feels like eating healthy means I can't get enough. It might have something to do with the fact that I don't have cravings anymore. When I was eating crap I craved crap and was more likely to pig out and now I don't really have any cravings anymore and I try to eat when I'm hungry, but only until I'm satisfied so I don't feel sick and skip more meals as a result. But, now that means not reaching the minimum calorie goal. Nut butter and Vegan protein shakes seem like it might help, though.

I didn't think you were lying or an idiot. You said you were losing a pound a day!

You know, about a week ago, I cut out sugar and started eating clean/sorta paleo - and I haven't felt as hungry, either. I am not in the same position you are, at all, but I find it pretty easy to eat 1500 or less, even if I'm exercising a lot. Yesterday I hiked over hills for almost three hours and still only wanted to eat about 1400 calories. Today, however, I was a slug and was hungry - yet not in a craving way. I had bang on 1250 calories today.

I think for me it has been giving up sweets and eating far fewer what I call "white carbs" (bread, pasta, and potatoes.)

You said that you are not exercising because you are eating so little. I think maybe you should get some exercise and see if that doesn't get your appetite up. That way, you'll be better able to get crucial nutrients. And, if you can't eat much, make sure that what you eat is very nutrient dense - lots of veggies and fruits.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    How long has it been since you changed your eating, OP?