My squats fail

I've been working with a trainer for nearly a year, mostly using the smith machine for squats, but not always. I just switched locations and trainers and asked the new trainer to focus on my form since the old trainer never commented on form, ever.

Apparently, I lean too far forward, knees way over toes, and any attempt to compensate results in my torso leaning too far forward.

I've been seriously attempting to keep back, but once I get about 6 inches down I will literally fall backward. Using a bar in front, for front squats, helped a tiny bit.

Have you ever heard of anyone not able to squat properly? How can I fix this when i can't do a single one right?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Well- learning to squat- or doing most of your squats on the smith machine probably really hasn't helped.

I would start training with the goblet squat- and practice with a broom stick at home when you get a chance.

Pick your toes up as well (not a long term solution- just a fix to keep you from pitching forward)

It'll get better- just keep practicing.

I'm assuming you can pop a squat in the woods if you need to? or go to the bathroom at a dirty concert/train station type bathroom- which requires squatting.

EVERYONE can squat. It'll get better. You just have to retrain yourself.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    I had the same problems you did. New shows fixed me and now I squat most awesomely. I got Nike Free something other, there are all sorts of lifting shoes. Another thing that helped is I hung out squatting and went from bottom up instead. Practiced being down there with chest up and weight on my heels and standing up from that.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    A couple of things that helped me when I started squatting with the bar: 1.) Took a video of my form so I knew what I was doing so I didn't have to go by just "feel". It's easier to correct yourself when you have it on video to see what is what. 2.) I used a squat platform just to get the feel of the angle I should be at when putting my weight in my heels. You can do a full box-squat if you want, or just practice doing half ones until you want to go further. It took me two weeks (with one lower body workout per week) to get my form to be a good squat form. Now I can just "feel" how it should be. I do the full "*kitten* to grass" squats now, but it took a little time to get used to how the body moves from knees, ankles, hips, etc. I always imagine having a bar holding my knees out (just to have that image in my mind) and that helps with keeping a steady position.

Anyway, that is just a couple of thoughts on the topic. Good luck with them - they are effective!
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Thanks, I'm going to try a few of those suggestions.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Goblet squats and box squats will help!
  • Squat exercises are one of the best things you can do to tone your butt, hips and thighs. These are often the areas that women are most concerned with
    You must try this easy squat

Assisted Squat

Tie a band or towel to a sturdy object.
    Stand with your feet hip width apart and hold onto the band.
    Squat down, while holding the band, until your thighs are at a 90-degree angle to the floor.
    Press up with your heels and return to a standing position
    Repeat for a total of 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps.

Hope it will help you
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Really early on in my workout days, I used to use a yoga ball against the wall so that I wouldn't worry about falling backwards onto the ground. Practice using that with as little weight on it as possible while getting as low to the ground as possible. Use correct form to get those muscles built until you can do body weight without the ball. Slowly build up those stabilizing muscles around the knees.

Edit: Try to break 90 degrees in your legs so you get the full range of motion. However, it is easier to hurt yourself, so don't do this until you have proper form or without the medicine ball behind you.
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    I think you have a flawed perception of proper back squat form. Your knees may go past your toes a little. The bar should rest on your back about on the shoulder blades (this can vary based on whether you want to do a high bar or low bar back squat), not on your neck. You are not trying to keep your chest vertical during motion. You should expect your chest to shift forward and down as you begin to squat. This isn't to say that your leaning forward as much as keeping the bar in line with the center of gravity of you body as that point shifts. Also, drive with the hips first out of the squat. Your back may slightly move out of alignment during the drive, but it will correct itself as you drive through the motion.

I like Mark Rippetoe for a lot of basic stuff if your looking for more information. As others have said, take video of yourself duing squats from different angles and compare your form.

Here's a link to Rippetoe squatting for comparision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKEl4Wxoqc
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Have you ever heard of anyone not able to squat properly? How can I fix this when i can't do a single one right?

Yes. Form faults are common. Sounds like this is the result of paying for someone who shouldn't have been getting paid, paired with not properly communicating wants and needs.

Find a lifting coach and work with them to correct your faults.
  • Why the concern with standard squats? There are lots of other ways to tone your glutes and legs that don't involve a heavy iron bar across your shoulders.

Maybe try different exercises?

Me personally, I hate squats. I'd rather get punched in the stomach. Just my 0.02 cents.
  • dbmata
    Also, don't be afraid to try squatting with an empty bar and a bench. Essentially, with proper form, sit down. Then stand up. You'll start retraining that form. If you have someone that can help, you can also do that with a yoga ball.

http://www.shapefit.com/quadriceps-exercises-barbell-squats-to-bench.html
  • dbmata
    Why the concern with standard squats? There are lots of other ways to tone your glutes and legs that don't involve a heavy iron bar across your shoulders.

Me personally, I hate squats. I'd rather get punched in the stomach. Just my 0.02 cents.

Tone? Lol.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    I've had some of the same issues as you have when it comes to free weight squatting. My form still isn't perfect, but I've come a long way while using these methods.

1. Foam rolling - A majority of my inability to perform proper squat form came from a lack of flexibility in my hips and ankles. I spend a few minutes during my pre-workout stretch using a foam roller, especially on my hips and hammys.

2. Plates under heels - I know there are people out there who frown upon placing weights (plates) under your heels when barbell squatting, but there are trainers out there who recommend using them in the short term to help improve ankle flexibility. Using the plate has enabled me to get a lot deeper into my squats and reduced the tendancy to lose balance. I have been able to move from squatting with a 25 lb plate under my ankles to a 10 lb plate and hope to be "plate free" very soon.

Good luck!
  • dbmata
    2. Plates under heels - I know there are people out there who frown upon placing weights (plates) under your heels when barbell squatting, but there are trainers out there who recommend using them in the short term to help improve ankle flexibility. Using the plate has enabled me to get a lot deeper into my squats and reduced the tendancy to lose balance. I have been able to move from squatting with a 25 lb plate under my ankles to a 10 lb plate and hope to be "plate free" very soon.

Good luck!

Plates are fine and no different from the heel raise you get from powerlifting shoes. That's a good rec.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Why the concern with standard squats? There are lots of other ways to tone your glutes and legs that don't involve a heavy iron bar across your shoulders.

You're right- doing barbell bridge lifts is a pretty good way to get the hammy's to- but that requires a heavy bar across your pelvis.

I mean- I do both- so it doesn't bother me- but then again- not everyone wants to "tone"... some people actually want to get strong and become a functional human.

If you can't squat properly that's an issue.
  • dbmata
    Functional strength.