I went over 300 calories today..

Options
Hey everyone,

I believe the reason why I tend to over eat is because I start eating at 5am [I have to be at work at 5:30AM]. I mean.... I eat at 5, then Im hungry again at the time where everyone else is probably eating for the first time [8-10AM] then Im starting to eat for the second time that day. As far as eating a better breakfast, Ive tried that [I do not eat eggs, so its a little tougher]. If we are supposed to eat every couple of hours, then there really is no way of eating at 5AM and then holding off until like 3PM for lunch. idk...

Anyway, If someone could give me ways to fix this problem, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Replies

• MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You can rationalize all you want but your 24 hrs is the same as everyone else. (mean guy)
    It's not a huge deal, look at the long term have you averaged under or over. I go over from time to time but I'm under much more. I went 367 over a couple days ago.....average works. relax, take a deep breath and forgive yourself the day and move on with a smile.( nice guy)

It'll get easier. I have more trouble making the calorie count than not.
  • mjbehrendt
    mjbehrendt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I dont get up that early or anything, but I have found that eating little snacks like 90 calorie breakfast bars (one at 10 and maybe one at two PM) helps me a TON!! I dont know if it will work for you but it has been a lifesaver for me!
  • unworthyservant
    Options
    I have to get up that early too, because my husband has to be at work at 5:30. I think it helps to eat a pack of fruity oatmeal. Oatmeal makes me feel full and I can get by with a snack until lunchtime, whereas if I eat cereal or something I have to eat a lot of it to feel full and if I don't eat a lot I'm hungry again by 9 am. Oh and eating like, a big granny smith apple is so tasty and filling in the mornings, so maybe an apple and oatmeal and you will be so full, hope this helps :)
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Are you able to eat while you are at work? I used to work at 7am and found that on days I ate before work I was absolutely starving by 9-10am and my little snack would not hold me over until lunch as I usually didn't get lunch until 1pm, sometimes 2pm! If you were able to bring your breakfast to work with you and not eat until 6am, that might help you out with the hunger issue.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    What time do you go to bed? Are you getting enough sleep? At least 7 to 8 hours? What's your daily calorie goal?

Try to eat more lean protein, as well as fiber -- those foods will be lower in calories and keep you fuller longer. It definitely makes sense not to wait until noon for lunch, with you eating so early in the morning, so I wouldn't necessarily change your schedule. Just look at where your calories are going and see if you can make different choices.
  • SamWTFx3
    Options
    For breakfast, eat something light like a granola bar or a banana. Then a few hours later, do the same thing. By the time lunch comes, have something else that's light but a little more mealish. Maybe some grilled chicken or a salad. But not too much, because you have to remember your little snacks you've had up to that.
  • MomIntoFitness
    Options
    I went over 300 calories today also but that was because I couldnt help but eat my favorite bourbon chicken and fried rice :) oh well tomorrow is another day and this is my first time going over.

*** 392 to be exact.
  • rhonda1960
    rhonda1960 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm in no way an expert at anything except exceeding calories and failed diet attempts. However, the days that I am successful, I have grits in the morning or a fiber one bar. It seems to be high fiber foods and drinking the suggested water that keeps me satisfied. Don't give up, Even when I go over by 300 calories, I have to look at the positive side. I'm sure I've had days when I went over way more than that. Tomorrow is a new day. One day at a time. Hang in there.:smile:
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I used to get hungry every morning. I switched to greek yogurt and a banana for breakfast. That yogurt has tons of protein and holds me for HOURS! Give it a try - it's a good and good for you.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Why would you be holding off until 3 pm for lunch?

You should be eating every couple of hours. But you should also be getting ample sleep. So in other words...if you are getting up at 4:30/5 am, then to get 7 hours of sleep you would be in bed at 8/9 pm.

And most people who are trying to cut calories and lose weight try to stop eating 2 hours before bed. Make sense?

For example, my husband gets up at 5:30 and goes to bed at 9:30. He eats a small carb/protein snack (peanut butter sandwich/muffins/etc) before his workout. Then eats his breakfast at around 8/9 am. Then he has lunch at 12. He has another snack before getting home. Eats dinner at 5:30. Then a snack an hour or two before bed.

He works out heavily so his "snacks" are much more like small meals.

If you are having trouble staying full, then you need to reevaluate the % of carbs, fats, protein in each meal and make adjustments.

Good luck!!
  • jawrhrust
    Options
    Try a high fiber English muffin with peanut butter or almond butter. Measure out high protein snacks and put into a container for easy access. A 1/4 cup of walnuts, or whatever variety you like, are easy to eat even if you are on the phone are very active at work. Of course, look for other high protein, high fiber snacks that will tide you over until you can eat your lunch. And don't kick yourself for going over. It takes a lot of planning to find a way to eat to satisfy. Hope this helps.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The time of your meals may not really be an issue. It's the space between meals and how many times you eat. I get up at 7:00 and eat at 8:00 am and I am getting hungry 3.5 - 4 hours later, just like you. I found that eating every 3-4 hours helps me not get too hungry. My calorie allotment is currently at 1380 per day. I try to eat 3 primary meals of around 325 calories and 1 or two snacks around 150-200 calories. I don't always stick to it, but most days I do. The other thing that helps more than anything is to have enough protien at each meal. Forget the ordinary breakfast foods if you don't like them. Have chicken or some other protien. In England they eat beans and fish at breakfast. Was there once. Almost died when I went to the breakfast buffet. Thank god I found croissants lol. Good luck.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    Well silly that is b/c you are supposed to eat every 3-4 hours. Unless you want your metabolism to slow down! I get up at 4:30 eat oatmeal made with milk or two egg whites and whole wheat toast. I also consume most of my calories by 1/2pm so I am working on having a lot less at night to compensate.
  • classymentalitee
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLIES AND SUGGESTIONS!

I'm definitely going to try the tips and see what works for me.

Thanks again.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have the same schedule and I find it easy to stick within my calories if I eat clean. If I eat processed foods then it IS hard to stay within the limit. I typically eat breakfast at 5:30, snack at 9, lunch at 12, snack and 3, and dinner at 6. Feel free to add me as a friend so you can see my food log. Today I ate a lot of processed food though b/c I forgot my lunch on the counter at home :(