Low carb healthy pizza recipe?

Options
Riz72
Riz72 Posts: 67 Member
Any suggestions on making a healthy pizza. Don't want to use any bread or wheat at all. Any make shift kinda crust out there?

I've seen some people use cottage cheese with stuff. Suggestions?

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've seen some cauliflower crusts people like. Some people mix egg and ground beef together and make a 'crust'.
    The cauli one sounds like too much work for me. ;)
    This is one we have tried and like (including my 7yo who loves full carb pizza):
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/549376-thin-crispy-pizza-crust-easiest-ever-pics-included.html
    It's easy and satisfying.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I tried a cauliflower crust before after watching some how-to videos. It tasted great, but I had to eat it with a fork so I probably failed miserably at making it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Try the cauliflower pizza crust. Use a stone if you have one.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Cook some lean ground beef in a round pie dish and top it like you would a pizza: sauce, cheese, toppings. Super yummy!
  • Riz72
    Options
    I've seen some cauliflower crusts people like. Some people mix egg and ground beef together and make a 'crust'.
    The cauli one sounds like too much work for me. ;)
    This is one we have tried and like (including my 7yo who loves full carb pizza):
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/549376-thin-crispy-pizza-crust-easiest-ever-pics-included.html
    It's easy and satisfying.

I really like this but I find it has wayyyyy too much cheese... not for the taste purpose (can never have too much! lol)... but it would just be excessive fat I feel.

Any other alternatives?
  • pgh365
    pgh365 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    George Stella has a soy flour version. Only tastes good if you haven't had real pizza for a long time...
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I really like this but I find it has wayyyyy too much cheese... not for the taste purpose (can never have too much! lol)... but it would just be excessive fat I feel.
    When cut into 8 equal pieces, each piece has about 18.1 gm fat if you top the whole thing with two cups of mozzarella and pepperoni. Being a ketogenic kinda gal, the concept of 'excessive fat' doesn't compute. fvh30h.jpg
    But really, I hear ya'.

Any other alternatives?
    Not from me, sorry. It's just too good, too easy and fits too well into our macros, so I haven't looked for another.
    Sorry!
    Happy recipe hunting.
    9ats8i.jpg
  • Riz72
    Options
    No worries. Thanks!

I'll probably play around with it by going more Parmesan into the crust and cottage cheese. It's a trial and error method I guess.

I'll try it on Tuesday when I have a little time.
  • sweetconcern
    sweetconcern Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can use coconut flour in your crust it is a little sweet but very tasty. I make 1,2,3 cakes in Mirco for bread recipe is 1/4 c. of coconut flour 1/4 t soda and salt and lemon juice enough egg whites for liquid. Micro in glass 1 cup bowl for 1 min makes a nice little English type muffin. Slice and use for bread. I have added ground flax seed 1 T at times for brown bread... easy and all you need is Coconut flour. I order coconut flour from internet vitamin stores.. enjoy
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    My wife made a zucchini crust the other night. I love pizza and I can say I was quite surprised by how well it taste. There was zero flour involved in its creation. However, calories were higher than a whole wheat pre-made thin crust from Cub foods. Since I don't think carbs are bad I opted for that instead. LoL, I still think I had leftover carbs that night.
  • Riz72
    Options
    Could you post a recipe for that actually?

I'm at work right now and pizza was just brought in... and I rejected it... and left the room.

I need to get a good recipe and soon lol.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe
    You can sub in chick pea flour for the wheat flour and it will boost your protein. I use egg beaters instead of eggs and I use any bagged shredded cheese blend from the store. I'm not blowing that much expensive Parmesan on a pizza crust.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/summer-squash-pizza-crust/
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on making a healthy pizza. Don't want to use any bread or wheat at all. Any make shift kinda crust out there?

First, pizza isn't unhealthy.

Second, if it isn't on bread, it's not pizza.

What specifically are you trying to accomplish?
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Idk what your idea of "healthy is but I love this:

1008912.jpg

recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pepperoni-meatza/

But if your idea of healthy is also lower on meat I recommend using a large mushroom (portobello) as a "crust"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ877Wk2vk2Kl_tooJXWPZlabNYH2ZoBNgi5hlmzTnBjIutV5K5Yw
  • pennypuffkin
    pennypuffkin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love zucchini crust pizza! I loosely use this recipe: http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/main-courses/skinny-zucchini-pizza-crust/

So easy to change it up with different spices and goodies. Sometimes I use flavored spaghetti sauce or diced tomatoes as the sauce.

Suggestion: Eat it with a fork. It's like a pizza casserole type deal. Still super good. :)
  • sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I make pizza with " Flat Out Bread" it is an oblong flat bread that is about 90 calories and 74% fewer carbs than 2 slices of wheat bread. The carbs are 16 grams, personally we prefer these to any other low cab lower calorie bread out there. You get 6 wraps in a package, one flat bread makes a great meal, I pre bake it on the oven rack then top as desired and re bake. It takes care of my pizza cravings.

Flat Out flatbread, light original, hope this is an option for you to try.
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I thought this sounded crazy when I heard it, but it became one of my favorite easy recipes. You just take approx 1/2 cup mozerella cheese (more or less depending on how big u want it to be and also how thick) and put it directly in a small frying pan sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle the cheese with some diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, oregano and any toppings you'd like. I liked using turkey pepperoni sometimes. You cook it for about 5 minutes on medium heat and that's it! The cheese gets a nice golden brown bottom and gets a little chewy texture to it and that's your "crust". It's actually delish :-) No, it's not exactly pizza...but the basil, garlic and oregano give it a great pizza-like flavor.
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This one is a little crazy and I wouldn't do it myself but here is a link to check out this way out there pizza. This happens to be the doctor who I've been working with to lose weight. He never recommended this to me since he knows I am very picky about my food.

http://drseltzerweightloss.com/cooking-crickets-abc-news/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

First, pizza isn't unhealthy.

Second, if it isn't on bread, it's not pizza.

What specifically are you trying to accomplish?
    here we go!
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I posted this recipe some time back and it got some quite good feedback.. Maybe it's something to look at?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1278284-500-kcal-pizza-high-protein-healthy-option?page=1

I make them all the time!