How long did it take you to lose a stone /14lbs?

Options
I'm just interested to see how long it took people to lose that first stone and what you did to get there? E.g. just diet / just exercise / a combination of both ?

I'm really keen to see this first stone go, to get me to the weight I thought I was before I stepped on the scales for the first time in months! I'm eating with a calorie deficit of 500 a day and trying to exercise for an hour every day? I'm only doing cross trainer however and feel like I should be pushing myself harder.

What are your success stories I'd love to hear :)

Replies

• MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just hit 14 pounds down this morning (I think--I didn't weigh myself for most of the first week I was on here so I don't know my starting weight), and this is the end of my first month on MFP. However, I've got a LOT to lose, and the first few pounds always come off the easiest.

ETA: I've been eating around 1300 calories a day of pretty much whatever I want (though I've been naturally gravitating towards water and vegetables over soda and fries) and eating back a portion of my exercise calories, but my loss has slowed a LOT recently so I'm going to try zig-zagging my intake and changing up my workouts and seeing if that has any effect.
  • annabellemayh
    annabellemayh Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just hit 14 pounds down this morning (I think--I didn't weigh myself for most of the first week I was on here so I don't know my starting weight), and this is the end of my first month on MFP. However, I've got a LOT to lose, and the first few pounds always come off the easiest.

ETA: I've been eating around 1300 calories a day of pretty much whatever I want (though I've been naturally gravitating towards water and vegetables over soda and fries) and eating back a portion of my exercise calories, but my loss has slowed a LOT recently so I'm going to try zig-zagging my intake and changing up my workouts and seeing if that has any effect.

Wow, well done! That's great news, a month sounds pretty healthy to me. I haven't weighed myself and this is my first week, I don't want to de-motivate myself if I haven't lost anything! Good plan, I've heard sticking to the same routine can create a plateu, and at the moment I'm becoming a bit too comfortable with my workout routine!

Well done again!!
  • katieintheattic
    katieintheattic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It took me 3.5 months, so don't get too excited!

I've had pretty consistent losses with a fixed exercise routine, too. The only thing I've changed over the last six months is how much and what I eat. I've made small changes and although it was frustrating at the start (I started with a bit of a plateau, so that wasn't fun!) it soon built up to a pretty cool number.
  • annabellemayh
    annabellemayh Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It took me 3.5 months, so don't get too excited!

I've had pretty consistent losses with a fixed exercise routine, too. The only thing I've changed over the last six months is how much and what I eat. I've made small changes and although it was frustrating at the start (I started with a bit of a plateau, so that wasn't fun!) it soon built up to a pretty cool number.

That's great well done :) 3.5 months does sound longer to me, but all bodies are different. I'm guessing it'll takeme maybe somewhere in between, 2 months maybe? As long as the weights coming off healthily that's good for me :) Well done for breaking through those first months though must've been tough!

I've heard you lose weight quicker the more you have to lose? Would you agree? I'm not so sure. The NHS website says I should lose 2 stone to be in a healthy weight range so if that's true it'll probably take me a while.
  • kb2699
    kb2699 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, I lost a stone in about 6/7 weeks. I'm 5 ft 6 in and weighed 13st 9lb when I started in mid-Jan. I was doing 1200 calories for the first 10-12lbs then bumped up to 1420 which is much easier to live with :wink:

Feel free to add me if you'd like some support along the way x
  • katieintheattic
    katieintheattic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can safely lose a lot more a lot faster when you're heavier.

I'm basically where you are now, with a bit more than two stone to lose. So far it hasn't slowed down but I'm prepared for the next stage to take longer.

1.75lb a week would be a lot if you don't have far to go, though not impossible. The main thing would be to make it enjoyable so you don't get discouraged if it ends up taking longer than you want. Log everything, and just a thought: if you lost 1lb a week you'd be a stone lighter by July :)
  • Suzynana72
    Suzynana72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm new to this, I started a few days ago but so far have lost nothing :( My calorie allowance is 1200 a day and I have been walking 5km every day which burns 220 calories so does this mean that I then have 1420 calories at my disposal to lose weight or will this maintain my weight? In order to lose should I consume only the 1200 calories. I'm going on holiday at the end of the month and would love to lose 10 pounds by then. Please help :)
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 months (5'9" starting at 90kg), the next stone is taking a lot longer though!.

As has been said if you're not far off your goal to start with it will take longer unfortunately..
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I started off doing Insanity, I lost 18lb over the 6 weeks. I was eating healthily but not logging or counting calories. Unfortunately it hasn't come off as quickly since!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think you should try and aim for a healthy 2lbs loss a week - The slower the better to be honest.

If you lose a lot quickly, it could come back on quickly - You don't want this!!!

With a healthy diet & a good exercise plan, your be able to do it.

Try and get lots of veggies, fruit, protein & good fats in your diet.

You also want to be full & not starving over this weight loss period. Its all about doing what is right & best for YOU.

Good luck!!!! x
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm new to this, I started a few days ago but so far have lost nothing :( My calorie allowance is 1200 a day and I have been walking 5km every day which burns 220 calories so does this mean that I then have 1420 calories at my disposal to lose weight or will this maintain my weight? In order to lose should I consume only the 1200 calories. I'm going on holiday at the end of the month and would love to lose 10 pounds by then. Please help :)

hi. welcome to the forum.

at the top of this page to the left of the. green reply button is the. search function.

input. " eating back exercise calories". and you will get loads of info.
    the answer is individual to your height weight age goals etc.

i didnt eat back exrcise cals in month 1. lost 1 stone.
    i ate back 25% of exercise cals in month 2. and lost another 1 stone. ie 14 llbs.
    on target to do same in month 3.
    hope this helps.
  • suzana006
    suzana006 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there

It took me about 7 weeks. I didn't exercise. It was strictly my diet. I limit my calories to 1300-1350. I eat anything as long as it's within my calories. I don't eat the low fat version of anything, I believe the full fat foods keep you satisfied and fuller for longer. I don't snack. I eat 3 meals...breakfast lunch and dinner. When you don't snack I find my hunger decreases.

Good Luck with it all!!
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think you should try and aim for a healthy 2lbs loss a week - The slower the better to be honest.

If you lose a lot quickly, it could come back on quickly - You don't want this!!!

With a healthy diet & a good exercise plan, your be able to do it.

Try and get lots of veggies, fruit, protein & good fats in your diet.

You also want to be full & not starving over this weight loss period. Its all about doing what is right & best for YOU.

Good luck!!!! x

See that really scared me. But from personal experience, the weight really hasn't piled back on.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it the slow way as I don't have a large amount of weight to lose (under 2 stone). I lost a stone in about 26 weeks - almost 1/2 lb a week. I'm still eating the same foods I used to, though more protein and whole foods, but smaller portions. I'm now moving up in my calories and slowing down my weight loss, but that's okay as I want this for life - a long slow journey versus a quick shot. I've tried the fast route and gained it back quickly as well. I've now held my weight off, easily, including going on holiday and not worrying about calories.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

MFP gives you a deficit w/o the exercise calories. And please do check to see if that is enough - did you put yourself as sedentary? Unless you NEVER do anything like cleaning or cooking or walking around, you should put yourself at at least lightly active & not sedentary. And then eat back 1/2 the exercise calories.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    7 weeks to lose the first stone. 10 weeks a piece to lose the next 3 and 18 to lose the last full stone. It's going a lot, lot slower now. *sigh*
  • natmarie114
    natmarie114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    kb2699 wrote: »
    Hi, I lost a stone in about 6/7 weeks. I'm 5 ft 6 in and weighed 13st 9lb when I started in mid-Jan. I was doing 1200 calories for the first 10-12lbs then bumped up to 1420 which is much easier to live with :wink:

Feel free to add me if you'd like some support along the way x

• natmarie114
    natmarie114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thats great!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Depends on starting weight. From jus over the lone to obese? Just shy of 2 months. The last 14? 4-4.5 months.
  • Harleygram55
    Harleygram55 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Took me about a month a & a half. I swim an hour,(not hard swimming, but go out in the deep end and tread water), 3-5 days a week. I have knee surgery coming up, but they won't schedule it until my BMI is below 40. I've reached that, but I plan on continuing my healthy eating. I keep it under 1200 calories a day, eating mostly keto. Also, I do not eat my exercise calories...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!