starvation mode!!

Options
Hello Everyone!!
I became a member of this site recently and this is my first post.
A very big HELLO to all of you.
Like you all,I am trying to change my lifestyle and trying to become healthier.As per Myfitnesspal I should be eating 1200 calories per day to achieve my weight loss goal.I am trying for the same,however I am falling short on the calorie consumption by 200-300 calories.It warns me that body might go into starvation mode and make weight loss tougher.
I would like to know if anyone else is facing the same issue and what could be the possible solution.Also is it okay to ignore this warning and stick to the current diet?I am not starving myself but just eating better.
Anyways,hope to hear from you all soon!!
Be healthy!!

Replies

• JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Try adding a protein bar to add calories without adding a whole meal..
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    That was happening to me! So I bought a bag of almonds and if my calories are low i have 1/3 cup of almonds. High in calories and amazing for you!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It's not that you are starving, but it may slow your metabolism, making it more difficult to lose the weight. Try exercising less, or fitting in a snack or two each day. Something small, but calorie dense.
  • ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    YES!!!! This is totally me like, almost EVERY DAY!!!!!

I'm trying to re-train my brain (and my stomach), I guess to eat only when I'm hungry. So, I've successfully mastered that and I'm choosing all healthy things like 95% of the time. The thing is, I hardly break 1000 calories a day but I swear I'm full. In fact, tonight, I JUST grabbed a low-fat string cheese thingie just because I apparently didn't have enough.

I don't have an answer, though. I know every BODY is different. I don't know if it has something to do w/ how much weight you have to lose - I'm at 228lbs. and I'd like to at least get to 180 (or below, I'll take it). Perhaps my body is telling me that I really don't need all that food anyway?

I do have to admit, the idea behind eating more, even when you are no longer hungry, seems really counterproductive to me. :~/
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome to MFP! =)

That's a tricky question, and one that has often started pretty heated debates on this website lol. From what I've seen with personal experience, it reaaaaallly varies from person to person. For example, if you have a lot of weight to lose (100lbs+) you'll probably be okay with the amount your consuming for now. However, please, please, please, if you're body starts to tell you it needs more (late night peanut butter cravings anyone?) LISTEN to it. If you have substantially less to lose, You might want to consider Jenae's suggestion. Nuts and avocados are also awesome ways to sneak in a few extra calories, or you could even use those extras to reward yourself with a small treat once in awhile. If you don't have much to lose (I'd guess 20lbs or less) you really need to be eating those calories. You're body doesn't have the same fat stores to pull from, and your metabolism will slow down accordingly.

I'm no expert, but for now I wouldn't panic. I have days, sometimes even weeks like that. Just make sure you're listening to your body. If you feel great with the way you're eating now, it's probably fine, at least for now. If you still feel this way in a week or two I'd try upping the calories a bit to reach that 1200 mark, and just see how you feel.

Hope this helps =)
  • socialite51
    Options
    Hi ~ I'm new to this site as well. Since joining I swear I've eating more food than I've ever eaten before in my ENTIRE life. I feel very full and I'm drinking a lot more water. I'm thinking maybe my calculations are off a bit. I have to say, I am eating more healthier, but I can't eat like this site is suggesting.
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it is that your body is basically stupid. If you aren't giving it enough fuel it thinks there isn't enough so it starts storing food for the "long winter" that it thinks is coming up. This causes you to gain weight even though you aren't eating very much. From what I have been told it is best to eat 5 small meals through out the day. This is supposed to help keep your metabolism up at all times. So, that's what I know about it... Hope it helps!
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have the same problem. I find higher calorie snacks. It's not the amount of food you eat it's the calorie content. I have a hard time with the concept of eating more to lose weight too but it works. Your body will store fat if it thinks it's starving. Today was the first day I was within 72 calories of my 1200. The almonds do help. I get that message every day!
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear feedback on that as well. I am having trouble since I started excercising to reach my calorie goal for the day. Today I consumed 706 calories and had burned 476 from excercise. I start with 1200. It said my net calories were in the 230s. But I couldn't imagine eating anymore today. I have 31 pounds to lose, is this going to hurt my weight loss?
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I just made a post almost exactly the same as this about half an hour ago. I find myself coming in under my calorie goal.

This is my post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/160414-under-calorie-goal

A good suggestion I got was drinking a glass of milk to fill the calories, if you're around 100 needed. Or have a small snack 3-4 hours before you go to sleep.
  • carguy42503
    carguy42503 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    well I have 2 pieces of advice for you:

1) hitting an exact calorie target is very difficult. if your actual goal is 1200, try giving yourself a range to shoot for... say 1100 to 1300. this will make it a lot easier for you to work in a variety of foods and give you some flexibility. it will also just make food planning a lot easier on yourself and it will generally work out to an average of 1200 a day.

2) if you are not getting close to 1200 a day, you are probably not eating often enough. if you are not eating something at least 5-6 times a day, then you need to add in some snacks. the best way to get your metabolism burning calories like you want it to is to constantly be giving it something to burn. I know it sounds a little counter intuitive but it really does work... and if you are not getting close to your 1200 calorie target, you certainly have some room to fit some snacks in your regimen.

I hope this helps...
    David
  • shortylynn264
    shortylynn264 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hope you figure it out, I don,t have a clue, and I misunderstood the question.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem except I am falling short 300 to 500 calories. A friend advised me to fill it with fresh fruits. He said that it helps bring up your calorie intake in a healthy way. I am also trying to eat six times a day (not gigantic meals) instead of once with heavy midnight snacking. He said that this will allow me to spread out my calories and not have them sitting in my stomach when i go to bed. Hope this helps and if you find out other ways plz let me know
  • msouran
    msouran Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for the wonderful advices!Will definitely be making few changes!!
    Also the site advised me to do 90 minutes of workout every week and burn 540 calories.Should I be sticking to that?
    It seems less to me.
    Do advice!
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    I think you should use it as just a guide. I try to stay between 800-1000 calories per day because I feel like if I ate 1200 calories per day and did not work out every day, I would not lose as much as I want or need.