Husbands! Need your advice!

Options
My very amazing husband is currently struggling with loosing weight. He is eating right and working out. But the scale isn't changing. *I* see the changes! It has only been a month, but he is getting frustrated. I hate seeing him like this.

I personally feel he isn't eating enough calories! He thinks he needs to cut them more!!! he is a foot taller than me and eating only about 300 cals more than me a day!

My question for you guys:

Would you feel offended if your lovely wife bought you a Bodymedia band or something similar? Something the would more accurately calculate his heart rate and his calories burned in a day? ( or a similar product )

Would you be upset that your wife took it upon herself to do this?

Replies

• velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I would love the support.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I don't get offended easily, so offended no. But I would talk with him to see if he wants one or would use one.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    My very amazing husband is currently struggling with loosing weight. He is eating right and working out. But the scale isn't changing. *I* see the changes! It has only been a month, but he is getting frustrated. I hate seeing him like this.

I personally feel he isn't eating enough calories! He thinks he needs to cut them more!!! he is a foot taller than me and eating only about 300 cals more than me a day!

Would you feel offended if your lovely wife bought you a Bodymedia band or something similar? Something the would more accurately calculate his heart rate and his calories burned in a day? ( or a similar product )

Only you can predict how your husband will react. We cannot help you with this.

MY husband probably wouldn't like it, and may be slightly offended. I just know this based on his personality. He knows I would love it if he bought it for me. I love all things fitness. It's a hobby of mine. He doesn't share my passion for fitness though. He lifts,works out and is in great shape, but doesn't share my level of enthusiasm.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If it were me? No, I would love it as I love fitness gadgets. Only you can know how your husband will react though.

That said I think a better present may be a digital food scale...
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options

^^^ This. Would I be offended if my SO bought me one? No, I wouldn't. But I also wouldn't use it. I have my goals and my methods that work for me. Ask him if he wants it and/or would use it before you spend the money.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I currently work with as nutritionist. I am in the process of "resetting my metabolism" because I was eating so few calories. My last wellness coach had me eating 1800-2000 cals a day. it almost killed me! But I figuredf they new what they were doing. I lost weight fast but lost a lot of muscle too. I am now at 3200/a day but both my trainers and nutritionist tell me that I will probably have to increase my caloric intake some more. I am 6'5" currently 330# workout Strength/weights 3-4 tx a week. I feel a lot better and at some point my body will level off and then we will start to lose weight. Make sure your husband is eating enough before he tries to lose weight. Satisfy his body needs first. Friend me if you like
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    If it were me? No, I would love it as I love fitness gadgets. Only you can know how your husband will react though.

we have a good scale. I prep all the food. He logs everything he eats here. he just doesn't agree that he uses up as many calories as the apps say or that I tell him he is :/

He is usually a really techie gadgety guy. he used to have the nike + fuelband.. but that doesn't hep me, we know we move lol.
  • majigurl
    Options
    ok!
    I just txted him giving the specs and why it's different than the fuel band. I just want him to not feel so beat up over getting healthy. Which is our main goal. I'm really worried he isn't eating enough :(
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

While an activity tracker is fun, it ain't gonna do any good if we don't know what exactly is going on with him, such as age/height/weight, method(s) of calculating intake/burns, etc. On the surface it sounds like he's absolutely correct in that he needs to cut calories because it appears he's eating more than he thinks. Activity tracker is a waste of money if he's doing everything else "wrong."
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'd thank her.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Well, it has only been a month. So tell him not to get discouraged yet. Finding the right calorie level can be a bit of trial and error. Plus, if he is new to working out, then the body tends to hold on to extra fluid to help the muscles repair, which can mask an initial loss.

What changes are you seeing in him? Is he losing inches round his waist, for example? How heavy is he now, and how much less is he eating now than before?

The *best* thing he could probably do is get an account here and track his intake/burns. You say he is only eating about 300 more than you, but do you *know* that this is really true? Does he snack at work? Are you just eyeballing portion sizes? If he is really in a calorie deficit, then the weight should start to come off.

That said - gadgets are always good (IMHO)! If he is at all a techie/geeky kind of guy, he would probably like it. Of course, if he still uses a flip phone and is happy with it, he may not appreciate such toys.
  • majigurl
    Options

While an activity tracker is fun, it ain't gonna do any good if we don't know what exactly is going on with him, such as age/height/weight, method(s) of calculating intake/burns, etc. On the surface it sounds like he's absolutely correct in that he needs to cut calories because it appears he's eating more than he thinks. Activity tracker is a waste of money if he's doing everything else "wrong."

He's calculates all his calories. it's about 1300-1500 a day ( some days less ) for a man of 5'11" 200 lbs.

anyone can see that is WAY TOO LITTLE !! he is working out about 4-5 times a week. He is eating SUPER clean. I make all the meals. He just isn't eating enough because he just wants to loose weight so badly! He doesn't believe me ( or the tools on here ) that he is using up WAY more calories. He thinks his body is sooo different.

I'm hoping a device like this, that will more accurately show him what he is actually using up in a day, and to subtract 300-500 cals from that, will benefit him.

Or am I way off in my thinking?
  • ktprestridge
    Options
    My husband has cut out soda and has lost 4 inches around his waist without the scale changing. I think the bodymedia band is a great idea IF it is sensible for your current budget and if you are able to make somewhat large purchases without consulting the other. Otherwise I would suggest taking measurements so that he can see the inches coming off even if the scale isn't moving.
  • majigurl
    Options

He's calculates all his calories. it's about 1300-1500 a day ( some days less ) for a man of 5'11" 200 lbs.

anyone can see that is WAY TOO LITTLE !! he is working out about 4-5 times a week. He is eating SUPER clean. I make all the meals. He just isn't eating enough because he just wants to loose weight so badly! He doesn't believe me ( or the tools on here ) that he is using up WAY more calories. He thinks his body is sooo different.

I'm hoping a device like this, that will more accurately show him what he is actually using up in a day, and to subtract 300-500 cals from that, will benefit him.

Or am I way off in my thinking?

oh.. and there is no cheating on his diet where I wouldn't know about. No foods I don't know about because i've been home from work for 5 weeks with him on holidays (and he works from home).
    He is getting almost scared of food :/
  • Lumpy52403
    Lumpy52403 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would not be offended at all. That would tell me that she is interested in my well-being.

As men, we tend to be very results-oriented. If something isn't working, we look for another approach, sometimes to the point of not giving the current approach enough time to yield results.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

we have a good scale. I prep all the food. He logs everything he eats here. he just doesn't agree that he uses up as many calories as the apps say or that I tell him he is :/

He is usually a really techie gadgety guy. he used to have the nike + fuelband.. but that doesn't hep me, we know we move lol.

He is probabaly right. If you are logging all your calorie burns based upon the mfp diary, they are all pretty much generous in the calorie dpeartment. My wife is using my heart rate monitor (with her settings) when she does her T25 and Piyo workouts to get a more accurate burn estimate. I use my garmin watch with my settings to get more accurate calorie burns rather than trusting the diary entries on mfp alone.

If he is a gadget guy then he *should* appreciate the thought behind it.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    If he's eating too few calories, he will be losing weight. If he's not losing, it's because he's not burning more than he's consuming. Eating more won't make him lose more weight...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

MY husband probably wouldn't like it, and may be slightly offended. I just know this based on his personality. He knows I would love it if he bought it for me. I love all things fitness. It's a hobby of mine. He doesn't share my passion for fitness though. He lifts,works out and is in great shape, but doesn't share my level of enthusiasm.

so on point.

Same for mine- (but he's not actively trying to do anything RAGE RAGE RAGE) but he would think I'm nagging him. Even though I never bring it up. It's a point of contention at this point for us- so if I bought him something like that- it would NOT be well received.
  • majigurl
    Options
    My husband has cut out soda and has lost 4 inches around his waist without the scale changing. I think the bodymedia band is a great idea IF it is sensible for your current budget and if you are able to make somewhat large purchases without consulting the other. Otherwise I would suggest taking measurements so that he can see the inches coming off even if the scale isn't moving.

YES! I have noticed his body changing some. he cut out soda also! and so many other bad foods. we did that over the course of 3 months.

I think I will also start taking his measurements! that's a fab idea! I keep trying to tell him the scale isn't important! he is working out and muscle is heavier than fat! he might not be loosing because he is replacing with muscle!

thank you!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Sounds like you guys are doing the right things but I think it will be a waste of money however.

You appear to want to convince him to eat more based on a more individualised reading that presumably a lifestyle tracker will give over and above the generic recommendations of MFP. I personally don't think that will convince him because in reality they are all just "ballpark" figures and if you guys have a general idea of your activity levels you are probably have a reasonable estimate to work off anyway. He sounds quite savvy and I expect he understands that.

In all honesty I think just your undivided support may be a better gift ;)