Do people that take fighting lessons, fight more?

Options

Replies

• urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    UFC originated with the fight club approach

tsk tsk. You have already forgotten the first rule!

:laugh: Oh crap! You're right! I relinquish my membership.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    No, I don't think it does. I used to be an pretty darn good amateur boxer in Mexico back in the day (way back ;-) and practice Brazilian martial arts nowadays. Although I know I could kick some serious a**, I keep that to myself. There's think kind of 'confidence' that comes with keeping it to yourself. However, I have, and will again, use force to defend myself. I'm a chick though, so it could be different?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No, not necessarily. My gym happens to offer Krav Maga classes which I started taking and I think the benefits are twofold: great workouts as well as offering practical ways to defend oneself. Watching the news, there seems to be no shortage of whackjobs out there. While I'm not looking for a fight, I will fully defend myself if that person is an active a threat to me.

The problem with Krav Maga is that it can be so devastating that you might choose not to use it rather than cause permanent damage to an attacker whose goal is fairly trivial (ie: a wallet with $20 in it, an iPhone that can be turned off remotely...).

I think that's a little bit of projection. Krav Maga is efficient, and really, there is a simple matter of escalation of force that has to be circumvented. If someone is in a position to defend themselves, they'll use the most efficient method available, Krav Maga is that, with the practical world in mind. I think anyone who is trained would happily just let that wallet or iphone go, they're just things, you're not going to scuffle over that.

As an aside, I watched a man become a permanent vegetable from a poorly done shihonage throw during aikido practice. Just because one or two instructors will talk about philosophy does not mean any martial art is inherently kinder than another. They are all based on a singular concept of preservation of self. Aikido, done correctly is actually pretty damn devastating, along with judo and jujitsu. Their thin veneer of sport makes them a little more socially acceptable. Also, I find it interesting that you called out MMA as "evil" but not jujitsu, which is a core discipline in the MMA world.

Of course, none of this means anything, it's simple affectations of philosophy applied to the science of causing harm efficiently. :)
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    No that's just silly. I got my black belt a few years ago. Doesn't make me want to 'fight more'. Spar yes, for points, I'm competitive. My 14yr old daughter is a 2nd degree black on her way to a 3rd. She loves sparring and competition. Hates fighting.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I think there's a difference in approach or attitude between MMA and traditional jiu-jitsu.

My perception is that being "badass" is a "good" thing in MMA, whereas in traditional arts it's sort of shameful.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think there's a difference in approach or attitude between MMA and traditional jiu-jitsu.

My perception is that being "badass" is a "good" thing in MMA, whereas in traditional arts it's sort of shameful.

Hmm, interesting. Is this something you see often with MMA folks?

I know a few competitive fighters, I've never seen this type of behavior exhibited except for in one school in Boston. It was very Cobra Kai, but that was Boston... it fits the people.

Or is this an assumption based on tv and advertising?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    People who get into fights are children who feel that they have to prove something to themselves or to other people.

My father is a martial arts instructor so I grew up sparring constantly. I have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else, so I never, ever get into fights. Learning to fight also educates you in another important way: I know that what looks like a minor brawl could end with someone getting seriously, seriously injured. I don't want to hurt anyone that way, and I don't want to get hurt that way.

Learning to fight teaches you that fighting is pointless.
    Exactly this. My father has been teaching karate and jiu jitsu in his own dojo for over 40 years. I've never known him get into a fight. My brother has been studying, and later teaching, karate since he was old enough to walk and, while he's been in situations that could have resulted in a fight, there wasn't one. I've never been in a fight, either, beyond sparring competitions at tournaments, and I've been studying on and off for 40 years.

Knowing how to defend yourself gives you confidence. I think that confidence is often deterrant enough to keep people from trying to take things to that level with you. Of course, some people are just plain aggressive. If you aren't, then learning a martial art is not going to make you more aggressive or likely to fight.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have always been a laid- back person, even before i took martial arts (TKD). During the first few months of taking TKD, I became much more calmer, and was more disciplined. A true martial artist (or a kickboxer, Muay Thai, or Krav Maga practitioner) will never look for a fight. They'll try and avoid one at all cost...........unless they or their family's life is in danger. Also IMO, boasting that you're a black belt in this, or a black belt in that, will just draw more attention to you, and then you will be looking for trouble for sure. That's just how i see it.
  • Thom_Kat
    Thom_Kat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My husband is heavily involved in many aspects of MMA and the answer is a resounding NO. His BJJ teammates are some of the most humble, non-confrontational people I've ever come across and they are respectful both on and off the mat. It is understood that you never set out to hurt your teammates and you do not use your skills outside of the gym with ill intent. Those who don't follow that code are most certainly in the minority. He started out training with cage fighters and they pretty much followed the same rules. They are definitely more aggressive both on and off the mat but I think that comes along with the types of personalities that follow the sport, rather than the sport "making" them more aggressive. All in all, they are a really mellow group of people who will choke you out one minute and shake your hand the next. It's all for the love of the sport and personal growth.
  • dbmata
    Options
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My husband is heavily involved in many aspects of MMA and the answer is a resounding NO. His BJJ teammates are some of the most humble, non-confrontational people I've ever come across and they are respectful both on and off the mat. It is understood that you never set out to hurt your teammates and you do not use your skills outside of the gym with ill intent. Those who don't follow that code are most certainly in the minority. He started out training with cage fighters and they pretty much followed the same rules. They are definitely more aggressive both on and off the mat but I think that comes along with the types of personalities that follow the sport, rather than the sport "making" them more aggressive. All in all, they are a really mellow group of people who will choke you out one minute and shake your hand the next. It's all for the love of the sport and personal growth.

Well said!
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options

In this case, it may just be their character or showmanship.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I would say that there is a difference between knowing how to fight and fighting. If you have a propensity for fighting, then knowing how only enhances it. If you don't have a desire to fight then knowing how will help if you have to. It's about maturity.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I've been taking heavy bag for about a year and a half now. I am one month into one on one sparring lessons.

I am no more interested in getting into a fight than I was prior to taking heavy bag.

That being said, if I need to defend myself, I now can.

And also, I actually could potentially be very good at boxing / bjj / mma stuff. It's something I am interested in exploring in a controlled environment, but not in real life situations.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    answering a question above: One of the local gyms offers MMA and some of its practitioners are jerks.

add: it is possible the jerks are new to the sport and haven't absorbed its psychological points...
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    answering a question above: One of the local gyms offers MMA and some of its practitioners are jerks.

add: it is possible the jerks are new to the sport and haven't absorbed its psychological points...

Or they were jerks already and fighting makes it worse?
  • Parafly9
    Options
    Does any workout like that actually prepare you to be in a fight? I can't imagine it really does.
  • dbmata
    Options

Or they were jerks already and fighting makes it worse?

On the nose.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Does any workout like that actually prepare you to be in a fight? I can't imagine it really does.

Hmm? What do you mean? Sparring, even though structured a pretty good primer on how to handle a fight.

Especially when you are paired with someone better than you, and they aren't exactly pulling their punches like you'd like them to. ;)