Help choosing wedding present for sleeved couple

Options
I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I hope it's okay here.

A relative we've never met but want to send a gift to is getting married. She and her groom have both had weight loss surgery. I've looked at their registries and it seems their needs run the gamut when it comes to kitchen tools. We like to give nice pots and pans and the like. Is there something specific that would be good? I'm wondering about a nice enameled cast iron grill pan but since none of us (the family members going in on the gift) have had surgery we don't know.

We want to spend about $100. Ideas?

And advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Kitchen scale??
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Why would whether they have had surgery affect what you would give them as a wedding gift?
    They still need kitchen tools, they still cook, they still eat - just smaller quantities.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Why would whether they have had surgery affect what you would give them as a wedding gift?
    They still need kitchen tools, they still cook, they still eat - just smaller quantities.

so much of this. What!?

I thought you meant they had tons of tattoos, on first reading. haha
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Good question lol.....and I'll be chiming in too.....since me and my fiance will be tieing the knot May 9th lol.....I have no idea what to put on my registry either! haha.

Everyone tells me to put sheets, towels, blankets, "nice quality" kitchen utensils (think Oneida, Better Homes and Gardens, etc....type stuff.....rather than cheaper stuff) - but then on the other hand I don't want to "scare away" anyone with the price tags lol......

If they have a gift registry set up though, I'd definitely shop from the registry.....so they don't get duplicates......

If they've gotten weight loss surgery though, hopefully they are still living a healthy lifestyle.....and in that case, I would say, even a nice quality digital kitchen scale is a good gift......I love my Taylor brand digital scale.....I use it every day......every meal gets weighed out....lol.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    lol @ seltzermint...... that's what I thought too!!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the tattoo thing...LOL

I'm a HUGE fan of (and I know it's not kitchen) but that crocheted thing with thier last name and "established" wedding date on it.

I'm not married but I'd like one, I want it to have my divorce date on it.....because truly I "established" our house on that day!!! LOL.

Sorry that's probaby not of any help.

Sharp knives are always good too. You can't have too many of those.
  • jkramsey42
    jkramsey42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sleever here! :)

Any sort of kitchen stuff is good-- knives, pots and pans, dinnerware, whatever. I usually eat on smaller plates, since dinner for me is something like one chicken tender and a couple of green beans, so dessert plates would be great. I use my blender a lot for protein smoothies, so a blender or nice food processor would be especially helpful.

Bottom line: I'm sure they've taken sleeves into account when they made their registry, so trust them! They know what they cook and how the eat! :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The entire point of a registry is to list the things you want, and they wouldn't have put something on there if they didn't have a use for it. Just buy something and call it day, they're not going to be pondering whether there is a deeper meaning behind the Henkels knife set.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Chiming in with another vote to buy right off the registry if it's there. They likely put a lot of thought into creating it, so anything on that list should be a good pick.

If the sleeve thing really makes you nervous, think non-kitchen with your gift. Towels, sheets, home decor, yard tools, etc. if they have those things listed.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What about spices? There is a spice store (Penzey's) by me and they make up gift sets. (You can order online too)

And I too join the ranks of thinking the "sleeved couple" was in reference to tattoos
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Give from the registry if they have one. If not the enamel cast iron is a nice gift. Good kitchen tools are so important if you spend time prepping meals. Quality can last a lifetime. My cookware is 35 years old...still going strong.

Good knives, butcher blocks, linens, processors, hand blenders etc make cooking a pleasure.

BTW...ask for quality things on your registery. Folks want to give nice things. Price doesn't always scare people away. Choose things in a wide price range.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

yep this
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the time my ex MIL sought out "autistic" toys for my nephew.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Wow...you are very kind to give gifts when you have never even met the people.

Purchasing off their register seems the best and safest approach. While a nice grill may be a great gift, if it's not on their register they may have one or not want one. If you can't find something on the register that sparks your interest - a gift card can be a good gift (thinking target, , walmart, places where almost everyone shops).
  • Crysty2010
    Crysty2010 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the time my ex MIL sought out "autistic" toys for my nephew.

Yep! :noway:
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    a gift card to bed,bath and beyond or a similar store like Tuesday morning.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Wow you are kind. If I send you an invitation to my wedding will you get me a gift too? ;-)
    okay joking aside, buy from the registry list and ditto on not worrying about getting kitchen tools simply because they have sleeves. As another MFPer said they still need to eat. Toodles
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    How about a cheque for $100?

Just to add... if I were getting married, I would want something off the registry or just money to buy it myself (honestly would prefer the money since after the wedding date, many places give the couple a discount on the unbought items, meaning the money would go further). I would have registered for certain things for a reason and - while the thought of coming up with a unique idea is nice - it's not practical or as useful to get something you didn't ask for... why? Because if I didn't ask for it through the registry, I probably didn't need it in the first place. If the couple hadn't registered at all, then this is a great thought to get them something for the kitchen! But you know what they want, so why risk getting them something they won't appreciate as much?
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options

This. :) I have never had weight-loss surgery (and won't), but I'm pretty sure people who have had weight-loss surgery cook with the same cookware as those who haven't.

Usually when buying wedding presents I look at the registry, but I don't buy off the registry. I look for things that are related to things on the registry....or things that would partner up nicely with things on the registry. That way...at least the chances of duplicate gifts are lessened, and if they *don't* get the thing on their registry, my gift might "assist" them in wanting to just buy the "thing".

IE: a friend of mine wanted a nut grinder, and put it on her wedding registry. She and her groom ended up with four of them. Instead of buying that, I bought them a bag of high-quality mixed nuts, and it was really well-received (they loved them). I wasn't trying to be cheap (the nuts were actually more expensive than the grinder).

Another friend wanted a bunch of cookware (pots and pans mainly) and I couldn't afford any of that at the time. Instead, I crocheted a bunch of handle-holders and potholders in neutral colors (to go with the cookware she wanted)...those were a hit, too.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Pick some things off of the registry that add up to the amount that you want to spend or send them a gift card for the store they are registered at so they can get the things that are left after their wedding.