Calorie Counting

Options
So, I was thinking the other day as I was counting calories that if someone is very active (like me I work out everyday. I run daily, and cross-train every other day), calorie counting is pointless. Now, I am not saying that calorie counting is pointless in general because there are people who are trying to lose or gain healthy weight and calorie counting is required. Also, how accurate are the calories we eat? How accurate are the calories we burn? We rely on mostly electronic devices to determine these numbers for us, and we are leaving behind simplicity. By simplicity, I mean why cant we rely on ourselves instead of electronics? My motto is the following: As long as you are exercising and eating quality foods and moderate servings, you can have the best body you've ever had. I want to hear every one's opinion please. Thank you. Live happy and healthy.

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you eat a well rounded diet, getting your macro and micro nutrients and have the body composition you desire then why change anything?

For me personally, calorie counting helps me achieve my goals for weight loss and allows me to be flexible with my diet. I could eat a well rounded diet everyday but that's not my life style, calorie counting keeps me accountable.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    So, I was thinking the other day as I was counting calories that if someone is very active (like me I work out everyday. I run daily, and cross-train every other day), calorie counting is pointless. Now, I am not saying that calorie counting is pointless in general because there are people who are trying to lose or gain healthy weight and calorie counting is required. Also, how accurate are the calories we eat? How accurate are the calories we burn? We rely on mostly electronic devices to determine these numbers for us, and we are leaving behind simplicity. By simplicity, I mean why cant we rely on ourselves instead of electronics? My motto is the following: As long as you are exercising and eating quality foods and moderate servings, you can have the best body you've ever had. I want to hear every one's opinion please. Thank you. Live happy and healthy.
    So creating a deficit through exercise and eating a smaller portions = less calories in.

It's all about them calories in vs. calories out - however you want to call it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If it works for you - great! Don't change a thing.

My meter for relying on myself instead (of logging foods and the use electronics) is broken. I have lost weight and gained it back (several times)....this makes me a member of the majority.

Logging and calorie counting is useful for most (IMO). For the record, I've had a weight problem for 80% of my life. I can't really remember being naturally thin. This may be why my meter doesn't work.
  • romanl4
    Options
    That is my point, if you are trying to loose eight then I agree on calorie counting and knowing what your macros and setting a specific goal. However, in my case, like I said, I run daily and I am on weight training plan which on the days I have weight train I do it twice a day, and I also do HIIT workouts after my runs in the morning. That is to much activity to track when I am busy with school, and work. That is why I said that if you are as active then counting calories is pointless don't you think? Of course, I feed myself nutritious foods and avoid processed food as much as I can, and it is hard to track and find foods that I eat because most of what I eat is home made and either there is no search found of the foods I eat and I have no time to search each ingredient I use to make my meals. By the way congrats on your 15lb weight loss keep it up.
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Good luck with this!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'll honestly never stop calorie counting. People act like it's this huge burden. I eat 2 meals a day, which means that 2 times a day for about 3 minutes each time I enter food and get my macros straight. It's not that hard. Without calorie counting your nutrition will never be as on point as it will be if you just wing it. I want to make sure I get enough protein, enough fat, enough vitamins and minerals and I'm going to keep calorie counting to make sure I do. As I mentioned I don't see it as this huge burden that everybody does. I do it on my phone, it's quick and easy
  • romanl4
    Options
    I'll honestly never stop calorie counting. People act like it's this huge burden. I eat 2 meals a day, which means that 2 times a day for about 3 minutes each time I enter food and get my macros straight. It's not that hard. Without calorie counting your nutrition will never be as on point as it will be if you just wing it. I want to make sure I get enough protein, enough fat, enough vitamins and minerals and I'm going to keep calorie counting to make sure I do. As I mentioned I don't see it as this huge burden that everybody does. I do it on my phone, it's quick and easy
  • romanl4
    Options
    Wait why are you eating 2 meals a day only that's like starving yourself unless you eat huge portions
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The utility of calorie counting doesn't change as activity increases nor does it change when you eat at caloric maintenance. In that regard I disagree with your points.

I do think there are valid reasons to not track intake, and if you can meet your goals without tracking then more power to you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Wait why are you eating 2 meals a day only that's like starving yourself unless you eat huge portions

He likely eats huge meals. And I don't mean to answer for him but as to why: personal preference and satiety.

Big meals are very filling.
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    I am aware that my calorie counts may not be that accurate. I do measure my food as far as quantity (like a cup of this, a tbsp of that, ect.) but I do not weigh my food. I use the deck of cards rule. I use mfp as a cut off point. After I reach my calories for the day, I know that if I eat anything else, my numbers will turn red. This gives me a cut off point of eating. Even though the calories may not be correct, I still have a stopping point. It's kind of like a game to me, and I win when I'm in the green (sounds like golf...ha ha). The main reason I get fat is because of bad habits, not necessarily bad foods. I will find myself 10-15 pounds heavier if I graze throughout the day. I know that it is very popular to eat 5-6 times a day all these tiny protein based snacks, but for me, that's Pandora's box. I have to stick to three meals a day, no snacking in-between. MFP helps me keep track of this too. I don't have a diary category for "snacks" so I don't have a way to log anything but breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    Of course, I feed myself nutritious foods and avoid processed food as much as I can, and it is hard to track and find foods that I eat because most of what I eat is home made and either there is no search found of the foods I eat and I have no time to search each ingredient I use to make my meals. By the way congrats on your 15lb weight loss keep it up.

You should try the recipe feature. I use it all the time because I'm always cooking.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

He likely eats huge meals. And I don't mean to answer for him but as to why: personal preference and satiety.

Big meals are very filling.

Yup, hit the nail on the head. I eat lunch and dinner every day. My meals range from 600 - 1400 calories each. Sometimes I'll have two 1000 calorie meals, sometimes I'll have a big 1400 calorie meal and a smaller 600 calorie meal. Doesn't matter how big or small your meals are or how many times a day you eat as long as you hit your calorie, macro, micro, and fiber goals by the end of the day.