Advice needed!!!

Options
I need some advice. I have this innermost desire to be a super fit athlete - to be able to run, play sports, etc. I want it SO badly! But there seems to be some wall between that desire and my actions. On my drive home from work every day, I tell myself I'm going straight to the gym. Then I get home, and I decide to relax for a minute. Then the husband wants dinner. Then the DVR is full of recorded shows, so we watch them. Before I know it, it's 10:00 pm and time to get ready for bed. So what do I do to break down that barrier between wanting to work out and actually doing it? There has to be some trick, something I can do. Is there something you do? HELP!

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Pack your gym clothes and go straight to the gym!!!!

I live close to my gym and I actually go home to change then I'm out the door. If I sit or stay too long then I lose any motivation to go.

You can do this!
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello there :) My advice is to work out TOGETHER! You'll have to create a new routine where you are not going home and watching TV! TV is so addicting and sucks you right in, especially how nice it is after a long day to sit on the couch.

So what you're gonna have to do is "schedule" the days you are going to work out and don't even start watching TV. Watch TV at the gym if you can, that's what I do. If your husband isn't into it then go without him. Once he see's you changing your habits, and see your success he will probably start to follow along and it'll make it that much easier on you. Good luck!
  • YayMe17
    YayMe17 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't go home- Take your gym stuff with you to work. Instead of going home go straight to the gym. Find a buddy. Someone that will motivate you & keep you accountable. What about your hubby?
    Your goal of being a super fit athlete is very inspiring. Go for it!
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try planning ahead by packing your gym bag and going right to the gym after work. It will actually give you more energy for the rest of the night because you'll feel more positive about accomplishing your workout. Otherwise, maybe ask your hubby to go to the gym with you?
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    I need some advice. I have this innermost desire to be a super fit athlete - to be able to run, play sports, etc. I want it SO badly! But there seems to be some wall between that desire and my actions. On my drive home from work every day, I tell myself I'm going straight to the gym. Then I get home, and I decide to relax for a minute. Then the husband wants dinner. Then the DVR is full of recorded shows, so we watch them. Before I know it, it's 10:00 pm and time to get ready for bed. So what do I do to break down that barrier between wanting to work out and actually doing it? There has to be some trick, something I can do. Is there something you do? HELP!
    Don't record any TV shows, and go exercise instead of watching TV.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Like me, I force myself to exercise. It's not always easy and hard at times because I tend to get bored but I have been getting better at just DOING IT! You have to want to make the change and although you have good intentions theres that part of your brain that talks you out of it. If you just drive yourself there and don't think about it and a biggie here, "Make NO EXCUSES", then you should be able to get the workout done. It's all mind over matter! Make it like an appointment, something you have to do and can't miss, you will probally end of feeling great after and you will be so proud of yourself and more inspired to keep it going! Good luck!
  • Stephanie4Cali
    Stephanie4Cali Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find if I work out in the morning I do better. Get the body going early. Try going to the gym before work even if it means getting up earlier. Just don't sit down if your tired because you won't feel like getting up. Try walking with someone so you can't back out. You can do it.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    get rid of the DVR!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Can you work out in the morning? I remember a trainer at Curves told me something along the lines of "work out close to work" because otherwise you have the time to talk yourself out of it. The other thing is actually setting it as a priority.

But I'd also want you to think about what your motivation is. Do you want to be super fit because you honestly love working out and want to dedicate that time? Or do you think that is going to be your way of finding happiness? I know I often will get myself caught in a fantasy because I think it'll be my cure to be happy with myself. The reality is, I won't be happy by being that thing. I have to be happy with myself and then I can be able to persue that goal.

Also, you can try figuring out your schedule. Set it as an appointment and like someone else said, get hubby to go with you. It's great to be healthy together! Then reward yourself with the taped shows, instead of them being the priority. (I remember having the realization one day that I wanted to live my life instead of watching other people live theirs.)
  • mfergie889
    Options
    I agree with getting up early to work out. If you can spare the time in the morning, you will feel so much better through the rest of the day.

Even just WALKING around the neighborhood in the evening is so invigorating. Otherwise, like the others said, just go to the gym straight from work!
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing. This time I told myself I am going to just go on a half hour walk every single night for 30 days straight- today was day 7 and I feel great!- I even started doing Turbo Jam video today- I may have only gotten 15 mins in, but something is always better than nothing. I agree with everyone else- don't even go home, just take ur gym clothes with u in the morning and leave them in ur car and change at the gym- it'll become habit! :)
  • shaunarlr83
    shaunarlr83 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    sadly I have no tv (well let me clarify I own 4 just get no channels and have no cable) so we use the internet to watch all of our favorite shows and netflix for movies, Our computer with a big screen is in our room so my life consisted of laying in bed all of the time, I even got to the point where I would drag the laptop into the bathroom with me and watch something while I took my long hot baths. Finally one day I sat down and made a playlist of all the up beat, get your body moving, songs that I loved I noticed when I had that music going I no longer wanted to sit, I wanted to get up and move. I started off slow by cleaning house, then one day I added in a little exercise, I got to the point where I wanted to try all new exercises and now it just a part of everyday life! Take it slow you will get there, I wish I could afford a gym membership right now but until I can this works for me. Good luck!!!!
  • cflexen
    cflexen Posts: 20
    Options
    I would say first thing you have to do is get control of ur Mind set !!!! bcuz if that isn't in order u will not stick to anything...I speak from my own experience. I mentally have to remind myself constantly every single day..hour..minute..whatever..why it is I am doing this! You and only you can motivate urself and stay focused..its important and helpful to have a partner to workout with and eat right but be super careful not to be co-dependent on them bcuz if they stop or quit.. u don't want to get pulled down with them.. YOU HAVE TO DO YOU!! I personally am learning that right now...I am no longer relying on my husband or friends who I sometimes workout with..I love when they participate w/ me but if they don't I still keep on keeping on!! I keep telling myself (mentally) when I am feeling tired or lazy and don't feel like exercising that its only gonna make feel more tired and super lazy if I don't get up and move. I remind myself how energized and good I feel once I am through working out and when I get cravings or temptations I also remind myself of the feelings I get when I am done eating something I shouldn't have eaten..( I feel pissed off that I screwed up and I feel angry that I couldn't control the craving in my head) even as I write this post I really truely realize how much of a mental challenge it is to train ur body to eat right and exercise so that over time it naturally because a habit or routine in my life. Believe me, I know it seems like the impossble and it may feel like that for the 1st couple of weeks but once you get moving and stick with it, you really begin to like the way you feel (mentally, physically, and emotionally!!) My moods are getting better, I feel happier, and I never thought I would say this but I really do have more energy throughout the day!! Hope this helps!:wink:
  • trish2011
    trish2011 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the morning people. (Immediately after work without going home's a good option too... but you really feel energized and positive when you exercise in the morning.)

I've got alot to lose also and I struggle with the same issues of making sure I get the workout in. I'm going to start planning my mornings around the exercise three times a week and try to exercise two more times around noon. Planning seems to make all the difference.... food and exercse. I do enjoy hearing everyone's concerns, because many of us have the same problems. We just have to overcome them.
  • misscuriosity
    Options
    When I have that problem, I go find my gym shoes, and I put them on, and I grab my stuff and walk out the door and get into the car. I don't let myself 'think' about what I'm doing, because then myself will argue 'but NO! I want to wait, I just want 5 more minutes' or something like that. So I just pretend it's like you know, how you have to actually take the ice cream out of the freezer before you can eat it? Like I'm driving to the easy chair to sit in it. And once you're at the gym, you have no choice. ;) I have noticed that forward momentum works. For me the 'trick' is just starting it. Whether it's standing up out of the chair, or picking up the gym shoes. A teeny tiny spark of determination to start the ball rolling and it's like a snowball effect....and then it just feels better and better as your snowball gets bigger and bigger! --- Just whatever you do, don't think too much on it when you're doing it. Just do it. haha ;) Being mindless sometimes gets us into trouble, but it can work mightily to your advantage. The other thing that helps me is to just tell myself "today I am going to the gym". Period. If you let yourself know in no uncertain terms what is going to happen, it's helpful because there is no room for 'maybe'. And just know, that eventually, once you get to be more fit and your habit becomes more and more established, it will become like air to you....you won't be able to live without it! It's suuuuper addicting! -- Two quotes hanging in my gym: 1) Commitment is a muscle 2) Put off procrastincation ;)
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've been slacking bad lately too :(

But - I purposely chose a gym that's close to my work, so I have no distractions between work and gym. That helps a lot, but it's still hard finding that time (and motivation) everyday.

just keep trying!