Meatless Meat Question

Options
2»

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I grew up on it and I still like it. I know, I know...

Morningstar Farms makes vegetarian patties that aren't really supposed to be meat. Most people who try a black bean patty think it tastes kinda like a SW eggroll. And chickpea patties really aren't that weird... falafel, anyone?

Besides, they're portable.

edited because I know better!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Meat tastes great but they don't want to consume the flesh of animals because it weighs on their conscience

Meat tastes great because we are supposed to eat the flesh of animals.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone ever said it tastes bad.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I was watching the show "Naked and Afraid" last night (repeats before the new one came on) and the girl in one of the episodes was a vegetarian (or a vegan. Either way she didn't eat meat).

So here they are starving to death because they couldn't find food. The guy finds some grubs and what not to eat -- not many mind you but enough for a little protein -- and she refused to eat it because it was meat and she was "holding true to her beliefs".

She would rather starve to death than eat a grub because it was meat.

As for the OP: I eat meat but sometimes I'll do the "meatless" version of things like the "meatless crumbles" for salads (when I don't have any actual meat to throw on a salad) and I've done the veggie burgers. They're ok but for me it's not something that I would switch to for the long run. I don't eat a ton of meat (red meat) anyway. I eat more chicken and pork and limit my intake of red meat. I don't care if someone is vegetarian or vegan just don't push your beliefs on me and try and make me feel bad for my choices (you won't by the way because 1) I couldn't care less what you think and 2) I'll probably stop hanging around with you because of your annoying "holier-than-thou" attitude).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I was watching the show "Naked and Afraid" last night (repeats before the new one came on) and the girl in one of the episodes was a vegetarian (or a vegan. Either way she didn't eat meat).

So here they are starving to death because they couldn't find food. The guy finds some grubs and what not to eat -- not many mind you but enough for a little protein -- and she refused to eat it because it was meat and she was "holding true to her beliefs".

Later in that episode, she finally gave in and ate some meat. Eventually, the drive to eat and survive overrode her ethics.

The guy was pumped because he had a goal of getting a vegetarian to eat meat. :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone ever said it tastes bad.

Depends on the meat..... liver... blech.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I eat a Morningstar Farms grillers prime for lunch almost every day, but it's the only "meat-like" one I like the flavor of, besides the Gardein burgers that are better cooked at home on the stove. I eat fish, fowl and dairy, and the veggie burgers are easy to keep at work, quick to make in the microwave and 17g of protein.
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Later in that episode, she finally gave in and ate some meat. Eventually, the drive to eat and survive overrode her ethics.

The guy was pumped because he had a goal of getting a vegetarian to eat meat. :laugh:
    While I don't eat anything with fur or feathers for NOW. I'm the first to admit that if I was starving and had to hunt, that I would absolutely eat other meat besides fish. Survival wins every time. Plus, I'm on MFP so clearly I like to eat.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am Lacto-ovo- vegetarian for ethical reasons. I am not one of those people that would say eating meat is bad or not natural, blah blah, but its just not for me. I also dont eat the meatless stuff that taste like meat most times because it feels like i am eating meat anyway. There is this place Ike's that makes amazing sandwiches using fake meat and those taste good, other than that, mostly a big fat no.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I tend to prefer the "meat alternatives" that aren't masquerading as meat. I'll eat a black bean burger any day of the week...

I had a couple of black bean burgers in my freezer. I had just made some Jimmy Dean Hot & Spicy Sausage...I fried the black bean burgers in the sausage grease - feeling like I was breaking some sort of code :laugh:

BTW - I could not tell any difference between nuking them in a microwave and frying them in sausage grease.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    i cant eat meat for heath reasons as well .. gi issues. i use to do the fake meats when i first converted to mostly plant based, its a way for people to transition over. now i make all my own foods. i occasionally will have a vegan cheese or something. but to me most of the fake meat substitutes dont substitute well for the real thing. morning star does have some good tasting meat substitutes, but i would rather make my own foods like black bean burger, or lentil loaf which is a vegetarian meat loaf.. if you look at the ingredients on fake meats the list is bigger than my arm.. i have a thing if i eat a processed food i have to be able to read and understand the ingredients which most processed foods i don't. so i stick with making my own that way i know whats in it and I don't end up having a bad flare. gluten is poison to me.. i dont have a choice. it was hard at first, but i have come to love the way i eat. i get to be really creative in the kitchen..
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I am Lacto-ovo- vegetarian for ethical reasons. I am not one of those people that would say eating meat is bad or not natural, blah blah, but its just not for me. I also dont eat the meatless stuff that taste like meat most times because it feels like i am eating meat anyway. There is this place Ike's that makes amazing sandwiches using fake meat and those taste good, other than that, mostly a big fat no.

This to me makes perfect sense.

Because you choose to refrain from animal products, it seems to me that eating "meat flavored" products would be odd.
  • kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons but I still eat the fake meat out of convenience. It's mainly because I am a very bad (and lazy) cook. I love things like tofu, falafel and what-not but I just do not have the first clue how to cook it. While I don't think fake meat tastes very much like real meat (and I wouldn't really care if it didn't), I like the convenience of having something ready made that I can whack in the microwave and use as a main component in food. The high protein with less calories is an added bonus too, plus if I am going to a family BBQ or something I can just take a pack of meat substitute with me so the host doesn't need to cater especially for me.

That being said, I used to LOVE bacon sandwiches. I think the pretend bacon is the only meat substitute I choose for the meaty taste. Some hangovers just won't go away without a good bacon sarnie. :laugh:
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Facon. Wrong. WRONG. WRONG. Save me.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i was vegetarian 10 years and now vegan 3 years for ethical reasons

i do not remember what meat tastes like I eat vegan meat "subs" out of convenience or because i just want to but rarely eat them because im cheap as sh1t...

tofurky is so good ahhhhhh yessssss