what to eat after a good workout?

Options
I want to know what you guys eat after a good long workout.
what ever it is i would like some ideas thank you:)

Replies

• marniehodges
    Options
    I love fat free milk with low sugar chocolate quik and raw almonds :tongue: .
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    MEAT!!! :bigsmile:
    I've gotten to the point where I finish at the gym and crave something high in protien (like a side of beef). So, I usually come home and make a nice slab of something with lots of yummy veggies. oo and lots and lots of water! :drinker:
  • jmo325
    jmo325 Posts: 57
    Options
    I do this and it has really worked!!

Metabolic Window:
    It is important to eat within 45 minutes post-exercise. This 45 minute period is referred to as a “metabolic window”. During this time the enzymes to replenish muscle and protein stores are at peak levels. This means you want to eat a snack that contains protein and carbohydrates. Examples: peanut butter sandwich, yogurt with fruit, bagel with cream cheese, or a handful of nuts. By grabbing a snack within 45 minutes of your workout you will maintain/build muscle mass, replenish glycogen stores, and reduce the amount of fat your body stores.

http://reallivingnutrition.blogspot.com/2008/12/use-metabolic-window-in-your-weight.html
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I mix a nice glass of Whey Protein and slim milk or water. But anything high in protein is great after a workout.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    i actually just ate a hard boiled egg and a 1/4 baked chicken breast left over from a previous dinner lol.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i have been eating oatmeal with peanut butter, microwaveable edamame, or apples with peanut butter. just peanut butter in general is awesome i think.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I've gotten to the point where I finish at the gym and crave something high in protien (like a side of beef). So, I usually come home and make a nice slab of something with lots of yummy veggies. oo and lots and lots of water! :drinker:

Yes protein but NOT meat! You want to consume fast acting carbs and fast acting proteins such as fruits, veggies and seed/nut milks....
    Eating meat right after a workout causes your body to waste energy on digestion and not focus strictly on recovery.

The best to eat after a workout is NATURAL amino acids, proteins, and carbs. NATURAL. A fruit and some nuts, green juices with hemp or spirulina powder (all natural not additives) You want to eat/drink things that are HIGH in quality recovery nutrients because your body will absorb it all and put it to use! After a workout is a great time to get in your fruit for the day because your body is burning and will burn and use the sugars instead of store them.

Make the food REAL and easy to digest.... Greek yogurt (high in protein) banana, peanut butter smoothie.... Green juices, fresh fruits, almond milk..... nutrient dense. :-D
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I do this and it has really worked!!

Metabolic Window:
    It is important to eat within 45 minutes post-exercise. This 45 minute period is referred to as a “metabolic window”. During this time the enzymes to replenish muscle and protein stores are at peak levels. This means you want to eat a snack that contains protein and carbohydrates. Examples: peanut butter sandwich, yogurt with fruit, bagel with cream cheese, or a handful of nuts. By grabbing a snack within 45 minutes of your workout you will maintain/build muscle mass, replenish glycogen stores, and reduce the amount of fat your body stores.

http://reallivingnutrition.blogspot.com/2008/12/use-metabolic-window-in-your-weight.html
    No bad ;)
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Tuna with lite mayo and mustard.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i have been eating oatmeal with peanut butter, microwaveable edamame, or apples with peanut butter. just peanut butter in general is awesome i think.
    Aww man, now you've got me craving peanut butter!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

ME TOO! :-D So goooood!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options

Yes protein but NOT meat! You want to consume fast acting carbs and fast acting proteins such as fruits, veggies and seed/nut milks....
    Eating meat causes your body to waste energy on digestion and not focus strictly on recovery.

The best to eat after a workout is NATURAL amino acids, proteins, and carbs. NATURAL. A fruit and some nuts, green juices with hemp or spirulina powder (all natural not additives) You want to eat/drink things that are HIGH in quality recovery nutrients because your body will absorb it all and put it to use! After a workout is a great time to get in your fruit for the day because your body is burning and will burn use the sugars instead of store them.

Make the food REAL and easy to digest.... Greek yogurt (high in protein) banana, peanut butter shake.... Green juices, fresh fruits, almond milk..... nutrient dense. :-D

It's worked for me... IMHO aminos and protien don't come from a more natural or real source than meat. Yes, fruits and nuts are good however for folks allergic to nuts and hungry for dinner (I workout at night) meat seems like a fairly logical solution. BUT to each his own...
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options

And you're no better! You have me craving a peanut butter and almond milk smoothie/shake. Maybe toss a banana in there. My goodness...
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    I don't really care for peanut butter so I'm kinda screwed hahaha
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

And you're no better! You have me craving a peanut butter and almond milk shake. Maybe toss a banana in there. My goodness...
    I said banana didn't I? hehe One of my favorites! Banana peanut butter smoothie.... I am making homemade almond milk this week.... I am really looking forward to that. YUM!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I don't really care for peanut butter so I'm kinda screwed hahaha
    Almond butter? Organic soy or almond milk? Greek Yogurt has 14g of protein in it itself.... throw in some hemp or flax grounds and you don't need peanut butter. There are a lot of other fast acting protein options. :-D
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

Eating meat causes your body to waste energy on digestion and not focus strictly on recovery.

The best to eat after a workout is NATURAL amino acids, proteins, and carbs. NATURAL. A fruit and some nuts, green juices with hemp or spirulina powder (all natural not additives) You want to eat/drink things that are HIGH in quality recovery nutrients because your body will absorb it all and put it to use! After a workout is a great time to get in your fruit for the day because your body is burning and will burn use the sugars instead of store them.

Make the food REAL and easy to digest.... Greek yogurt (high in protein) banana, peanut butter shake.... Green juices, fresh fruits, almond milk..... nutrient dense. :-D

It's worked for me... IMHO aminos and protien don't come from a more natural or real source than meat. Yes, fruits and nuts are good however for folks allergic to nuts and hungry for dinner (I workout at night) meat seems like a fairly logical solution. BUT to each his own...
    Well sure it's better than some options ;) But the easier to digest the better. And believe me I get that workout just before dinner thing! :-D That is me on most days! I just try to get in something right after my workout and before dinner. But if you are HUNGRY, goodness yes, EAT~ You are right there for sure!

haha I am a dork and should have replied to all at once instead of independently hahaha Sorry so many posts ;)
  • boxerbby
    Options
    WOW THANKS GUYS!:)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I exercise right before dinner so I just eat dinner
  • sassysusse
    Options
    Great info and examples. I'll definitely remember this after my next work out. Thanks!