Hi, I'm a "Newbie"

Options
Hello everyone,

My name is Willett and I've been using My Fitness Pal for a week and I'm loving it. I've been dieting for 17 months and was writing in my journal, but it was too much looking up every calorie in everything, so I was happy to "stumble" on to this site. I'm a "below the knee" amputee, so my main concern since the surgery was the lack of exercise with my main dependence on my wheelchair. I have been doing strengthening exercises learned in rehab, but there doesn't seen to be any calories burned when I update my exercise page. I'm doing 30 minutes each morning of stomach crunches, side leg lifts and torso twist. I had to suspend my physical therapy 8 months ago due to complications, but last week I started walking with my prosthetic for 30 consistent minutes around my house. This is painful for me, but it's needed whether or not I'm trying to lose weight, since my goal is to get out of that wheelchair:happy: If anyone knows of any easy-to-do strengthening exercises that will burn calories, let me know - I don't want to do any harm to myself without the help of a trained therapist, so I do want to be careful. Nice to be apart of this "community"!

Replies

• eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Welcome N00bTammie :) Strength doesn't burn as much as cardio is all I've learned. Raising your arms gets your heart pumping faster. at the gym I'm HOOKED on the handbike. Not the highest burn, but good combo of cardio and a little strength. Google some things, too. And your doctor and rehab should give you some routines, too. Welcome!
  • willettamie
    willettamie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I'll search for some new ideas on the internet.
  • everwarmerq
    everwarmerq Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also am a newbie. I starting trying to loose weight in January. My doctor had referred me for bariatric surgery and I went to the meetings. In order to be considered for surgery, you must lose 10% of your body weight as a show of good faith and commitment. I started at 307.8 pounds and was able to lose 38 pounds over a period of 3 months. After reading about the surgery, I got a little scared and decided I didn't want to undergo the knife, so I decided to try to lose the weight on my own,. I've now lost 60.6 pounds and have about 100 to go!

I love this website...I discovered it in April.
  • RealChrisLance
    Options
    I just joined today myself. Good luck with your goals!
  • hmc1413
    Options
    New here too! Hopefully I can find some support and friends to make this journey easier :)
  • AuroraD82
    AuroraD82 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new too! I am not too sure about specific calorie burn strength training but I know that planks, push ups and sit ups are each, both good strength builder exercises for the core muscles -and can be modified depending on your body's mobility.
    I did a bunch of strength training and also noticed that I got no credit for exercise minutes.
  • willettamie
    willettamie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know...I was expecting some credit for the 30 minutes that I'm giving to the strengthening exercise...oh well... But I do my own maneuvering around the house in my wheelchair (arm strengthening)and for 30 minutes, I put on my prosthetic and walk myself into a serious sweat!:laugh:
  • everwarmerq
    everwarmerq Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I still consider myself a "newbie," since I haven't posted since my introduction. I have lost 2 and 1/2 pounds since then. The outdoor pool at my gym is now closed for the season, so I need to come up with an alternative activity. I attend and exercise class for senior citizens (i'm 70) 2 hours per week, but I miss swimming...it helped the pounds drop more quickly! I've tried going for walks, but I don't really enjoy it. Any suggestions?
  • Dkaykay
    Dkaykay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also am a newbie. I starting trying to loose weight in January. My doctor had referred me for bariatric surgery and I went to the meetings. In order to be considered for surgery, you must lose 10% of your body weight as a show of good faith and commitment. I started at 307.8 pounds and was able to lose 38 pounds over a period of 3 months. After reading about the surgery, I got a little scared and decided I didn't want to undergo the knife, so I decided to try to lose the weight on my own,. I've now lost 60.6 pounds and have about 100 to go!

I love this website...I discovered it in April.

Good for you for going for it without the surgery! You're doing great!
  • Jazaky
    Options
    I'm new too. Good luck!
  • jsly276
    Options
    Hello, Another Newbie here.
    I discovered this site and have been using it for a week. I was on My Food Diary for years but needed to change it up and this one is free! I have been gaining weight all summer and when the weather changed my fall/winter clothes don't fit. I am not going to buy a whole new wardrobe so it is time to get myself back in gear and lose these pounds I had put on. Arrgh