For those who hate cooking...

Options
What do you make?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I learned to change my attitude toward cooking since there really isn't a viable alternative. But I batch cook on the weekends so that I don't have to come home from work and cook then. I grill a lot of chicken and steak and then use it for all sorts of things. Steaming veggies is pretty easy, whole wheat pasta. . . doable. . . as is turkey chili, roasted pork tenderloin and quite a few things made in the crock pot.
  • Oneironaut
    Oneironaut Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't hate cooking, but I'm generally so lazy that I don't do it very much.

I really like my slow cooker. It can be as simple as dumping a bunch of ingredients into the pot, turning a dial, and waiting until it's ready. Many recipes call for browning meat on the stove first. This improves the taste, but isn't absolutely necessary so can be skipped.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do like to cook, but it's not hard to find healthy food premade. My husband travels for work a lot and my three year old is very picky, so I skip cooking often enough... I've found that Canned tuna, trader joes meals(the gyoza and some of the Indian entrees are very reasonable), salads, whole foods' paleo hot bar and my crockpot all produce pretty good mix and match meals.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I cook my ex who didn't loved to make my tuna, macaroni, and peas thing. Learn a few healthy throw together meals makes life easy in the long run and if you cook large amounts well freeze or refrigerate the leftovers.
  • catsmeat
    catsmeat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Coffee for breakfast, or a protein bar or apple if I get hungry before lunch.

Whole Foods salad bar for lunch.

One of the following for dinner:
    Tacos, Taco Salad, Tilapia and veg, chicken breast and veg.

Rinse/repeat.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have a crock pot AKA: slow cooker, I highly recommend you get one. Honestly it's not really cooking (at least to me it isn't). You throw everything in there and leave it alone all day, and then eat when it's ready. I haven't done anything in the crock lately, but that's because it's been hot (hot food + hot weather doesn't mix very well for me). My suggestion is to buy a large one so you can do some freezing of extras (leftovers are so yummy).

There are tons of crock-pot cookbooks out there, including ones for low-calorie, low carb, low sugar (whatever your preference I can almost guarantee there is a crock-pot cookbook for it).
  • I use ZipLoc Zip n Steam bags. Throw in your meat and your veggies and you've got dinner in 10 minutes!
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I've learned to live with less fancy meals. Beans/lentils are easy to make and I toss in some garlic powder/cumin/chili powder. Basic seitan is also easy (I'm a vegetarian, when I wasn't this would have been poached chicken parts). And I eat my veggies plain (often from frozen so I don't have to prep them). So a lot of my meals are, well, boring. I'm OK with that though. I also do some frozen meals - usually veggie burgers or frozen meatless meatballs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I love to cook so can't say otherwise, but to make things easier for the week I like to pre-cook some things on Sunday. Chicken breast (boneless) seasoned and baked on the weekend can be chopped and bagged. Then its used for salads, sandwiches, with veggies, in tortillas, or just over rice. I also do my rice in a big batch so I can just scoop and go.