Is it possible to get too much protein?

Options
In an effort to meet my macros I've started supplementing, which has been great, but now I'm going well beyond my daily allotment of protein. Is there such a thing as getting too much protein? If so, what are the side effects? I don't feel an ill effects as of yet. I wanted to experiment with a high protein low-ish fat macro nutrient profile, which looks like 40/40/20. With the added supplementation I'm going more towards 45/35/15 - protein/carbs/fat.

Replies

• stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's icky to talk about, but constipation is a risk. That would be no fun at all.
  • ldy_78
    Options
    It's icky to talk about, but constipation is a risk. That would be no fun at all.

Ah, so that's where the um, sluggishness is coming from.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. Each one of us may process it different than the next. i'm 5'9" 180 lbs and i've been averaging about 240g of protein for a little over a week. My diet is pretty clean with a mixture of red meat, fish, and chicken for at least 1/3 of my protein. the other 2/3 protein intake is all powder. I assure you I am not nor have I been constipated since grade school. Nor do I suffer from diarrhea . I may experience excess rotten egg gas (excuse TMI ) but it's VERY seldom. and at 180g average I will never experience anything bad.

Two years ago I ranged from 240 to 300 for a little period and once again nothing major.

I believe that it's when you eat a bad combination of things that you're body will produce an ill effect when introduced with large amounts of protein. for example. beer, spicy chicken wings, and plenty of protein mixed in. STAY CLEAR! but these are things that we have control of. Most of us know what things may upset our stomach by now.

much luck!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You only NEED 0.8g of protein per lb. of LBM. That's it. It has been studied, documented, and can be found online with hard proof. If you are a bodybuilder on gear than you need more.

Anything over 0.8g is overkill and literally serves absolutely no purpose other than personal preference. To me, I think it's absolutely idiotic to consume 200+g of protein a day. I enjoy my Starbucks drinks, cakes, cookies, and ice-cream.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You can get too much if you are lacking other macros like fat. Look up rabbit starvation.
  • ldy_78
    Options
    You only NEED 0.8g of protein per lb. of LBM. That's it. It has been studied, documented, and can be found online with hard proof. If you are a bodybuilder on gear than you need more.

Anything over 0.8g is overkill and literally serves absolutely no purpose other than personal preference. To me, I think it's absolutely idiotic to consume 200+g of protein a day. I enjoy my Starbucks drinks, cakes, cookies, and ice-cream.

How do you know what your LBM is?
  • ldy_78
    Options
    You can get too much if you are lacking other macros like fat. Look up rabbit starvation.

ew yikes. I'm not that bad. I get under 100 grams per day. Good to know though.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    According to the current month's issue of Muscle & Fitness Hers, your body can only absorb about 30g at a time. If you take in more it will get stored as fat. Also says too much protein can put a strain on the kidneys because they clear out the by-products of protein and will get overworked. Additionally it says, "For every gram of protein consumed over 2 grams per day [per kg of body weight], about 1-1.5 milligrams of calcium is also excreted, which leads to loss of bone density."

I take this magazine with a grain of salt, but it's probably worth looking further into it. Also, I don't know if it's just a day here or there or if this is consistent for you. If it's not all the time, you are probably fine, as you can balance it out with days that aren't as protein heavy. I would imagine over time the negative effects would take their toll and maybe not be apparent right away. I really don't think you need that much protein, and you do need nutrients from other types of foods that you may not be getting.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Ah, so that's where the um, sluggishness is coming from.

It's not specifically the extra protein, it's the likely reduced intake of fiber. I do find that if I'm focusing on getting in a LOT of protein it's harder to get in enough fiber while on my deficit. Had no issues hitting my old protein goal (160g) and fiber while eating at estimated maintenance though.

Figure out your protein needs (ideally by grams, not % - e.g. 0.82g/lb is a good starting point) and stick to that, go over if you feel like it sometimes but make sure you get variety in your diet still. I was low on fibre tonight so I'm having frozen raspberries. Make sure you get in enough water as well.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    According to the current month's issue of Muscle & Fitness Hers, your body can only absorb about 30g at a time. If you take in more it will get stored as fat. Also says too much protein can put a strain on the kidneys because they clear out the by-products of protein and will get overworked. Additionally it says, "For every gram of protein consumed over 2 grams per day [per kg of body weight], about 1-1.5 milligrams of calcium is also excreted, which leads to loss of bone density."

People also claimed that meal timing was important for performance and fat loss, and that there's an anabolic window within which you must consume x foods or GASP there won't be benefits! lol.

A lot of people eat a looot of protein (probably too much, but still) and likely do not time it out to be only eating 30g at a time. What constitutes a given time anyways? Is it when you are no longer full that this time has been filled up? Or is there a set window?

Imo, it's just silly.
    You only NEED 0.8g of protein per lb. of LBM
    No, it's 0.82g/lb. OR about 1g/LBM. The former is likely to be a bit higher than the latter, nbd if you don't know your BF and are relatively lean.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Your body absorbs all of the protein you eat at one time. It might take longer but it does absorb it. The 30g at a time is broscience.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    You only NEED 0.8g of protein per lb. of LBM.

I'm pretty sure it's 0.8 gram per kilogram of total body weight as a minimum for the sedentary. If you are an athlete it is wise to double it. But I just did the math and it comes out the same so... sorry, carry on ;)