Gained weight :-(

Options
Ah gained weight this week so far in the month been here a month just under only lost 1lb i been doing everything right eatting 1200 calories and working out and eatting calories back ( track all workouts with my HRM ) yet i've gained yet again don't think eatting back calories is working for me :-( been burning almost 500 calories 5 days a week !!! surely if i'm only eatting 1200 calories thats a deficit of my daily needed calories before deficiet taken out of ( 1868 cals a day fro body to do daily things) i should be losin a 1lb and a half at least what could be wrong ? please help

Replies

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 your net calorie intake?

I am just wondering if you are eating too little.
  • woody2784
    Options
    my net calorie is also 1200 and even though i do exercising aswell i dont eat the calories back , maybe give it 1 week with out eating the calories back if that makes any sence lol :smile:
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    yes my net intake is 1200 i eat back calories burned and have it set to sedentary as i stay at home i just add exercise and walking asi do it
  • staceyb_2003
    Options
    my net calorie is also 1200 and even though i do exercising aswell i dont eat the calories back , maybe give it 1 week with out eating the calories back if that makes any sence lol :smile:

have youlost much doing it this way ?
  • woody2784
    Options
    i only started last week , and so far ive lost 3lb which im pleased about :smile:
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat back all of my exercise calories. My net calories has been between 800 - 1000 and there are days when I'm hungry at night but not starving, I just drink glasses of water. I know my goal is suppose to be 1200 but sometimes after my workout ( I burn between 250 - 400 kcal a day if I include cardio), I still have 300 - 500 kcal left to eat. I just don't eat them all because I'm not hungry but if I am, I eat a handful of nuts and not feel guilty about it because I know I have loads of calories left...maybe for a week, try to only eat half of your exercise calories back and see how that feels?
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options

have youlost much doing it this way ?
    It's my method also and I find it works. But I chase maximum nutrition out of my calories. I see a LOT of people over estimating their exercise calories, so eating them all back isnt an exact science.
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Are your clothes getting loser? If you are building a large amount of muscle back up that has atrophied the scale may not budge but you should notice a difference in the way your clothing fits.

Are your calories spread out well within the nutrients? You may need to alter your diet if you are heavy in say carbs and lite in protein.
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all my exercise calories - usually eat about half of them. Mainly in case I have underestimated food calories (I don't have the time or inclination to weigh all my food). Usually I'm 2-300 calories after exercise and I'm losing weight like this. I think it depends what kind of food you are eating too. If you are eating high fibre healthy foods I think it's easier to lose weight than if you eat the same calories of other foods. If my weight hits a plateau then I'll start eating all my exercise calories but this is working for me at the moment.

Hope that helps. Stick with it - you'll get there. If you're new to exercise then you might see a big drop in a few weeks :-)
  • jdas00
    jdas00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Watching your portion control, you really have to weigh and mesure things when you first start out. Is this something you have been doing? You may think it is one serving but it c/b 1.5 or 2 and you are not getting the correct cal info.
  • elainio
    elainio Posts: 77
    Options
    I don’t eat back my exercise calories I try to burn 500 calories every time I go to the gym, and only really eat a few of them (like 30 calories over my 1200 goal) on weekdays. I do tend to go over my calorie allowance at the weekend buy anything upto 300. I have lost 5lb in 2 weeks and am going to do my weekly weigh in at 12. I am worried that I may not have lost this week. If I haven’t then I will prob start eating more of my exercise calories and be very very careful at the weekends.

Maybe try eating some of your exercise calories? Eat clean aswell so cut out processed foods.

Good luck and try to stay motivated, it is tough when you feel like your work isnt paying off.

E x

P.S where did u get the picture in your ticker? It looks great and I would love to make one of me!
  • Skinnyville
    Options
    Have you checked your inches? My friend used to go weeks without showing any weight loss at all, then she would get weighed and sometimes she had lost up to 9lb. It was very strange but the body is a wierd and wonderful thing. Check your inches and keep going, some day soon you will get a wonderful suprise when you step on the scales. I have promised myself that I will only get weighed once per fortnight, maybe thats the way to go for you. I am only taking measurements once per month that way I am hoping to get better results which will keep me motivated. Good luck and I'm sure its working. Remember muscle weighs more then fat so if your losing the fat its probably the fact that your gaining muscle with all the excercise your doing. Check your inches!!!!!! x x
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat my exercise calories. Having lost a load of weight previously (sadly I stopped working out and put it back on) using Rosemary Conley I have never seen the need to eat them back. All Rosemary Conley diets state you do not exercise to gain calories back to eat. I lost 3 stone last time doing this so I know it works for me.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Well it is hard to give a professional opinion without seeing your diary. I am guessing your not eating enough to loose and your probably eating something in there that may be holding your back.

It does come down to the math and science of it all. Remember for some people they have to work harder(exercise to intensity) and its not just about cutting back on the bad foods but cutting them completly out untill you have reached your health and fitness goals.

So again without seeing your diary. Make sure your working out to intensity. You want to try and burn 400-500 calories with exercise a day and make sure your eating clean healthy foods. Nothing processed, full of sugar, salt or artifical sweetners.
  • mmargraf
    Options
    First, try not to eat the calories burned by exercise. The calories burned amounts are a little inflated on this site. Second, drink your 8 - 10 glasses of water a day. Drop any diet pop for the time being and limit coffee to 2 cups per day. Third, make sure you are eating protien and not too many carbs in the forms of potaoes, rice and pasta. Get your carbs from whole wheat products, beans, nuts, etc. Eat plenty of fresh veggies and limit your fruits to 2 per day.
    Don't give up and use the site to be accountable. Log everything you put in your mouth.
    Staying on 1200 cal maynot be the right amount for you, so set your calories at 1400 per day for now. You can reduce calories when you are half way to the goal.
    Check any medications for "weight gain" side effects. You may just be retaining water. Drink more water. I know that sounds crazy, but it works. Stick with it - your body will get on board.
  • staceyb_2003
    Options
    Are your clothes getting loser? If you are building a large amount of muscle back up that has atrophied the scale may not budge but you should notice a difference in the way your clothing fits.

Are your calories spread out well within the nutrients? You may need to alter your diet if you are heavy in say carbs and lite in protein.

Hi i feel more toned but i'm still the same inchs
  • staceyb_2003
    Options
    I don’t eat back my exercise calories I try to burn 500 calories every time I go to the gym, and only really eat a few of them (like 30 calories over my 1200 goal) on weekdays. I do tend to go over my calorie allowance at the weekend buy anything upto 300. I have lost 5lb in 2 weeks and am going to do my weekly weigh in at 12. I am worried that I may not have lost this week. If I haven’t then I will prob start eating more of my exercise calories and be very very careful at the weekends.

Maybe try eating some of your exercise calories? Eat clean aswell so cut out processed foods.

Good luck and try to stay motivated, it is tough when you feel like your work isnt paying off.

E x

hi its from mvm.com
    P.S where did u get the picture in your ticker? It looks great and I would love to make one of me!
  • staceyb_2003
    Options
    Well it is hard to give a professional opinion without seeing your diary. I am guessing your not eating enough to loose and your probably eating something in there that may be holding your back.

It does come down to the math and science of it all. Remember for some people they have to work harder(exercise to intensity) and its not just about cutting back on the bad foods but cutting them completly out untill you have reached your health and fitness goals.

So again without seeing your diary. Make sure your working out to intensity. You want to try and burn 400-500 calories with exercise a day and make sure your eating clean healthy foods. Nothing processed, full of sugar, salt or artifical sweetners.

I have my HRM set to move up when it reaches my intensity level
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I only use my exercise calories if I am hungry. If not. I forget about the. GENERALLY though. I am hungrier when I have burnt a lot of calories that day.

I am set to about 1300cals a day, and burn anywhere from 400cals up a day. Today I burnt 700.

I only have 100 left today :( whoops. I drank that alcoholic beverage and saw my numbers and thought I won't do that again!

You are certainly not alone. I gained last week, but that was no fault but my own.
  • staceyb_2003
    Options
    just done my measurements and i'm down another inch grr i wannasee it on the scales though too :-(