Bench press setup

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
So I've trying to take in as much as I can about proper bench setup. I find I have a couple faults that I need to figure out, namely when a lift gets heavy, I try to reposition my feet during mid lift, and I'm having a challenge keeping those scaps pinched together.

Aside from the following, what should I know about, or add to my bench set up? This one is rather challenging for me to build a strong mental image of.

1. Pinch scaps together once under bar
2. Feet under knees, out a little wider than shoulder width for heel drive
3. Full body tension, starting in glutes
4. Bar target is below nipple line
5. Bar position is sitting on the meat of the thumb, trying to keep it dead in line with the forearm to take the wrist out of the equation

Others? Any videos that would be good to watch?

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Omar Isuf's bench press vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mjoyc5JbE
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    That's a good demo on setup, thanks. I had to watch it muted ,but I'll listen to what that cat has to say later.

He keeps a pretty heavy arch in his back.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Here are some quotes from Wendler:
    Foot placement is up to you, but make sure they’re in a solid and strong position. I like to place my feet back slightly toward the head of the bench, and I assume a stance that’s narrow enough to allow my legs to squeeze the bench. As I press up, I drive my heels into the ground and squeeze my legs, picturing all the energy from my legs and hips driving into the bar. This is “leg drive.” Think about squatting the weight up.

If you’re using a closer grip like I do, the bar will touch higher on the body than it will with a wider grip – usually hitting just below my nipples. If you use a wider grip, the bar will hit slightly lower.

Wendler, Jim (2012-12-05). 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength (p. 16). Jim Wendler LLC. Kindle Edition.

Don't know how much these help but worth trying.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Keep your eyes fixed on one point on the ceiling for the entire set. It's the point where the bar should go at the top of the lift.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Foot placement is up to you, but make sure they’re in a solid and strong position. I like to place my feet back slightly toward the head of the bench, and I assume a stance that’s narrow enough to allow my legs to squeeze the bench. As I press up, I drive my heels into the ground and squeeze my legs, picturing all the energy from my legs and hips driving into the bar. This is “leg drive.” Think about squatting the weight up.

If you’re using a closer grip like I do, the bar will touch higher on the body than it will with a wider grip – usually hitting just below my nipples. If you use a wider grip, the bar will hit slightly lower.

Wendler, Jim (2012-12-05). 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength (p. 16). Jim Wendler LLC. Kindle Edition.

I did not realize that Wendler squeezed the bench. I started squeezing the bench recently and find it 'cues' me to keep by butt down.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To me, its really about cramming yourself under the bar to create the tension and be able to incorporate leg drive. It depends on flexibility and leverages, but I find getting your feet as near to your head, while still being able to get your heels down, helps with the tension.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how i was taught to remember the leg drive : you should be planted in such a way that if someone comes by and tries to move your leg, they will have a hard time.

not sure that helps but general i find i have to think more about the bench set up than any other lift
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

Going to try this today. For me, Leg drive is one of the toughest things to master.