Compensating for being under calorie limit?

Options
2»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'm confused because I have some people telling me that eating these foods would be "Cheating" and others telling me I should be. I am working towards that 1200, that's becoming more visible in my diary, the totals are slowly going up.

610, 456, 565, 988, 711, 672, 1089 ... That's your last week of caloric intake by day. It averages to 727 calories per day. One day is not totals going up. In fact, that last day is just intake without the Zumba you performed and didn't log so your net for that last day is lower than the 1089 reflected.

Your diary and the actions indicated in your posts show unhealthy behaviors. Seek help. The year's worth of evidence in your diary makes it clear you need it.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If you are never going to eat cheesecake ever again in your life, then cut it out now. But losing weight, and keeping weight off, is about developing a healthy relationship with food, learning portion control, and realizing the power you have over the food you eat.

I haven't cut anything from my diet, I've just learned that a bowl of chips is enough instead of eating the whole bag, that buying a mini pie for myself probably isn't something I should do on the regular, and that blizzards have a hell of a lot of calories and fat in them, so while I love them, I really should get the small.

We're concerned because you're not developing that healthy relationship -- instead, you're restricting your intake to the point that you can and will make yourself sick.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    The OP is at 511 calories so far today with over 30% of those from a single latte. Macros are virtually non existent. She has not yet logged yesterday's Zumba.

Actions speak loudly.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm confused because I have some people telling me that eating these foods would be "Cheating" and others telling me I should be. I am working towards that 1200, that's becoming more visible in my diary, the totals are slowly going up.

MFP gives 1200 calories as its lowest calorie option for a reason. You need food (aka energy) to perform day to day tasks and be healthy. If you are not eating enough calories your body will suffer over time. You will lose muscle mass, hair will fall out, etc like a previous person said. I agree with the poster who said you are perhaps getting too caught up on the wording. You only need a deficit of 3500 cal/week to lose one pound. If you are averaging 700 cal/day you are eating a much lower than a 3500 cal/week deficit. In your case you are certainly not "cheating" you are eating calories that your body needs. Could the calories come in a healthier form? Yes but it's one food, one day, out of one week of your life. It's not even a blip on the radar. You could eat the cheesecake and still be at a higher than suggested deficit for the week. If you eat super low calories and then choose to exercise on top of it you are making the deficit higher yet. Your body needs food and nutrition. It's also healthy and ok to have a treat now and then.
  • melaniebester
    melaniebester Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The OP is at 511 calories so far today with over 30% of those from a single latte. Macros are virtually non existent. She has not yet logged yesterday's Zumba.

Actions speak loudly.

Yes, "she" is. She is also in Australia where she is working 9 hours a day with a 30 minute break. I ate a salad roll as you can see in my diary, and I'm currently enjoying falafel with vegetables. I also didn't do zumba yesterday, nor today. I do my diary accurately, and I always add in exercise. Thanks.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - it's more than ok and should be encouraged once in a while.

However . . . when you say you've eaten "under" your calories for the week, have you really? Here's why I ask: one day you logged that you 0.13 of a navel orange . . . how do you know you have eaten 0.13 of an orange? 0.5 maybe, or 0.75 yes. But 0.13? I doubt it.

That leads me to think you may or may not be accurate logging your calories. Your breakfast consists of coffee or two pumpkin feta wraps? This rollercoaster you're sending your body on may be contributing to your craving.

From my personal experience (so NOT suggesting you do this, but just as some information you can consider), you need to eat more. I am not, not, not, not hinting at starvation mode but when you NET 900 calories, or less, in a day you can start affecting vital organ function causing damage over time. It won't happen in 2 weeks, but it will happen over time. I'm not saying you need to eat more to lose weight, I'm saying you need to eat more to survive and your body needs adequate fuel. Your car won't work without gas right? Sure you can turn it on with a little bit of gas, but you won't get very far.

Before you think in terms of treating yourself or cheating, I think to start with basic meal planning and preparation because it seems like (and maybe this isn't totally true, so don't jump at me) you eat a lot of pre-made food, and not a lot of food you need to cook. With meal planning and spreading your calories, you might not lose quickly but your body like consistency and it functions best on consistency (minus working out - when you shake it up, your body doesn't know what to do and you can actually burn more that way).

Also - if you're feeling "guilty" over one piece of cheesecake, I'd really speak to a professional. I had an unhealthy relationship with food, only mine was that I ate my feelings and ate portions way too big for me. With a previous poster pointing out that you averaged ~700 calories/day over the last week . . . I'd say you're either not logging everything you eat because you don't want to think you ate it OR you don't want others to see it - neither of which is healthy or if you're logging everything then you need to eat more food. It's really not good and you're only 19 now, sure but in maybe 7 - 10 years from now, you may want to have a family and doing damage now to your body that's irreversable will cause that many more complications in pregnancy. I know someone who suffered from an ED in her teenage years; she had 5 miscarriages and 2 still births before she had her daughter AND her daughter was born at 27 weeks. I'm not trying to lecture you, but you only get one body and one shot at it - if you ruin it now, another one is not coming along. Take care of the one you get!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone...you're not eating enough. At least pack yourself a sandwich to take to work with you. You can scarf down a sandwich in half an hour. Peanut butter and sugarfree jelly or peanut butter and banana (yummy!) would give you a good protein source. Your body needs a certain number of calories just to function (breathing, heart beating, etc., burns calories). Without sufficient calories, you can suffer damage to your body over time. Case in point: Karen Carpenter, the singer. She died of a heart condition at a young age that was brought on by a long-time battle with anorexia.

I realize that work makes it hard, believe me. I'm a single mom to two teenagers, one of whom has major disabilities. Between finding time to work, exercise, take care of my kids, etc., it can be tough. But I make sure I get up a few minutes early to pack a sandwich, some yogurt, a piece of fruit, and some carrot chips or slices of tomato. Protein bars can be a good filler, as well as protein shakes made with unsweetened almond milk. There are quick and easy and portable options available, you just have to get creative and be dedicated to preparing those things for yourself. I have an insulated lunch bag and put everything in there with an ice pack. It stays nice and cold all day. It's required me to plan ahead a bit, but you can do it if you commit to it.

We are all concerned about your intake and hope you'll make some efforts to increase it for your own health and safety. I know it's tempting to just deny yourself so you lose faster, but it tends to backfire badly in the form of major regaining of weight when normal eating resumes. Better to find a way to eat normal calorie intake and watch portions. I find that by choosing healthier foods and watching portions, I can actually eat quite a lot of food and still meet my goal. In only a month and a half, I've gone from size 16 jeans to size 12, and I'm averaging about 1500 calories a day. You can do this, too; you just need to plan ahead a bit.
  • jfboomer
    jfboomer Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It may have already been mentioned, or you may be familiar with it, but I am going to throw this out there:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I still go back and review this post occasionally. Lots of good information here.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yep you're fine to do that. I ate like 3000 calories one day recently (1500 over calorie budget or so) but behaved somewhat the rest of the time, lost a half a pound today. It evens out generally.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Actions speak loudly.

Yes, "she" is. She is also in Australia where she is working 9 hours a day with a 30 minute break. I ate a salad roll as you can see in my diary, and I'm currently enjoying falafel with vegetables. I also didn't do zumba yesterday, nor today. I do my diary accurately, and I always add in exercise. Thanks.

"Mon 09/08/14 08:45 AM
    It's fine. I didn't eat the cheesecake anyway. Felt too guilty after realising it was classed as cheating my diet. Did some zumba instead."

Which of the two contradictory statements is the truth? Both are from you in the span of 25 hours.

You're eating too little. What you're eating lacks needed nutrition. This isn't a you've been undereating for a week situation ... the pattern shows for at least a year. Yesterday, you claimed you felt guilty about food so you exercised, then the next day claimed you didn't exercise (see the quotes of your earlier posts included here).

Do you not see how unhealthy and disordered your behaviors are or do you see and ignore them?