How did breastfeeding affect your appetite and weight?

Options
I'm nearly 6 weeks post partum and eating more than I ever have because breastfeeding makes me into a ravenous beast. Lol. Im eating upwards of 3200 calories a day but seem to be averaging about 2800-2900 over the last 4ish weeks.

I'm just curious to know what your experience is/was with breastfeeding and how it impacted your appetite as well as your return to your prepregnancy body.

I'm only 7-8 pounds from my normal weight and don't seem to be gaining from my calorie intake. Since I'm still in the process of establishing my supply I plan to continue eating the amount I have been --once 8 weeks rolls around I will reduce my calories to lose 1/2 pound a week in hopes that I can arrive at my normal weight by Christmas. If not, I'm okay with that too. My priority is nourishing myself and my baby-I have my whole life to get back to my prebaby body but only one chance to give my daughter the best chance at life by nourishing her to the best of my ability.

So, PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE :)

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't get really hungry while pregnant, however with breast feeding, I starve all the time.

I wasn't concerned with counting calories while breast feeding because I didn't want to effect my supply (going back to work always does that for me). With my first pregnancy, I gained 24 lbs. I lost 24 lbs in 11 days pp. With my second pregnancy, I gained 40 lbs. I lost all but 15 really quick. After I stopped nursing, I worked on the last 15.

I have a friend on here who encouraged me when I was breast feeding and she did awesome with her workouts and diet while nursing. She said the key to keeping your supply is keeping your essential fats up! And of course, drink like a gallon of water a day.
  • csec6pak
    csec6pak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I ate more while breastfeeding than I did while pregnant. I did not count calories. I was below my pre-baby weight by 12 weeks post-partum.

My problem was that when I stopped breastfeeding (when my son was nearly 2 years old), I didn't really adjust my eating. So I gained weight. And now I'm struggling to lose it.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I ate more while breastfeeding than I did while pregnant. I did not count calories. I was below my pre-baby weight by 12 weeks post-partum.

My problem was that when I stopped breastfeeding (when my son was nearly 2 years old), I didn't really adjust my eating. So I gained weight. And now I'm struggling to lose it.

I could totally see this happening to me--I'll be ultra conscious of when my LO drops feedings.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Shameless bump :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I don't remember being super hungry, but I definitely remember being thirsty all the time. I think I may have been hungrier in the earlier stages of nursing when it felt like we were nursing all the time, but I want to say that tapered off after a few months. We finished nursing a few months ago (25 months), and looking at my diary from back then, my intake wasn't much different than it is now, even accounting for a few extra breastfeeding calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I was very hungry and super thirsty all of the time. Super super thirsty. I did not lose any weight while breastfeeding.
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I want to EAT ALL THE FOOD! Or rather for the first 4 months I did, but I was also dealing with insanely hyper thyroid levels, so that might have been some of the cause. My hunger is finally starting to die down at 5 months pp. I never lost all of my first pregnancy weight and only breastfed for six months. I was about 8-10 pounds up when I got pregnant with my second. I have about 3-5 pounds to lose to be back to pre-baby-#2 weight and I'm losing much faster than I lost with the first, even without doing a very good job of tracking calories.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I love hearing about everyone's experience. I think I'm probably going to hang out at about 5-10 pounds above my normal weight and I guess that's okay since there is no way my suits will fit anyway with my boobs being as big as they are.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I hungry all the time!!! Ever since he was born, and still today (3.5 months old.)
    Starving!

I am eating at maintenance plus an extra 500 right now. I have been maintaining weight for the past 3 months. I am exactly to the decimal where I was 3 months ago.

I am okay with it for now. I tried cutting and my milk supply dropped clear off. Luckily, I got it back. Really, as long as I don't gain anymore, I am alright.
    Now, if my weight starts creeping up and up ... Well then I won't be happy.