giving up carbs and sugar..

Options
I know a lot of people that have given up on carbs and sugar and it seems to work for them, but is this a healthy route to go?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    You can't give up all carbs and sugar is a carb. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, assuming you don't have a medical condition and eat a balanced diet. What is your reasoning behind giving it up? Do you plan on giving whatever it is you're giving up forever because for this to be sustainable, you have to think about after as well.

I eat over my sugar limit every day. I also eat a balanced diet and watch my macro and micros for health. For weight loss, calorie deficit is all that matters.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    honestly, asking that around here is a loaded question.

you'll basically get two camps of answers... one, that cutting out any macronutrient is unnecessary, "just eat less", "everything in moderation", "only under a doctor's orders", etc. two, that reducing carbs down to a minimum (as from veggies and fiber) is fine and is a proven diet method that works fine.

hint: on this particular part of the forums, camp one outweighs camp two, pitchforks and torches and all. but there are a few groups specifically dedicated to the low-carb ways of eating where you'll find more support and probably more information if you've got questions.

personally, i'm in camp 2. i prefer to low-carb, and i've seen my own health benefits from it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people that have given up on carbs and sugar and it seems to work for them, but is this a healthy route to go?

Are you diabetic? .....then yes. For health reasons you need to manage carbs.

Do you see low carb as a lifestyle change?......then yes. If you see sugar free and low carb as a permanent change, go for it.

The vast majority of people who lose weight....re-gain it at some point. This is because they make a few temporary changes to lose weight......then when dieting is "done".....they go back to same old habits that made them overweight to begin with.

If you do low carb as a temporary change......make sure you have a plan in place for maintenance.
  • meridianova
    Options
    You can't give up all carbs and sugar is a carb. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, assuming you don't have a medical condition and eat a balanced diet. What is your reasoning behind giving it up? Do you plan on giving whatever it is you're giving up forever because for this to be sustainable, you have to think about after as well.
    i've never seen a reputable diet plan that advocates eliminating ALL carbohydrates. but just because sugar is a carb doesn't mean it can't be given up. just keep in mind that it's one thing to get trace carbs from vegetables and dairy, and another to remove the obvious sources of added sugar from your diet.
    I eat over my sugar limit every day. I also eat a balanced diet and watch my macro and micros for health. For weight loss, calorie deficit is all that matters.
    congratulations, you found what works for you. unless you are the OP, what works for you may not work for her.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    No, it's not healthy to give up an entire macronutrient. This is kind of a pet peeve for me because no one ever really gives up carbs and sugar, they just reduce their intake. Or what they really mean is they're not eating bread/sweets anymore but there are still carbs and sugar in things like fruits and veggies.

There's nothing wrong with going low carb but I would strongly suggest following a program like Atkins to help guide you through. I've seen too many people try to do this on their own and it almost always fails because instead of gradually introducing carbs, they go from a strict reduction (to "kick start" weight loss or some other such nonesense) back to normal eating and regain all the weight and wonder why.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    After watching myself over a few years, I realized that I was addicted to anything made with flour. As flour nowadays is genetically modified it obviously became addictive to me. Because I ate it before that for decades without being addicted.

Of course there are a lot of other problems with our food nowadays. Everything is full with pesticides and added hormones, which may make us fat. But since I cut out everything made with flour, the cravings went away. Of course you still have to eat carbs, just be more picky about it.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    only if you want to fail

29509743.png
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hello, I do the ketogenic diet and it has changed my life. So, yes, I say, go for it! I recommend http://www.ruled.me/ for a general help going LCHF, keto, and such. You cannot cut out ALL carbs, but you can do low carbs, high fats. Fats keep you full longer and the food is delish!
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hello, I do the ketogenic diet and it has changed my life. So, yes, I say, go for it! I recommend http://www.ruled.me/ for a general help going LCHF, keto, and such. You cannot cut out ALL carbs, but you can do low carbs, high fats. Fats keep you full longer and the food is delish!

And yes it is very healthy to do! :happy: You will just change the way your body metabolizes foods which is what you want. I have more energy and less body fat! Always posititives. :wink:
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you can't utterly give up carbs because that would rule out vegetables, legumes, fruit, etc. However, it is extremely effective and healthy to cut down on your processed carbs. Go a few weeks without eating bread, pasta, anything with added sugar, alcohol, etc, and you'll definitely lose weight. Stock up on veggies and lean protein, and some amount of fruit and whole grains and legumes instead. It's a healthier way to eat and you'll drop weight, so it's a win-win.
  • meridianova
    Options
    only if you want to fail

your failure does not equate to someone else's failure. you did what worked for you. let's leave it at that, m'kay?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Are you diabetic? .....then yes. For health reasons you need to manage carbs.

Do you see low carb as a lifestyle change?......then yes. If you see sugar free and low carb as a permanent change, go for it.

The vast majority of people who lose weight....re-gain it at some point. This is because they make a few temporary changes to lose weight......then when dieting is "done".....they go back to same old habits that made them overweight to begin with.

If you do low carb as a temporary change......make sure you have a plan in place for maintenance.

Since I probably couldn't say it as well, I will just quote this.

But yea, you can't cut out all carbs unless you basically are going to just eat meat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    only if you want to fail

your failure does not equate to someone else's failure. you did what worked for you. let's leave it at that, m'kay?

I'm not sure that anyone would be successful on a no carb diet which is what the OP asked.
  • Shaquana2
    Options
    I dont' fill like you should cut anything out.You can make healthier choices like wheat breads and pastas. Because you're still human and these are lifestyle changes. Not just a quick fix that's what people fell to understand and that's where the rule cumbles. I love potato's but i'm not gonna sit and type that i will never eat them again i will eat a small bag of lays potato chips and im 1000% sure that i'm gonna eat them in the future. No im not gonna indulge because i'm teaching myself discipline. But i hope this helps. My ex boyfriend is a diabetic and he eats the most sweets. But he says even though im diabetic that doesnt mean im gonna go thru life wanting some chocolate and not have any it's all about moderation.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    When people point out that low/no carb dieting is often synonymous with failure, they are correct. Unfortunately, nearly ever form of dieting is synonymous with failure. The statistical odds of losing weight and keeping it off in the long run is actually quite low. I will say, and this is purely observational and anecdotal data, the people around here who have lost massive amounts of weight and kept it off typically took a balanced approach.

My main issue with low/no carb is that most people have no intention of making low/no carb a permanent lifestyle change. They want to use it as a tool to lose weight and then transition into a way of eating that incorporates carbs to maintain weight. The issue here is that during your weight loss you never learned how to manage carbs. If you have cravings, think you are addicted to carbs, etc, you MUST find some way to deal with this problem. What makes you think that you will be over these issues after losing weight and you'll simply be able to reintroduce carbs with no issues?

In my opinion, to have the greatest chance of maintaining weight loss, you must eat in a manner similar to how you plan on maintaining weight. So if you want to eat carbs at some point in your life, I'd say it's a good idea to learn how to lose weight while eating them. This does not only apply to low carb dieting. You could replace the words "low carb" with anything. Paleo, all whole food, vegan, all of those things should be complete lifestyle changes if you want to use them as weight loss plans, otherwise you run the risk of regaining all your lost weight when you transition back to eating an unrestricted diet. This is why I believe that using a balanced approach from the get go leads to more success then any other plan in the long run.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Only if you count being miserable as healthy

^^^^ Listen to the man above
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    honestly, asking that around here is a loaded question.

you'll basically get two camps of answers... one, that cutting out any macronutrient is unnecessary, "just eat less", "everything in moderation", "only under a doctor's orders", etc. two, that reducing carbs down to a minimum (as from veggies and fiber) is fine and is a proven diet method that works fine.

hint: on this particular part of the forums, camp one outweighs camp two, pitchforks and torches and all. but there are a few groups specifically dedicated to the low-carb ways of eating where you'll find more support and probably more information if you've got questions.

personally, i'm in camp 2. i prefer to low-carb, and i've seen my own health benefits from it.

^ best post ever, it's like Big Brother but people are 100000 times meaner with their comments because they aren't actually facing someone.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    the Ornish/Spectrum Diet is a very low meat/flesh eating plan and very high carbs.....and it works !
    The Atkins Diet is a very high meat/low carb plan.....and it works !

Everything works if you watch your calories and stick with it.
  • mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat a low sugar diet - basically my daily sugar totals come from fruits only (except an occasional treat). For me, I have found that cutting out other sugars from cereals, snack bars, etc. has drastically reduced my sugar cravings. I used to crave ice cream, chocolate, brownies, etc. but since cutting out all of the added sugars, I no longer have the cravings.
    I also eat low carb but mainly because I prefer foods that are lower in carbs anyway - and high protein/low carb meals keep me full.
    But, to each his own I guess.
    I lost weight in the past eating a ton of sugar and processed foods. But I feel MUCH better and healthier doing it this way.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    After watching myself over a few years, I realized that I was addicted to anything made with flour. As flour nowadays is genetically modified it obviously became addictive to me. Because I ate it before that for decades without being addicted.

Of course there are a lot of other problems with our food nowadays. Everything is full with pesticides and added hormones, which may make us fat. But since I cut out everything made with flour, the cravings went away. Of course you still have to eat carbs, just be more picky about it.

Where do you get your GMO flour from? There is no GMO wheat currently commercially available.

Not even sure how one would become addicted to GMO and not non-GMO wheat even if it was available.

I think you are just addicted to confirmation bias...