Protein bars and shakes

Options
Can someone give me the lowdown on protein bars and shakes (like the whey powder). I was at the grocery store the other day and I was going to pick up some protein bars but after looking at them, almost all of them were loaded with sugar. I didn't know if that was ok or not so I didn't pick any up. I also want to get some protein powder but would like some advice first. What brand do you recommend? I'm not looking to bulk up, I just want something for right after my workout or possibly in the morning for breakfast. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I like the Pure Protein high protein bars. I think you'll find them low in sugar and high in protein.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i just do protein shakes and i do jay robb no sugar and yummy with almond milk unsweeten. i stay far away from bars, they make me gain weight and i will never understand why you know but there plenty of shakes with out sugar
  • mommy23skllm
    Options
    Awesome, I'm going to look at gnc.com. I couldn't believe how high in sugar the protein bars were though. I thought they were suppose to be "healthy" for you?
  • msmopar
    msmopar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Top Care Whey protein powder, only 2 grams of sugar. I drink them after workouts which is usually breakfast as well!
  • floridabootcamp
    Options
    look for the bars geared for diabetics and people on low glycemic diets....pure protein, zero impact, atkins, eas carb control and detour (low sugar) are a few that will have very little sugar...most of the bars are made for body builders and not for people looking to lose weight so their ingredients are different than what you need....
  • kimdummermuth
    Options
    I personal use Arbonnes protein shakes and got a receipe for bars I make at home with it. Here is an ingredient list for it http://www.arbonnemarketing.com/PK/dl/pk/2070_us_eng.pdf I really like the bars and even add their fiber powder to the bars. I add the fiber to lots of stuff.. lol Usually people use the protein shakes as a meal replacement when they are trying to lose weight. I like the bars as a healthy snack.. not to much as I add peanut butter and honey in it..
  • kimdummermuth
    Options
    also you need to look at the types of sugar.. some are healthier versions. Just saying. Also Protein consumed after exercise will provide amino acids for building and repair of muscle tissue. I like these as they are also vegan certified and have a pea protien.