weight loss comments

Options
124»

Replies

• Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I do agree with those that say they find it uncomfotable when some people make a big deal about it.Today this one girl at work came up to me and ask me if I was losing weight. I said yes amd she asked me how I did it , I then told her that I exercise and watch my calories and then she said she can see that I am losing weight and that I was bigger before.It felt great but then it was also a reminder on how I let myself go and gained 25 pounds last winter
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me per say, but other than my boyfriend I don't really like the comments.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm finally getting comments and I :heart: it!!

But...one friend said "ooh you are getting skinny, your losing your boobs!" Ok, I am 5ft1, weight 157lbs and my boobs have gone from a 32GG to a teeny weeny 30GG, I am practically flat chested :laugh:
  • APLAWING
    APLAWING Posts: 36
    Options
    Do you enjoy getting weight loss comments? I find it akward when someone comment on my weight loss. At the same time its nice for others to regonize your hard work. How about you? Do you enjoy it, hate it or indifferent ?

I love it... it really makes me push myself harder.
  • teambell1
    teambell1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it and always express appreciation for the comment. I don't overthink it!
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't really like it. I didn't want people commenting on my weight when I was heavier and I don't really want them commenting on my weight now. My weight feels like a very personal and private thing to me. (Although in my head I realize that it is a very "out in the open" kind of thing that everyone can observe.) I also don't ever comment on anyone else who looks like they may have lost weight. It's not my business. It feels judgemental to me.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it, but sometimes it gets a bit irritating when I constantly have to tell them "but I have not lost any weight!" lol. Any way I will take any compliment telling me I look a little bit thinner and I will take the ones that tell me I look fatter. Hey it would push me more either way :)
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    At first I was embarrassed by all the attention and hated people talking about it, but now, I don't mind so much, plus now that I've almost finished my journey it's old news and people have started laying off, I only get the occasional comment these days, and they're usually quite complimentary, so I can live with it. I think people are beginning to see me as a slim person now, not a former fat lass, which is great.

I've got family coming up tomorrow and they've not seen me for about 4 years, so it'll all start again with "Oh my goodness" and what not, but I have mentally prepared myself for it, so I should be fine lol.

I have actually started seeing myself as a slim person too now and so the comments dying down has come at the right time for me, because as long as people were commenting on my weight loss, I was constantly monitoring how I looked and was very negative about my progress because I am a terrible self critic, but now I don't do that, I am slim and that is that.

xXx
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What I hate is when someone compliments me...then asks me how I did it. When I say eating right and exercising, their face falls and they look disappointed. SORRY I DISAPOINTED YOU!!
  • cstroh13
    Options
    I love it, assuming it's well intentioned (really a compliment, and not a backhanded compliment).

One member of my family loves to give the backhanded compliments. Like, "Good job with losing weight, it's about time you did something about it."

I have several relatives who do the same thing! My grandfather has finally stopped maknig those kinds of comments after I proved to him I could do 40 situps. Weird right? Why can't they just give nice compliments and let that be that!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I got a mixed bunch of comments throughout and after my weight loss... from the positive ones to "You need to eat a burger" "You'll put all that weight back on" etc etc.

I wouldn't worry about them, as they say - focus on the good ones.

I did get told I was looking like the super fit gym instructor the other day by a woman in my exercise class. Absolutely made my day and wasn't sure I was going to get my suddenly Jupiter sized head out of the door. (It's been a long old journey to that compliment I tell you! :wink: )
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Also, I hate, HATE HHHAAAAAAATE when someone says I am getting skinny. I am 225lbs right now, I am so far from skinny it's not even funny. That just pisses me off.

SAME. I'm 155 lbs now - 40 lbs heavier than I was in college (when I was a dancer/athlete and not at all skin and bones) and only 3 whole pounds away from the high end of the BMI range for my height. I am far from skinny, but people say that kind of crap to me all the time. "Don't lose too much more! You don't want to get too thin!" I could lose 25% of my body weight right now and still be in the middle of the normal BMI range, relax.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I like them...I don't get many but when I do I smile.

For example 1st one at work was about 1 month ago, then another last week and one today...

Family rarely comments as well...so when I do get them I am happy...

I haven't been told I am getting too skinny, there have been a few off handed comments but I look at the source before I get my undies in a bunch.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    HATE it!!! Hate it!! Hate it!!! Hate it! OMG - let's talk about periods next. Or about our grandparents having wild sex. I don't know - I can't think of much worse things than talking about weight. God please just don't.

Ditto. It always feels a little invasive to me. That said, there are nice compliments ("You look terrific!" or "Wow, you look so fit!") and then there are things people say that maybe they intend as compliments, but they're not. When someone says, "You've lost a lot of weight," I just nod and say, "Yes, I have." I also really dislike the word "skinny" and don't consider it a compliment. I want to be and look fit and strong and healthy, even lean, and I've worked very hard to retain as much LBM as possible during the process. "Skinny" sounds weak to me.

But I think it's true that people don't know what to say, so they blurt out something.

The "How did you do it?" people who want to hear about a pill you took or a kind of tea you drank or the "bad" food you cut out of your diet are in a whole category of their own.