How do you get your vegetables?

Options
kaspatore
kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
We all know that you can eat a TON of vegetables for very little calories. I currently eat a ton of broccoli, zucchini, spinach and carrots. I sneak it into omlettes or make a low cal sauce or make zucchini noodles. I need some fresh, new ideas on how to get other veggies into my diet. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of home made soups. Very easy to make a good tasting low cal soup, with lots of veggies. Bean soups are awesome too!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables so I can't be of much help for sneaking them in, but I can share some of my favorite ways to eat them besides salads.

Sautee fresh tomatoes and garlic in olive oil. Take off heat and stir in some fresh spinach and basil. Toss this with some cooked spaghetti squash or lightly steamed thinly sliced zucchini. This is a great side for grilled chops, fish or steak.

Stews are a great way to eat root vegetables. Soups are great for any kind of vegetable. Greens and sausage are wonderful together. Add vegetables to pasta sauces, puree them if you don't want to see them. Make vegetarian lasanga, or just add more vegetables along with the meat. Substitute thinly sliced zucchini or eggplant for the noodles in lasanga.

Make stir fry! Most vegetables are good grilled or roasted. Salsas are good.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of home made soups. Very easy to make a good tasting low cal soup, with lots of veggies. Bean soups are awesome too!

Yup, it's coming to be soup season. Just about any veggie can be turned into a great soup -- especially if you have an immersion blender to puree it. Basically chicken stock + a veggie + some herbs and spices, heated up in a sauce pan and pureed = soup.

For chicken stock, start saving any chicken bones, scraps, etc. in a gallon baggie in the freezer. When you have a bag full, dump it in a pot with some bay leaves, celery leaves, a carrot, an onion or whatever.

Cover with water and simmer until it tastes more like chicken than like tap water -- the longer the better. The easiest way to simmer for a long time without having to pay attention to it is to shove it, covered, in a 275F oven. Eventually, its aroma will remind you its there and that it's time to take it out of the oven.

Strain out the solids and discard. They have given their all to the stock. If you want to defat the stock, put it in the fridge overnight and lift the fat off the top. Then divide into conveniently sized containers and toss in the freezer for making soup on the spur of the moment.

For example, even if you are not a fan of split pea soup, you may love the bright flavor of fresh pea soup. Cook a cup of frozen peas in a couple cups of chicken stock. Add a bit of grated onion or the like for flavor if you wish. Add basil, a dollop of pesto sauce, dill weed, or mint leaves for flavor. Whir with the blender and voila! Fresh pea soup you can eat hot or cold.

Yup, it;'s just as easy as that.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I pay the animal to eat them for me. I do like spinach salads and jalapenos on nachos.
  • awoodard2012
    Options
    I buy the frozen steam veggies...usually eat the whole bag because the calories are so low
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I pay the animal to eat them for me. I do like spinach salads and jalapenos on nachos.

Too funny!!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies, omelets w/ sauteed veggies, veggies and salsa, veggies and hummus, soups. These are my go-tos. Nothing fancy.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I freakin' love veggies. Can't get enough of them.

Pick any (firm) veggie, toss it in oil, salt, pepper, and spices and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Our favourites are broccoli, cauliflower, beets, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, onions, peppers.... I could go on forever! We also like to chop fresh herbs into the mixture (in lieu of jarred spices) like dill, oregano, basil, or cilantro.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm always a big fan of a sheet pan full of roasted veggies. Parsnips, turnip, carrot, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy
    I love fresh grilled green beans ( I use a stove top grill pan)
    I love grilled endive

All of the above just require some olive oil and seasoning
  • denise31992
    denise31992 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I drink my vegetables. I blend celery, kale, cucumber, and parsley with a hint of chia seeds, pulp included. Although it is not delicious like other juices, I know I am getting my veggies in for the morning.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things in the fall is spaghetti squash... cut it in half and then scoop out the insides. You will see how it comes out just like spaghetti! Boil or steam it a bit to heat and cook it through. Then top with your favorite pasta toppings! Saves tons of calories and carbs. Sometimes I will put it in a baking dish with the sauce, some spinach/zucchini/other veggies, put some cheese on top and bake.
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We all know that you can eat a TON of vegetables for very little calories. I currently eat a ton of broccoli, zucchini, spinach and carrots. I sneak it into omlettes or make a low cal sauce or make zucchini noodles. I need some fresh, new ideas on how to get other veggies into my diet. Thanks everyone!

In these past 8 months I have learned to like lets of new veggies. I like baby Brussels sprouts in the steamer package from green giant. I can eat the whole package for 150 calories! Green giant also makes other steamer veggies and they are great to take fir lunch and add your left over protein. I love the teriyaki steamers and take it at least once a week with leftover chicken.
    Stir fry is big in our house, everyone likes stir fry night, bell peppers, bean sprouts, snow peas, water chestnuts, broccoli, and some raw spinach, add teriyaki or soy or szchaun sauce and put over brown rice. Don't use too much of any of the sauces though because very high in sodium.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille is good and is literally just veg (aubergines, courgette, peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic) other than a bit of olive oil and salt.

Vegetable curries are another winner - I like sweet potato with chickpeas, spinach, courgette, etc. Or in a thai style curry I'd use aubergine, baby sweetcorn, asparagus...

I try to have something green in or with most meals. For example, tonights dinner was veggie anyway (included carrots, lentils, sweet potato, tinned tomatoes) but I had it with steamed greens and peas. Yesterday I had tenderstem broccoli with it.

I'm really fascinated by the idea of this spaghetti squash thing people keep mentioning, but I don't think we get it in the UK as I've never heard of it.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I usually try to have a different veggie every day with dinner and veggie sticks for lunch. And forget the boring celery, carrot and cucumber veggie sticks, that got old really fast. I have bell pepper of every color in my fridge, I keep the stem of the broccoli and after you remove the tougher exterior the inside is really good and taste yet have a better texture than raw broccoli floret. Sugar snaps are very good raw as well. Just find what you like to munch on raw and always bring 2 or 3 kind with you to work.

And then for dinner I make sure to make my veggie differently as often as possible. Cauliflower rice is a household favorite. I often cut zucchini in 2 on the longer side, salt, pepper and sharp grated cheese (that's maybe 50 cals for half of the zucchini), oven at 400 for 20 min or less. Depends how soft you like the zucchini.

Aubergine pizza is very good. Cut 1/2 inch thick slice of aubergine, pile on your favorite pizze style veggie like pepper, mushroom, onion, add about 1 tsp of cheese, oven for 20-30 minute, again depends how soft you like your veggie.

Sugar snap sautéed in olive oil, salt and pepper and high heat are delicious.

Brussel sprout in aluminum foil, a bit of olive oil, garlic and onion, in the oven for 45 minute. very tasty!

I always like frozen peas just cooked in water for a minute or two. I like them crunchy.

Otherwise, just sneak them in your everyday food. Add more in your quiche, meat loaf, sauces, etc... throw spinach in everything. Add veggies in your sandwich. Cucumber, pepper, spinach and the traditional tomato are always a favorite of mine piled in any type of sandwich.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I love my vegetables. I make vegetable pizzas, salads, zucchini cupcakes and stir fry. Tonights dinner is chicken stir fry.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Any tomato-based sauce can have a TONNE of veggies steamed & pureed into it. I've pureed carrots, roasted onions, peppers & peas and put them into meat sauces for pasta dishes, and I've also turned them into a delicious curry with just a bit of tomato paste and chicken stock (and the right seasonings of course)! I have also done cauliflower mashed potatoes (with cheese and garlic). I like sweet potato fries & asparagus as a side to black bean burgers, it's a delicious veggie-packed meal!
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    roasted veggies, pureed and used as a sauce (spinach/garlic) for pizza or pasta,
    Nutribullet beets and sweet potatoes
    Beets as a steak..lol .. but it was good
    soups with low sodium base...
    homemade V8
    steamed spinach cauliflower and broccoli and add a little almond milk and onion/garlic/red pepper flakes or jalapenos to make soup

So many things.. I love veggies.. but NOT a vegan.. I like ribeye every now and then too !
  • jeanamango
    Options
    I love love love grilling my veggies: zucchini, bell peppers, portabellos, onions and asparagus. A little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and even some cayanne. I know olive oil has calories, but you only need a teeny tiny bit to coat the veggies. I grill these at least twice a week with my roommates (who are NOT dieting) and they love it too. Then there is plenty for leftovers.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great ideas - I also do single ingredient soups. Less planning and chopping. Like broccoli and cheese, mushroom, etc
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like roasting them. Don't like the extra oil calories though... Honestly I buy a lot of frozen veggies, steam them in the bag, and add some seasoning.

I also loved mashed cauliflower and mashed carrots (can mix them with potatoes too).