Best meal before weight training in the early AM?

Options
2»

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I usually eat really light, if at all, before a workout. I feel heavy and sluggish when I do. Some stuff I do eat before a workout:

Oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder and fruit

Hard boiled egg and slice of toast

peanut/almond butter on toast
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a banana and preworkout before lifting at 5am. Works well for me. I eat a *kitten* ton of food when I get home from the gym because I don't get very hungry when I wake up at 4:40 to get ready.
  • fitnessman77777
    Options
    What IS best vs what FEELS best in this case are honestly not going to match up well for you. The way your hormones work is very intricate and complicated when it comes to losing weight. In your personal case your trainer was right to eat as little as possible beforehand and go hamm on Complex carbs and slow digesting proteins after. It can all get pretty confusing but most of my knowledge and personal experience come from a program I just tried and lost my remaining twenty pounds! I mean I can see my damn abs again! Its no gimmick or bs and I wont lie to you, you will have to work and maintain it as a lifestyle. nothing else has worked. I'll post the link if you wanna check it out!

http://tinyurl.com/psdadtk

Hope this helps :)
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    What IS best vs what FEELS best in this case are honestly not going to match up well for you. The way your hormones work is very intricate and complicated when it comes to losing weight. In your personal case your trainer was right to eat as little as possible beforehand and go hamm on Complex carbs and slow digesting proteins after. It can all get pretty confusing but most of my knowledge and personal experience come from a program I just tried and lost my remaining twenty pounds! I mean I can see my damn abs again! Its no gimmick or bs and I wont lie to you, you will have to work and maintain it as a lifestyle. nothing else has worked. I'll post the link if you wanna check it out!

http://tinyurl.com/psdadtk

Andddddd.... reported.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

[SPAM url removed]

Classy, Spamming the boards with your bull**** diet.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm a banana person at 5 a.m., protein shake post workout and breakfast sandwich (bacon, egg whites) once I get to work around 9 a.m. If I ate more pre-workout, I sometimes feel queasy, particularly if it's a longer run. If I eat nothing, the tank runs dry on longer sessions. Have fun experimenting.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think the personal trainer recommended eating something because most people wake up hungry, and being hungry sucks, especially if you are engaging in rigorous activity. I'm not into exercising when my stomach is grumbling - listen to your body. My stomach doesn't seem to care that my body will be drawing upon energy from food I ate the day prior and not what I immediately eat. I want to concentrate on my workout and not my hunger pains.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to personal trainers about nutrition. Eat your English muffin with almond butter or whatever makes you feel best. Sure, lifting is about burning fat if that's your goal, but it's more important to focus on gaining strength. If you feel weaker eating a banana before lifting than you do eating something else, eat whatever fuels your workout best.

I eat a Quest bar before I lift at 5AM. I don't have time to sit around and wait 30 minutes before I start working out, so I'm lifting within 10 minutes of eating. It works for me and I feel stronger at that time than I do if I try to lift at the end of the day after all of my meals. Just listen to your body and do what feels best for YOU, not your trainer.
    +1
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Eat a meal that's enough to leave you satisfied but not full. What you're eating doesn't matter so much. I know that I'm no good first thing in the mornings. I need some food in me.