Favorite foods with no sugar?

Options
I have a friend who lost a lot of his weight by cutting down his sugar to just 20g a day. I would like to do the same as I am highly addicted to sugar. I've been trying really hard to come up with good meals. However, I'm definitely finding it difficult to find foods that don't have sugar in them! It seems like everything does!! I made a smoothie yesterday and did not add any sugar but the berries alone made me go over! What kinds of foods do you eat that don't have sugar/have a low sugar count?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lost a lot of his weight by cutting down his sugar to just 20g a day.

This is nothing more than calorie restriction. It's difficult to eat a lot of calories if you exclude nearly all sugars. Just stick to your calorie goal and try to hit your macro (Carbs, Protein, Fat) numbers. There's nothing magical about excluding sugars. You could eat nothing but ice cream and still lose weight if you didn't go over your calorie goal. That's all that really matters.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Processed sugar is bad for you, but you don't have to cut it down, just cut down. Calorie restriction is what causes weight loss, not just cutting one thing out of your diet.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lost a lot of his weight by cutting down his sugar to just 20g a day. I would like to do the same as I am highly addicted to sugar. I've been trying really hard to come up with good meals. However, I'm definitely finding it difficult to find foods that don't have sugar in them! It seems like everything does!! I made a smoothie yesterday and did not add any sugar but the berries alone made me go over! What kinds of foods do you eat that don't have sugar/have a low sugar count?
    The reason he lost the weight because he ate less calories and those calories happened to come from sugar. Just log your foods accurately at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. There's nothing special about sugar you do not need to cut things out to lose weight. I eat a lot of fruit so my sugar count hits 90-100grams most days and as you can see it's not affected me losing weight. Have a look at the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • amparero
    amparero Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I guess I just needed to be a little bit more informed on the subject.
  • MrsVillano
    Options
    Look up the ketogenic diet.... if you wanna eat a whole lot of meat, eggs, and cheese- go for it!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    That's why all these "Eat only spinach" diets work. Honestly, how much spinach can you eat in a day? :laugh: The problem with all of these is that they're not sustainable and you'll burn out so fast trying to be perfect and avoid certain foods. It's not that they don't work but rather that they aren't necessary and not something you can live with for very long.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, but if you really want to eat foods with no sugar, that's up to you. Stuff I normally eat when I am low on carbs for the day: Hard boiled Eggs. Cheese. Other meat. My own tears when I realize that there is no such thing as a low carb dessert.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Agree - the keto diet is good if you eat more sugar than you wish to. It's all personal choice. You won't see me demonizing this way of eating or whatever one you do. I liked the keto/low carb high fat (LCHF) diets - kicked my sugar cravings. Was a bonafide addict. Slowly reintroduced things like fruit, etc. Still stay away from the refined stuff most of the time.

What do I LOVE? Roasted veggies. Roasted broccoli with garlic. Roasted brussels sprouts with salt and pepper AND the Eating Well Balsamic and Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower are a few of my favorites.

If you don't mind eating lots of eggs, meat, cheese (be careful - lactose is a sugar too) it's a fine way to eat for some. If you like to have plenty of variety - stick with If It Fits Your Macros. In other words, calorie count. What I liked about the LCHF is that I didn't necessarily need to count. Protein was so filling for me, I defaulted to eating less than I did eating crap that fit in my macros. I could easily eat 1200 calories of Twix bars and still feel hungry. Not a good idea, but knowing that I was going to stick to protein and veg was a good motivator for me. Still works out to be calorie restriction except I never feel hungry and I'm less likely to snack on the junk food. Oh, and bacon. Beautiful bacon.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for me, restriction is what I have to do. If I say, "oh, i'll allow myself just one," I end up with my face in the bag/package, etc. I'm like the alcoholic who has to say I cannot have this because it is a trigger food for me. And I'm ok with that. People will debate whether or not food is an addiction, but I can say quitting smoking after 20 years was easier than losing weight.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lost a lot of his weight by cutting down his sugar to just 20g a day.

This is nothing more than calorie restriction. It's difficult to eat a lot of calories if you exclude nearly all sugars. Just stick to your calorie goal and try to hit your macro (Carbs, Protein, Fat) numbers. There's nothing magical about excluding sugars. You could eat nothing but ice cream and still lose weight if you didn't go over your calorie goal. That's all that really matters.

This. Exactly. People try all sorts of restrictive diets that reduce or eliminate certain foods/food groups. The only reason they have success is because they're reducing their calories. If you like sugar so much, it may be simpler and more sustainable for you to work on limiting overall calories while still allowing yourself the sugary foods that you love.

It's easy to see somebody have success with a certain diet and want to emulate their results, but it's important to understand the science behind WHY it's working for them before deciding whether or not you truly want to follow suit. If you choose to give up sugar, that's totally up to you - - your life, your body - - I just wanted to give some input. I gave up added sugar and "unhealthy" foods for over a year and I was miserable without my Reese's Cups. The worst part is, I was gaining weight while being miserable without my Reese's Cups. I was"eating clean" or something like that with all whole grains, chicken, fish, veggies, fruits, nuts. . . but whenever I had a craving for one of my restricted foods, I would stuff my face with other things to try and satisfy the craving away. I ended up eating more calories than I had been when I was eating whatever foods I wanted.

I did a ton of research after finding MFP and I've learned that no single food or type of food will make you fat or cause weight gain. Your weight is solely dependent on how many calories you consume. Any food can be fit into a healthy diet, including added sugars. It's about giving your body the carbs, proteins and fats that it needs in a healthy ratio.
  • Dayiscoming
    Dayiscoming Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of info out there. Cutting back on carbs and sugar is good. Avoid adding it to things. Your smoothie sounded great.
    I'm attempting to do the part-time low carb thing. But, I am happy if I keep it to 75-100 grams or less 2-3 days a week. I find it difficult to go down to 50. I also am aiming for 150 grams or less the rest of the days of the week. There's info out there saying you subtract fiber grams from your carb grams to get your "net carbs." That is a bit more do-able and healthier sounding. Hope that helps. :) I have found that I lose more weight when I watch my carbs vs just calorie counting. But, I have done really low carb before and found it was not healthy and made me feel sick. So, I don't recommend that route either.

A few links with info related to what you were asking...
    http://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-carbs-per-day-to-lose-weight/
    http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/weight-loss-plan-2-day-diet (part-time low carb)
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art13088.asp
  • purplenurse711
    purplenurse711 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Can you go the rest of your life without eating sugar in your food? Look at the long term changes you can make in your life. There's no quick fix or restrictive diet that going to give you the tools for life maintenance. Look at calories in vs. calories out. Limit the processed sugars and eat a variety of colorful fruit and veggies that have the good carbs your body need to function.

I been there and done that with the restrictive or "no" sugar mentality. It may work for the short term but it will not get you to your long term goal. Focus on changes you can make a daily part of your life and slowly the results will amaze you!
  • amparero
    amparero Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Everyone on this website is so helpful! From all of the information I've received, I believe that I'm just going to start cutting out processed and added sugars. I definitely don't think I could live my life with no sugar whatsoever! I will stick to my calorie counting. Thank you everyone!