Need Help Figuring Out Correct Calorie Goals

Options
Hi, everyone. Up until now, I've always just trusted the caloric calculations that MFP gave me when I started my account, and have been eating accordingly. I've lost weight this way, but after reading many of the threads and posts around the forum, I've started to wonder if perhaps I'm eating fewer calories than I should be. I never realized that the guided calculations might not be accurate. And I keep seeing all these posts about TDEE and BMR (which, tbh, I don't totally understand still...) and how people who are my age and have similar stats are eating more calories while still losing weight.

I'm not math savvy at ALL, though, so I'm wondering if someone could help me recalculate my daily calorie goal? Maybe it will end up being the same as what MFP already told me, which is fine, but I just want to make sure that I'm not under eating or anything.

I used a few online calculators and figured out that in order to maintain my CW, I should eat 2032; I also learned that my BMR is 1572.

So...what exactly do I do with this information now?? Lol.

BTW, I don't know if this information is necessary, but:

- I'm a 27 year old female
- I'm 5'1"
- CW is 174 lbs
- I'm mostly sedentary...or at least, I think I am; I've seen different definitions for sedentary, so now I'm a bit confused. But I pretty much sit when I'm not exercising or doing basic chores/housework
- I exercise 4-5x a week for 30-60 minutes, focusing mostly on cardio -- walking/jogging, kickboxing, low impact/moderate impact aerobics -- but I've also recently started doing some very light strength training (light weights or body weights at this point).

Very grateful for any help and advice! Like I said, math and I aren't friends, so I need help. LOL. Thanks!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. That's the amount of calories you use just by being alive, before you even move. Eating below that level over a period of time is bad for your system.

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure - the actual amount of calories you use up each day, including all your walking around, shopping, exercise. If you eat the same number as you use up, then your weight will stay the same.

SO..........

Eat between those 2 figures, and you'll lose weight safely.

BUT......

All numbers are approximations. Clearly you don't use up exactly the same number of calories each and every day, so TDEE is an average, and a very approximate one at that. Don't get too hung up on finding the One True Number - pick one to start with (say 1800 in your case) try that for a few weeks, see how it goes.
  • desidieter
    Options
    ^^ Thank you! That helps. And I agree about not being obsessed with One True Magic number. I realize there really isn't one. Like I said, though, I just sort of blindly trusted the MFP calculation and then had a bit of an 'aha!' moment after reading some of the threads on the site.

A few more questions, though: if I go in and change my overall calories, will my macros change automatically? Or do I need to manually do the math and then put in those numbers as well? If the latter, how do I go about figuring out my macro requirements?
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Your macros should change, based on the defualt percentages that MFP uses. If you want to have different percentages, then use the "custom" method to set up your targets.
  • desidieter
    Options
    Okay. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on your stats, I would put you at 1700 calories, macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Also, I would at resistance/weight training to your routine or at least do 3 days of weight training and 2 of cardio. This will not only help you get stronger, but it will increase muscle retention, maintain lean body mass and metabolic functions. Also, if you don't have a food scale, I would recommend picking one up. It will ensure accuracy when it comes to tracking calories. The main advantage to use the TDEE method is its easier to calculate where you maintain so as you get leaner you can move closer to that goal amount to make the transition easier. Try this for 4-6 weeks and adjust based on actual results.
  • desidieter
    Options
    Based on your stats, I would put you at 1700 calories, macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Also, I would at resistance/weight training to your routine or at least do 3 days of weight training and 2 of cardio. This will not only help you get stronger, but it will increase muscle retention, maintain lean body mass and metabolic functions. Also, if you don't have a food scale, I would recommend picking one up. It will ensure accuracy when it comes to tracking calories. The main advantage to use the TDEE method is its easier to calculate where you maintain so as you get leaner you can move closer to that goal amount to make the transition easier. Try this for 4-6 weeks and adjust based on actual results.

Thank you so much! All of this information and advice is great. I appreciate it. :)
  • ksearles625
    ksearles625 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hijack your thread but could someone do it for me? I had EXACTLY the same question so I don't wanna clutter the board w the same question. I am 5'4" 197lbs.... Female...lightly active... I don't think I'm eating enough w/ MFP's guidelines... Pretty please?
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Use the Scoobys calcualtor linked to above - what does that give you?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! All of this information and advice is great. I appreciate it. :)

I'm 2 1/2 inches taller than you, and about 30 pounds lighter, and I eat around 1650 on days when I'm sedentary, and that's to lose 1/2 lb a week, so I'm just keeping around a 250 cal deficit per day. With more weight and less height, you're probably really close to the same. Increase a bit on days when you're more active, like days when you walk more (major shopping, not just running to the grocery store) or do any real exercise.

On more active days, I can eat in excess of 2000 calories and still be under my burn for the day. If you can afford it, I highly recommend a fitness tracker of some sort. It will take the guesswork out of how much you're burning.