• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    OP...you ROCK!

Nicely said.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    For me, it was partially family conditioning (my entire family was obese and it was just taught to me because no one knew any better). And it was partially growing up in an abusive situation - my mother was NPD and was a master at making me think I was crazy. It didn't help that I was already being taught bad habits and being put down by my own family (who had little room to talk, honestly), but when I experienced others outside of my family beginning to do it as well, I just gave up hope that my life could be any better - I just accepted that, yeah, this is the way I was always going to be and I'd either learn to live with it or kill myself.

I attempted suicide many, many, many times.

It was only when I was diagnosed with diabetes that I "woke up", if you will. I'd been through years of counseling for my mental health and was finally on the road to healing from that, but once the diabetes took hold... I guess I just said, okay, my mind's good, now let's work on my body.

And here I am.

I judge NO ONE. I can't afford to. I do not know what someone else has been through in their lives, and for me to make a pronouncement that "X is better than you are"? When I'm omniscent, I'll give you a call. Until then - I don't have the power or the right to say I'm better than anyone.

Peace.
    I hope you get the peace you deserve. :brokenheart: Glad you are still here* to give us a piece of your mind! :flowerforyou:
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I make an active attempt not to judge people. I struggle when someone says they are trying to lose weight, but are eating fast food several times a day. Or that they need money, but turn down a job they think they are too good for. In those moments I instantly judge the person but try to go back and correct my thinking. Judging someone doesn't do anything productive, and quite frankly what someone else does is none of my damn business. I am in control of my life, and my household, and that's the only thing I get to control.

OP- I didnt see the post you were replying to, but I appreciated this one :-)
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't know about others, but I make judgements about people every time I see them. Some judgements are positive, some negative. What I try and do is not change the way I interact with people when my judgement towards them is negative.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I don't know about others, but I make judgements about people every time I see them. Some judgements are positive, some negative. What I try and do is not change the way I interact with people when my judgement towards them is negative.

I was just gonna post that. It's okay to judge people; I think we all do that in split seconds all the time. It's not okay to say hurtful things to someone you've judged, because 9 out of 10 times you've judged them wrong.*

*except for when I'm judging people on their driving.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    *except for when I'm judging people on their driving.
    LOLOL_zpsbbe4968a.gif

______________________________________-

Awesome post, OP

I can honestly say I do not have any opinion/judgment/impression of people based on their weight. This could be because I'm morbidly obese. I DO get jealous when I see "fit" women, but I don't judge them. My train of thought is, "It's gonna take forever for me to get there and even then I'm not gonna look that damn good."

Or I'll see a teenage kid with his pants half down his legs and his boxers hanging out and get all grossed out, and I'll say, "pull up your pants, geez." (in my mind, not at the kid)

If a mom is screaming bloody murder at her child, just for being a child...I get furious, and I get furious when a kid is screamin bloody murder for no reason and the mother does nothing. And yes, I realize some children are mentally challenged, etc...however...I'm referring to children who are just flat-out spoiled rotten.

It's that kinda stuff I judge on (which is JUST AS BAD as judging according to weight, etc). I don't know...as far as bodies go I just don't have a judgmental reaction (probably because I'm morbidly obese and I'm about the worst it can get already).
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Santayana - "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it",

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!
  • xxantiheroxx
    Options
    I judge fat, not people. If someone is obese, they need to lose weight; it's that simple (and if someone is underweight they need to gain weight). I don't judge them as a person until I hear them try to deny that they need to lose weight, or try to spout some HAES nonsense. If they are making an effort to lose weight good for them. We've all been there (well most of us). If they are making excuses/ externalizing their weight as beyond their control/ blaming others/ trying to justify their obesity/ etc, that reflects poorly on them as a person in my opinion.

This push by some to redefine "acceptance" as "approval" isn't fooling anyone. I don't approve of being fat, and I never will. I tolerate it, and it's up to the individual whether or not they want to be fat, but I am not going to stop saying that being fat is bad. It's unhealthy and it looks gross.

I have been fat. I still am packing more pounds than I would like. That being fat is unhealthy and looks gross shouldn't be news or surprising to anybody, whether they are fat or not. It's simply a fact. Water is wet. Being fat is gross. That isn't an insult or a jab or a judgment on any person. It is just a statement that if you are fat I think you should try your best to lose weight. You deserve respect and love. But you shouldn't be fat.

It all comes down to personal responsibility and making an effort to better oneself physically, mentally, spiritually. It has nothing to do with whether someone is currently fat.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm considered morbidly obese. There... now I've said it! *looks around herself* Nope, nothing happened.

I have been working hard to lose weight for years. I have gone on high protein/low carb diets, no carb diets, high carb diets, no sugar diets, starvation diets, vegetarian diets, and so many more. I have even had bariatric surgery (to the tune of $10k) and haven't lost much of anything. I'm sure you're like "okay, where's the exercise?" I'm glad you asked....

I have a black belt in tae kwon do. I do weight training, walking, running, dancing, yoga, martial arts, and lots of other "sports" activities. I can maintain my stamina of working outside for hours on end doing one thing or another. (My dad and step mom live on a ranch and there are lots of chores and projects to be done there.) I am constantly on the go with my full time job, full time school, gym workouts, married life, and social life. Here's the kicker.... I don't lose weight, I just gain. When I was at the bariatric surgery followup appointments, they wanted to get a body composition done on me. That opened my eyes to what I REALLY look like. Instead of needing to lose 130+ lbs I only needed to lose 60. That's just 60 lbs of fat. I weigh 280 lbs and they wanted me to get down to about 200-220 lbs. That means I'm almost solid muscle.

I just did a martial arts performance at a charity benefit a couple weeks ago, the amount of energy that I put into what I do made some of the other women (all a healthy looking, fit set mind you) astounded them! They were in shock! I always loved how I may be bigger but I can still kick your butt; it's very disillusioning. But... I'm not the only one in my martial arts system that is heavy. There are a few men that are about 6 ft tall and weigh more than I do. I learned from them that I don't have to be able to jump around and do arial kicks and stuff, it's rather hard to move a mountain when it's still. Meaning, I can just be tough enough to take the punches and kicks and still score a point or so with the agile fighters.

Recently my dad said something that really hurt me. First off, my family are big people. I didn't do sports growing up. I was the "fat kid" for a long time. I didn't like the sports that were offered at my schools so I never got involved. I was in band and that was my extracurricular life. My family weren't really active anyway and the diet was not very good either. Back to now, I recently found out I have PCOS so it is VERY difficult to lose weight. You could be doing EVERYTHING correctly and still not lose weight. It's a blessing and a curse at the same time. My dad has been on a high protein diet since the beginning of May and has lost 65 lbs. He wants me to do this diet too. I told him no. He is so adamant that I do it his way instead of my own way. I decided I'm going to show him that there are more than just 1 path to reach a goal.

"I don't judge obese people" is a wonderful thing.... the fat woman just might be capable of kicking a skinny person's butt in many different arenas.

When you mentioned you'd been on every diet under the sun, and all of your fitness activities, and hadn't lost a pound. I knew immediately what was wrong with you. I remember that, all too well. I'd been heavy my entire life, and in high school, I wanted to be a cheerleader. I had cheered in elementary/middle school, but I went to a county school, and it wasn't really a big deal if you were "the fat cheerleader". In the big city high school, you had to bring your a-game if you wanted to cheer, so I knew I had to lose weight. For a solid year, I took an hour class of step aerobics five nights a week, and every Saturday morning. I stressed out majorly if I ate close to 1000 calories a day, I preferred to keep it at around 800. Ask me how much weight I lost in that year. Not one single pound. I gained a lot of muscle, but I lost nothing. I was devastated. After having a pilonidal cyst on my tailbone rupture, and being told that there was no way I'd be able to cheer, play volleyball, tennis, softball, or anything where I might potentially fall, I just gave up. It wasn't until I was 24 and 400lbs that I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was literally dying by this time, because my body was producing so much insulin that it was poisoning itself. I didn't absorb any of it, and I wasn't metabolizing food.

I'd lost most of my hair, and had resorted to wearing clip on hair, all of my hormone levels were out of whack, I slept roughly 16 hours a day, and it wasn't remotely enough, and I hadn't had a period in well over a year-- the kicker I knew I wasn't pregnant. People don't understand what a wicked disease this is. There is NO cure. We live with this. We will die with this. It's not something we can just decide we don't *have* any more, and it doesn't "go away" if we don't have our ovaries or uterus any more. It's so complex that many doctors don't know how to treat us, or for that matter, what's even wrong with us. I'm thankful that I found a doctor that did know what was wrong, and I was actually a guinea pig for a treatment. I'm thankful, because it saved my life. That's why I'm here today, why I have the quality of life I have, and why I'm 177lbs lighter. My PCOS is under control, I have a good quality of life, and overall, I'm alive.

I know what it's like. It's not easy living with PCOS. If you need a friend who understand, I'm here. *hugs*
  • Miss_1999
    Options
    I judge fat, not people. If someone is obese, they need to lose weight; it's that simple (and if someone is underweight they need to gain weight). I don't judge them as a person until I hear them try to deny that they need to lose weight, or try to spout some HAES nonsense. If they are making an effort to lose weight good for them. We've all been there (well most of us). If they are making excuses/ externalizing their weight as beyond their control/ blaming others/ trying to justify their obesity/ etc, that reflects poorly on them as a person in my opinion.

This push by some to redefine "acceptance" as "approval" isn't fooling anyone. I don't approve of being fat, and I never will. I tolerate it, and it's up to the individual whether or not they want to be fat, but I am not going to stop saying that being fat is bad. It's unhealthy and it looks gross.

I have been fat. I still am packing more pounds than I would like. That being fat is unhealthy and looks gross shouldn't be news or surprising to anybody, whether they are fat or not. It's simply a fact. Water is wet. Being fat is gross. That isn't an insult or a jab or a judgment on any person. It is just a statement that if you are fat I think you should try your best to lose weight. You deserve respect and love. But you shouldn't be fat.

It all comes down to personal responsibility and making an effort to better oneself physically, mentally, spiritually. It has nothing to do with whether someone is currently fat.

Could we please have a picture of you, so that we might judge your end all, be all beauty for ourselves, and decide how gross or not gross we think you are?

You know, I'm going to list some things that are gross:

Snail slime
    Dirty toilets
    Not washing your hands after you use the toilet
    Cat hairballs

Things that are NOT gross:

Human beings regardless of size.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Could we please have a picture of you, so that we might judge your end all, be all beauty for ourselves, and decide how gross or not gross we think you are?

Snail slime
    Dirty toilets
    Cat hairballs

Why would you let yourself take someone's opinion personally? Don't get all sarcastic because someone makes you unhappy with what they say.
  • Miss_1999
    Options

Snail slime
    Dirty toilets
    Cat hairballs

Why would you let yourself take someone's opinion personally? Don't get all sarcastic because someone makes you unhappy with what they say.

I'll be honest with you, personally, I don't give a **** what other people think about me. It matters not. If you like me, if you don't, I sleep the same at night (general you, that is). I've lived long enough to realize that people are going to think what they want to. HOWEVER, with that said, I've seen the damage some of these comments have caused others on the other thread in question, and yeah, like the comment above. People will dish out **** like that, but then, then, they hide behind an avatar. If you have an opinion, stand behind it, and show who you are. Although, it is a sad day, when a human being is gross for being fat. I'll be honest with ya, I think my body is a hell of a lot more gross right now with all of this skin hanging off of it than it was when I weighed 400lbs. Am I healthier? Absolutely, in so many ways, do I *personally* think my body looks better naked? Nope. Not by a long shot. Does that mean every person with excess skin is gross? Absolutely not. If someone has an issue with themselves, they don't need to be projecting it on to everyone else.

I understand that we all have our struggles. Everyone has a story. Everyone has problems. Don't pass or project an issue you (general you) have onto another person. Do we all pass judgments from time to time? Of course. We're human beings. I work on that daily, do to my best to realize that everyone has a struggle, to know that people have all been through something I haven't, and I don't know what they might be dealing with.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Merriam-Webster defines "gross" as: "big, bulky, excessively fat" (definition 2a).

Congratulations, you've learned elementary vocabulary; here's your sparkly little star and your glitter pencil!

I'm done saying things nicely to people who *clearly* deserve the alternative.

I'm off to do some squats. You know...to try to build some muscle under all my disgusting *grossness*.
  • xxantiheroxx
    Options
    I never claimed to be the end all, be all of beauty, all I said was that being fat is gross. To the extent that I am fat, I am gross. Seriously. It's not personal at all; I don't think fat people are lesser humans, I just think that they need to lose weight because fat is gross. This goes for me as well.

Like if you were unfortunate enough to be born with some sort of deformity, that would be gross. It doesn't mean you, as a person, are bad or ugly or underserving of respect or love. But the deformity itself, which is not you, is gross.

Excess skin hanging all over the place is gross too.

It's just true. Some people may find it attractive. I don't and I don't deserve to be silenced for having an opinion just because you don't like it. This is not in any way an attack on you or anyone else as a human being; you are worth just as much as anyone else, skinny, fat, black, white, gay, hetero, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I have some stretch marks that I find gross. There are other things about myself I don't find particularly attractive. The things I can change I work my best to change. The things I can't I accept as "I'm never going to be perfect, and some things about me I find a little gross". It's not the end of the world.

No need to get defensive. No you can't have a picture. Why do you need a picture anyways, it's not like I have commented on anyone's picture or made any personal remarks, yet you right away want to attack me, personally, because I have an opinion you don't like.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i make snap judgments about things and people all the time. I try not to, but brains are wired that way. What i don't do- concrete that judgement to the point that it cannot be changed or voice a hurtful opinion about it.

if you find something about a person gross and you are not a personal friend of said person to the point where you can suggest something in a tactful way, keep your hole shut. don't blurt something out that you wouldn't be caught dead saying out in meatspace where people can actually see you and then hide behind anonymity and "honesty". yes honesty can be brutal- but it doesn't have to be. we don't need more simon cowells in the world poking at insecurities and imperfections until they bleed.

if you are going to judge someone without ever trying to get to know them, keep it to yourself. just because you have an opinion doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to be privy to it.

fat people already know they are fat. people with deformities already know it's there.<insert physical imperfection here> the owner already knows. and they may have spent a lifetime trying to live with it, hide it, or fit in, or learn to play it off somehow. what they don't need is someone telling them how gross they are. they are not trying to offend your delicate sensibilities by being.

i understand looking for validation of an opinion or a thought- but if you have to think long and hard about posting something- just don't, if it's not something you can ask in meatspace to an actual person, then probably Secret or 4chan should be your destination.

Thanks OP. that post was bothering me a lot yesterday.
  • xxantiheroxx
    Options
    On this forum, in this thread, about judgments people make, my comment is clearly germane to the conversation. I have not called out anyone for being fat or having a deformity or anything else. I have called no one gross. I have simply stated an opinion on fat, and a few other things I personally find unattractive. I have no idea whether anyone on here is fat or not. It's not the point, as nothing I have said is directed at any person.

By and large I agree with you. If talking about how fat someone is irrelevant to the conversation then there is absolutely no reason to bring it up. In this thread, however, it is to the point.

I don't doubt there are many fat people on these message boards that could, if they wanted to, read my words uncharitably and take what I say personally (what I am saying IS NOT PERSONAL), and become offended. That is in no way my intent though, and I am not going to just be quiet in a thread where my opinion is relevant just because some one may take my words the wrong way.

If sentiments such as the ones I have expressed are "triggering" to some, those people should not be reading a thread about judgment and obesity, because such sentiments are certainly not few and far between and are certainly pertinent to the discussion. Anecdotally, most of the people I have ever met find fat to be gross.

The FA/HAES movements are actively trying to silence the majority of people, obese/not alike, from saying what everyone already knows, to save some feelings.

I wouldn't not say that being in a constant state of drunkenness, being aneorexic, or smoking a pack a day is attractive just to save the feelings of alcoholics, people with aneorexia, or chain-smokers, yet with obesity for some reason everyone has to be hush-hush.

I get that obese people "know" they are obese. To the ones on MFP who are trying to make positive lifestyle choices to change that fact, I applaud them. That doesn't mean that when the subject of obesity comes up I need to keep my mouth shut about how obesity is bad.
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ron-Gosling-Clapping-Reaction-Gif-At-An-Awards-Show.gif

Well said OP! Cheers! :drinker:
  • Miss_1999
    Options

Like if you were unfortunate enough to be born with some sort of deformity, that would be gross. It doesn't mean you, as a person, are bad or ugly or underserving of respect or love. But the deformity itself, which is not you, is gross.

Seriously, I'm at the point where I'm almost speechless. What I'm trying to do, and help you understand here is that it's a package deal. What you see, it's ALL part of a person. Their "deformities, their scars, their *fat*, and/or lack there of, everything about our bodies tells a story. No, it's *not* our soul, but it's part of what we've been through. It's part of who we are. Saying "your fat is gross, but you aren't gross", no, that does't fly, nor does, "wow, you were born with a cleft palate, that's gross, but you aren't". Nope, not gonna fly. If you think these things are gross, that's fine, own them. Own them all day long and twice on Sunday, but don't be a hypocrite and say that the people associated with them aren't "gross", too. It's a package deal. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else. You can think the sky is purple all the live long day if you wish. It's your absolute right, with that said, when you put it out on an internet forum, or anywhere else, just because you have an opinion, it doesn't mean someone won't challenge it, or question it, because most likely, they will.

As for me being insecure. No. I'm simply a realist. I call it like I see it. I'm not beating myself up because of where I was, or where I am now. I like what I have going on, and I like who I am as a person. I genuinely care about other people, and I take a stand for those who may not have the strength to fight for themselves, or be able to find the words. I don't like seeing people hurt, and after I read this thread, and the other, I saw a lot of hurt, and that bothered me. It bothered me to know that here, of all places, where people where coming as a safe haven for support, they saw something that brought them down, and made them feel bad about themselves. Yeah, that made me angry, and you better believe, as a natural born leader, I stepped up to the plate. I know I can't save the world. I don't want to be Superwoman, or the President, but I don't like seeing others hurt by what I see as others either spouting off without thinking, or misinformation. The other thread was an absolute train wreck. Let's don't make this one the same way.
  • xxantiheroxx
    Options

Seriously, I'm at the point where I'm almost speechless. What I'm trying to do, and help you understand here is that it's a package deal. What you see, it's ALL part of a person. Their "deformities, their scars, their *fat*, and/or lack there of, everything about our bodies tells a story. No, it's *not* our soul, but it's part of what we've been through. It's part of who we are. Saying "your fat is gross, but you aren't gross", no, that does't fly, nor does, "wow, you were born with a cleft palate, that's gross, but you aren't". Nope, not gonna fly. If you think these things are gross, that's fine, own them. Own them all day long and twice on Sunday, but don't be a hypocrite and say that the people associated with them aren't "gross", too. It's a package deal. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else. You can think the sky is purple all the live long day if you wish. It's your absolute right, with that said, when you put it out on an internet forum, or anywhere else, just because you have an opinion, it doesn't mean someone won't challenge it, or question it, because most likely, they will.

You say it doesn't fly and I say it does. Many people with the means who are born with cleft palates, for instance, have cosmetic surgery for purely cosmetic reasons, because they think cleft palates are unattractive. The liposuction industry is huge, because people don't like looking at fat.

Saying that your fat or deformity or whatever is "part of you" is ridiculous. If someone has really greasy crappy looking hair and hasn't bathed in days someone makes a comment about how people should practice good hygiene in a thread about hygiene that IS NOT an attack on the person. I have no idea what anyone on here looks like, whether there pictures are accurate, etc, and I don't really care because I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ANYONE ON HERE. I am just talking about fat in general and that I think it's gross and that people who are fat should try to lose weight, just like someone who hasn't showered in 3 weeks should hop in the tub.

You are still trying to defend not showering, which is fine, but don't call me an *kitten* because I think people should shower and am not afraid to voice that opinion.

As for me being insecure. No. I'm simply a realist. I call it like I see it. I'm not beating myself up because of where I was, or where I am now. I like what I have going on, and I like who I am as a person. I genuinely care about other people, and I take a stand for those who may not have the strength to fight for themselves, or be able to find the words. I don't like seeing people hurt, and after I read this thread, and the other, I saw a lot of hurt, and that bothered me. It bothered me to know that here, of all places, where people where coming as a safe haven for support, they saw something that brought them down, and made them feel bad about themselves. Yeah, that made me angry, and you better believe, as a natural born leader, I stepped up to the plate. I know I can't save the world. I don't want to be Superwoman, or the President, but I don't like seeing others hurt by what I see as others either spouting off without thinking, or misinformation. The other thread was an absolute train wreck. Let's don't make this one the same way.

I never saw the other thread, and I am not trying to cause a train wreck. I am simply saying that it's bad to be fat and that if someone is fat they should try to lose weight. I'm glad you like "what you have going on". Really. What I like more is people trying to better themselves regardless of where they are currently at, and not making excuses for their poor choices. Do I know what anyone's choices on here are? No. And I'm not accusing anyone here of making poor choices. All I am saying is 7000+ calories a day doesn't eat itself, and regardless of how any of us got to the point is rather inconsequential. What matters is recognizing that being obese is a problem and doing one's best to rectify that problem. I don't judge a person based on whether or not they are fat, but I judge the state of being fat, and being fat is bad. That doesn't mean I think fat people are bad.

You seem to have trouble with the concept that an attribute that a person has can be viewed as good or bad without the person being views as good or bad, so lets try to flip the argument to show that a bad person can have good attributes to help you understand.

I think Hitler was a BAD person.

Hitler seems to have had a healthy body-weight (at least at some points, I'm not a Hitler expert).

Your argument would go like this:

1. Having a healthy body weight is GOOD

2. Hitler had a healthy body weight.

C. Therefore, Hitler was a GOOD PERSON.

This does not follow, at all, because having a single GOOD attribute is not determinative on whether someone is a GOOD PERSON.

Likewise, when I say that being obese is BAD, or GROSS, that does not mean I view all obese PEOPLE as BAD PEOPLE or GROSS PEOPLE. They have an attribute that I think is bad and gross and that I think they should work to change, but I am making no judgment on them as people, and there is no one you need to be "standing up" for, as I am not attacking anyone.
  • Miss_1999
    Options

You say it doesn't fly and I say it does. Many people with the means who are born with cleft palates, for instance, have cosmetic surgery for purely cosmetic reasons, because they think cleft palates are unattractive. The liposuction industry is huge, because people don't like looking at fat.

Saying that your fat or deformity or whatever is "part of you" is ridiculous. If someone has really greasy crappy looking hair and hasn't bathed in days someone makes a comment about how people should practice good hygiene in a thread about hygiene that IS NOT an attack on the person. I have no idea what anyone on here looks like, whether there pictures are accurate, etc, and I don't really care because I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ANYONE ON HERE. I am just talking about fat in general and that I think it's gross and that people who are fat should try to lose weight, just like someone who hasn't showered in 3 weeks should hop in the tub.

You are still trying to defend not showering, which is fine, but don't call me an *kitten* because I think people should shower and am not afraid to voice that opinion.

I never saw the other thread, and I am not trying to cause a train wreck. I am simply saying that it's bad to be fat and that if someone is fat they should try to lose weight. I'm glad you like "what you have going on". Really. What I like more is people trying to better themselves regardless of where they are currently at, and not making excuses for their poor choices. Do I know what anyone's choices on here are? No. And I'm not accusing anyone here of making poor choices. All I am saying is 7000+ calories a day doesn't eat itself, and regardless of how any of us got to the point is rather inconsequential. What matters is recognizing that being obese is a problem and doing one's best to rectify that problem. I don't judge a person based on whether or not they are fat, but I judge the state of being fat, and being fat is bad. That doesn't mean I think fat people are bad.

You seem to have trouble with the concept that an attribute that a person has can be viewed as good or bad without the person being views as good or bad, so lets try to flip the argument to show that a bad person can have good attributes to help you understand.

I think Hitler was a BAD person.

Hitler seems to have had a healthy body-weight (at least at some points, I'm not a Hitler expert).

Your argument would go like this:

1. Having a healthy body weight is GOOD

2. Hitler had a healthy body weight.

C. Therefore, Hitler was a GOOD PERSON.

This does not follow, at all, because having a single GOOD attribute is not determinative on whether someone is a GOOD PERSON.

Likewise, when I say that being obese is BAD, or GROSS, that does not mean I view all obese PEOPLE as BAD PEOPLE or GROSS PEOPLE. They have an attribute that I think is bad and gross and that I think they should work to change, but I am making no judgment on them as people, and there is no one you need to be "standing up" for, as I am not attacking anyone.

I won't be a smart *kitten*, on this one and tell you that I know quite a bit about Hitler, WWII, and Germany. I'm absolutely fascinated by history. But case in point, you made my case for me, by the logic that you present, that *fat* people are gross. You showed that the Supreme Chancellor of Germany, a man, that, for all intents and purposes was considered to be of average height and weight, and by your standards would be considered "not gross", was yet, a vile, heinous human being, not because of the way that he looked, not because of his body, any part of his body, or the package that came with him, but because of the acts that he, and his inner circle carried out. Now, you know who Adolf Hitler was. You know the heinous acts that he and his inner circle orchestrated and committed. The average person, walking down the street. We know nothing about them. We don't know if they have bodies under their homes, or if they are running a soup kitchen for the poor. We don't know their hearts. If they are obese, we don't know the reason. If they have scars, we don't know why. If they have a deformity, we don't know the cause.

The point I'm making, it took me a great many years to look beyond myself and realize there a hell of a lot more people on this earth than just me. People go through things that I can't even fathom. My worst day on this earth, may be the best day that someone is praying for. I don't know their struggles and successes, and I sure can't tell by looking at them. I have zero room to look at another human being and judge who they are, or what they've been through, simply by what they look like. I constantly remind myself of this if I find myself making a judgement when I'm looking at a person. There are times, and often, I do see people and wonder what their stories are, what they've been through, what they are going through, are they happy, and various other questions, simply because I am a curious person by nature, but until someone actually opens their mouth, and speaks, and lets me in on who they are, what they believe, and where they stand on things, I do my best to reserve judgement.